Girls, 12 and 14, arrested in death of bullied Florida girl who killed hers

you are putting words into my sentence that i never said, you just assume that I said all styles compliment each other? and I know more about judo and karate than you comprehend. just because the moves are different doesn't mean the technique or the over all point isnt the same... judo and karate are both used to regards of using your opponents strength and weight against them from a defensive point. though if any defensive art should be taken then I would suggest wing chun as its an aggressive defence which uses the aspect of using your opponent against them selves but with a much more aggressive tone

You missed the point because Karate is a striking martial art, and Judo is reactive with throws, locks, and grappling.  The only strikes in Judo are in forms/kata.

oh no, people are talking bad about me online... my life is over. boo hooooooooooo

I am sorry, but how the hell are kids being raised that they can't seem to stand up for themselves and move to suicide as an answer? I hear all these news stories about kids being bullied online and facebook, and think... why the **** can't they just turn the internet off and go out and live life and make friends of their own?

Seriously, the bigger issue than some snot nosed bullies is the fact that the parents can't raise a well adjusted kid that can think for themselves and stop being bullied. I wager other issues were happening in the kid's life... probably at home and with the parents themselves.

Talk about missing the point entirely. 

You're saying she should "go out and live life and make friends of their own" - these girls were probably threatening to kick her head in if she went out or whatever, and she DID have friends but they were turned against her by these bullies. 

Why should she stay off social media? She has as much right to be on there as everybody else. You're saying she should stand up to these bullies, but in the next breath you're saying she shouldn't use Facebook if she's being bullied on there. Make your mind up. 

Assertiveness doesn't come naturally to some people. You can't always "teach" people to be a certain way no matter how much you want to. 

• Like 3

you are putting words into my sentence that i never said, you just assume that I said all styles compliment each other? and I know more about judo and karate than you comprehend. just because the moves are different doesn't mean the technique or the over all point isnt the same... judo and karate are both used to regards of using your opponents strength and weight against them from a defensive point. though if any defensive art should be taken then I would suggest wing chun as its an aggressive defence which uses the aspect of using your opponent against them selves but with a much more aggressive tone

Than I comprehend? As in you think you know more about Judo and Karate than I do or that you know more than I think you do?

Than I comprehend? As in you think you know more about Judo and Karate than I do or that you know more than I think you do?

second one :p I realise how my use of that may have been misleading 

Talk about missing the point entirely. 

You're saying she should "go out and live life and make friends of their own" - these girls were probably threatening to kick her head in if she went out or whatever, and she DID have friends but they were turned against her by these bullies. 

Why should she stay off social media? She has as much right to be on there as everybody else. You're saying she should stand up to these bullies, but in the next breath you're saying she shouldn't use Facebook if she's being bullied on there. Make your mind up. 

Assertiveness doesn't come naturally to some people. You can't always "teach" people to be a certain way no matter how much you want to. 

Point? What point, that she was not prepared for life? I think I nailed that, and more.

I see a bunch of excuses from posters, and half-baked attempts to twist things to suit the victim and 'poor her' mentality.

So, first, I see that you assume something important to blanket why she couldn't go out and make friends... 'these girls were probably threatening to kick her head in if she went out or whatever'. OK, so let's say these folks were threatening to kick her butt, so she locks herself in? Tells her parents? What? She could have had her own life and not worried about the other kids, but she didn't. (Maybe a sign of something greater as an issue, but one cannot assume that in itself.)

You then bring up that she had friends, but they were like all totally turned against her... great umm friends there, and wow on the bully's part that they could turn all her friends (seems like maybe the whole circle of people involved are kinda weak minded to start with, but who knows, that's an assumption).

You then twist the part of facebook and staying off social media equaling not making up one's mind... hello there, I guess you first have to assume that the only way to stand up to people is through facebook/social media? That shows a bigger issue in today's folks. Can't she just ignore the haters, or block them, or umm talk to her real friends (assuming she won them back from all being turned). Naw, in your mind, she has to stay on social media cause well, she has the right to be there. Fine. Be there, but ignore the idiots - you can't let it be a given that she will continue to read and focus on the negative bullying... that's giving a free pass for silliness.

None of that has to do with being assertive... it has to do with teaching them basic social structures, how to deal with life, and the whole package that entails. I wager that it was lacking, based on every released detail so far. If some can't find it in themselves (or their parents as a minor) to remove the subject from the situation, well then.. that speaks for itself.

