6 posts in this topic

Posted

A year ago, Felix Baumgartner jumped out of a spaceship and, a good while later, landed safely on planet Earth.

Red Bull, which sponsored Baumgartner's stunt, recently released a point-of-view video of the death-defier's epic descent, complete with ever-changing mission data. It's exhilarating, terrifying and definitely worth watching (though maybe not if you have a fear of heights or, you know, the possibility of death).

A few things to keep in mind as you watch Baumgartner hurtle toward New Mexico. He hits speeds of around 830 miles per hour. He began his jump at nearly 128,000 feet above sea level (around 24 miles).  And, yeah, he does break the sound barrier.

source
1 person likes this

Posted

Until he pulled that chute he was dropping faster a turd out a birds ass!

Posted

Awesome! I didn't however understand why there wasn't a sonic boom?

Posted

Awesome! I didn't however understand why there wasn't a sonic boom?

Since he was traveling faster then the speed of sound at the time that it happened, he wouldn't have heard it since he was in front of the sound moving away from it.

Would that be correct?

Posted

Since he was traveling faster then the speed of sound at the time that it happened, he wouldn't have heard it since he was in front of the sound moving away from it.

Would that be correct?

Yeah, I was just expecting to see the effect of the ripping air