As stated, I stand by the fact that the kid, and all the kids in the story, were raised poorly, and not given the proper tools to meet, and move ahead in life.

The point keeps being driven home... the culture of 'poor you, poor me' is ridiculous - and furthers the issue, not helps it.

What are you talking about. People felt sorry for her. It is called being human and showing compassion.

The original point was that the kid was ill prepared for life. Period. Her parents failed as much as the snot nosed bully's parents. There is no getting around that. People on here are saying how it's sad, turning on one another, but bottom line... ending our life over some on-line bullying shows a severe lack of mental well-being in general, and the story shows a GREAT lack of parenting from her parents.

So really, f*** the people that suggest the victim is to blame for being bullied... but yes, the victim IS to blame for ending their life... along with the support system that was around her/them (in this rather short story).

How do you know what kind of support system she had around her? Unless you are reading someone other than the OP, then I dont see where that is explained. Yes, her parenting may have sucked. However, there are many cases where kids grow up to be far worse coming from a good home where they had every thing. So unstable people from both walks of life. She may have had emotional issues as lots of kids her age do. And having that many people after her could of been her breaking point.

As a side note, one has to wonder why 15 people were ganging up on one person... did she not have friends of her own for support?

She may have had no friends. Lots of kids do not have many if any friends. I had only few friends in high school but it varied from none to many depending on who you are. Also, the OP said that her best friend turned on her because of the other girl did.

Did she do something to the rest of the kids? Did the other 13 kids just follow the other two's commands? Normal bullying seems to be a couple, or one, on one... So much more detail to the story would be great.

No, she may have done nothing. Bullying starts normally not because of what someone did. It starts by some ******* finding something in someone else they dont like. Then getting some kind of odd pleasure attacking someone because of it. Could be as little as you wearing glasses....or the kind of cloths you wear. Or maybe you have red hair, are fat, or have acne.

It is damn clear by your other posts here that you know little to nothing on how a bully works and the effects they have on their targets. I was a bully for a few years (bad time in my childhood) so I know how it is to push people around and cause physical/emotional pain. Later on I calmed down and was a target of a few bullies. So I have been on both ends. And with the many ways these days to attack your target, bullying is a crap ton more aggressive now. So being on both ends, I feel for the people being bullied. Like I said before, that is calling being human and have compassion and understanding for others.

• Like 2

What are you talking about. People felt sorry for her. It is called being human and showing compassion.

How do you know what kind of support system she had around her? Unless you are reading someone other than the OP, then I dont see where that is explained. Yes, her parenting may have sucked. However, there are many cases where kids grow up to be far worse coming from a good home where they had every thing. So unstable people from both walks of life. She may have had emotional issues as lots of kids her age do. And having that many people after her could of been her breaking point.

She may have had no friends. Lots of kids do not have many if any friends. I had only few friends in high school but it varied from none to many depending on who you are. Also, the OP said that her best friend turned on her because of the other girl did.

No, she may have done nothing. Bullying starts normally not because of what someone did. It starts by some ******* finding something in someone else they dont like. Then getting some kind of odd pleasure attacking someone because of it. Could be as little as you wearing glasses....or the kind of cloths you wear. Or maybe you have red hair, are fat, or have acne.

People commenting seem to not be compassionate, but rather have moved into projection, and giving their 2 cents on what they went through... Several immediately move to absolve all issues, mental, or otherwise from the victim and the parents... it is that 'poor her' 'poor little girl' issue that ignores the main issue. This was a 100% avoidable issue (well, this one was, but there may have been other triggers down the road). However, my initial 'boo hoo mentality' was related to kids these days thinking that the world is ending and their life is over if a person or few talk bad about them on-line. Talk bad about them... think about that for a moment. In a world of billions of people, a few are saying mean things and name calling. Do I expect a 12-14 year old to understand that... no, but that is the parents job to explain that and have it sink in... parents that failed to do that, and parents that failed to rein in their child bullies.

I take it you haven't really read anything really about the case, huh? Most of what you wrote and questioned is answered in the facts as being presented in multiple outlets.

Yeah, you can see the support system in the statements, facts, etc. I made the initial point that she could have made other friends, and then questioned why she didn't have other kids to turn to, who knows why, that's why I asked. I understand your point there, but it calls wonder about her and the others in general, before this even started/ended.

While random attacks and bullying is possible, in this case, with the other facts, one has to question... which was done. Again, I get your point, but it is just a guess.

People commenting seem to not be compassionate, but rather have moved into projection, and giving their 2 cents on what they went through... Several immediately move to absolve all issues, mental, or otherwise from the victim and the parents... it is that 'poor her' 'poor little girl' issue that ignores the main issue. This was a 100% avoidable issue (well, this one was, but there may have been other triggers down the road). However, my initial 'boo hoo mentality' was related to kids these days thinking that the world is ending and their life is over if a person or few talk bad about them on-line. Talk bad about them... think about that for a moment. In a world of billions of people, a few are saying mean things and name calling. Do I expect a 12-14 year old to understand that... no, but that is the parents job to explain that and have it sink in... parents that failed to do that, and parents that failed to rein in their child bullies.

I take it you haven't really read anything really about the case, huh? Most of what you wrote and questioned is answered in the facts as being presented in multiple outlets.

Yeah, you can see the support system in the statements, facts, etc. I made the initial point that she could have made other friends, and then questioned why she didn't have other kids to turn to, who knows why, that's why I asked. I understand your point there, but it calls wonder about her and the others in general, before this even started/ended.

While random attacks and bullying is possible, in this case, with the other facts, one has to question... which was done. Again, I get your point, but it is just a guess.

You really have know idea how the human mind works. Not everyone is strong minded or strong willed. Not everyone can let what others say not bother them. The effects, physical or otherwise, from others have different effects on people. I could call a woman fat who will cry, or maybe she will ignore me and continue with her day. Or maybe she will kick me in the nuts and then sit on me. Again, not everyone takes things the same way.

in a ironic and bizarre way, Skin is now bulling everyone that disagrees with him in this thread :/

In my country bulling (we didn't had a word for it, it was just "it's life", so it's a new word for us) got lots of attention a couple of years ago (i think it was in 2011) when a video posted in yt of two teen girls (the bullies) cursing another teen girl (the victim) and then suddenly both of them started beating the hell up the victim (and by beating it was kicks in the face, body, hair pulling out, etc.), while two teen boys were filming it with their cell phones and laughing at the whole scene. This is a new type of bulling, not only the victim gets beaten up but the humiliation goes deep to a new and high level: the internet, mocking ones life forever and all the time. All the news channels were passing that video, showing what kids do this days and public debates with public personalities were on all the time. The victim was never heard again, just an anonymous passenger but the effects that video caused was deep, because showed that kids are mean and bulling can destroy ones life.

The conclusion?

Parents aren't doing their jobs in raising their kids; let's not forget that both of those two girls are gonna grow up as adults, and what kind of adults are they gonna be? Do we want this kind of adults?

oh and the video...it was posted on yb by one of the boys that assisted that whole thing so he could share with his fellows the "lesson" that girl just got.

sick.

You really have know idea how the human mind works. Not everyone is strong minded or strong willed. Not everyone can let what others say not bother them. The effects, physical or otherwise, from others have different effects on people. I could call a woman fat who will cry, or maybe she will ignore me and continue with her day. Or maybe she will kick me in the nuts and then sit on me. Again, not everyone takes things the same way.

Sadly, I think you have missed the entire point of it all. It doesn't matter how everyone takes things, the bottom line point still stands.

in a ironic and bizarre way, Skin is now bulling everyone that disagrees with him in this thread :/

The conclusion?

Parents aren't doing their jobs in raising their kids; let's not forget that both of those two girls are gonna grow up as adults, and what kind of adults are they gonna be? Do we want this kind of adults?

It isn't ironic at all, nor is it bullying to point out items and suggest that people are acting odd for not laying blame where it falls. People seem to want to ignore the facts that lead to the end, and focus on the end... doing nothing to stop WHY it happens.

I have to direct right back to the main point here on the second part there.

It isn't ironic at all, nor is it bullying to point out items and suggest that people are acting odd for not laying blame where it falls. People seem to want to ignore the facts that lead to the end, and focus on the end... doing nothing to stop WHY it happens.

I have to direct right back to the main point here on the second part there.

So again, you're blaming this one girl who was faced with as many as 15 other people for being bullied and killing herself. Sure parents on both sides failed, yes, we can agree on that. But saying the girl is to blame...?

You're either trolling or you really are the most insensitive person on the face of the planet. I can only hope that you would suffer the same fate or worse so you will eventually see how wrong you are.

Point? What point, that she was not prepared for life? I think I nailed that, and more.

I see a bunch of excuses from posters, and half-baked attempts to twist things to suit the victim and 'poor her' mentality.

So, first, I see that you assume something important to blanket why she couldn't go out and make friends... 'these girls were probably threatening to kick her head in if she went out or whatever'. OK, so let's say these folks were threatening to kick her butt, so she locks herself in? Tells her parents? What? She could have had her own life and not worried about the other kids, but she didn't. (Maybe a sign of something greater as an issue, but one cannot assume that in itself.)

You then bring up that she had friends, but they were like all totally turned against her... great umm friends there, and wow on the bully's part that they could turn all her friends (seems like maybe the whole circle of people involved are kinda weak minded to start with, but who knows, that's an assumption).

You then twist the part of facebook and staying off social media equaling not making up one's mind... hello there, I guess you first have to assume that the only way to stand up to people is through facebook/social media? That shows a bigger issue in today's folks. Can't she just ignore the haters, or block them, or umm talk to her real friends (assuming she won them back from all being turned). Naw, in your mind, she has to stay on social media cause well, she has the right to be there. Fine. Be there, but ignore the idiots - you can't let it be a given that she will continue to read and focus on the negative bullying... that's giving a free pass for silliness.

None of that has to do with being assertive... it has to do with teaching them basic social structures, how to deal with life, and the whole package that entails. I wager that it was lacking, based on every released detail so far. If some can't find it in themselves (or their parents as a minor) to remove the subject from the situation, well then.. that speaks for itself.

As stated, I stand by the fact that the kid, and all the kids in the story, were raised poorly, and not given the proper tools to meet, and move ahead in life.

You're the one making assumptions here, not us. None of us know the full extent of the bullying but you're saying she should just ignore it.. as if that's something simple to do when so many people are involved. 

The article also said there had already been a physical altercation with one of the bullies. If the victim got her head kicked in at school, it stands to reason that she'd be physically afraid and would heed any warnings not to go out etc. One person cannot defend themselves against so many. THEY need to be strong but they also need a strong group of friends. If you're on your own against loads of bullies, there's nothing you can do. It's no wonder she was depressed. 

It wouldn't have been easy for her to go and make new friends when her confidence had been knocked through an extensive campaign of bullying. 

You're blaming the victim rather than the offenders. Can't you see how wrong that is? 

May god help your kids if they ever get bullied because, with your attitude, it's obvious you won't. I'm disgusted by your callous and thoughtless posts. 

Florida sheriff eyes charging parents of teens arrested after bullied girl?s suicide

The Florida sheriff investigating a girl's suicide allegedly prompted by online bullying said he's considering charging the parents of one of the two girls arrested in the case because they're in "total denial."

Polk Country Sheriff Grady Judd told Fox News Thursday that if evidence indicates the parents of one of the two girls knowingly allowed the girl to post the bullying comments online, they could be charged with contributing to the dependency or delinquency of a child.

The two girls, ages 12 and 14, were identified by police as the main culprits in the bullying they say led to 12-year-old Rebecca Sedwick's suicide. Judd said the 14-year-old girl showed a "total disregard for life" and continued to post comments online after the girl's death.

The family of the 14-year-old girl said her computer account was hacked and that she was not posting anymore. The girl's mother told ABC News that she checked her daughter's Facebook status every time she used it.

Judd, however, has questioned that account.

"You tell me that there's not parents, who instead of taking that device and smashing it into a 1,000 pieces in front of her child, says, 'Oh, her account was hacked?' We see where the problem is," Judd said.

Judd has been criticized by some for his handling of the case. One Tampa Bay defense lawyer told MyFoxTampaBay.com that "he's doing an awful job of pre-judging."

"I don't understand why he can't let the system play out, why he can't let the people who are the lawyers ? not the sheriff ? investigate the case, look into what's going on here, and then have a judge decide what the appropriate penalty or sentence is, and see about the proper way to handle this in a courtroom," attorney Jeff Brown told the station.

Judd said his office had to step in because the bullying continued and others could have been endangered.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/17/florida-sheriff-eyes-charging-parents-teens-arrested-after-bullied-girls/

Account hacked my ass.  These kids are ###### and posted that stuff themselves.

I have two words...

BAD PARENTS

that is all

I have seen cases where very good parents have bad children they could not control. I don't think there are any simple answers to questions like this, no one size explanation fits all.

I have seen cases where very good parents have bad children they could not control. I don't think there are any simple answers to questions like this, no one size explanation fits all.

I actually agree with that.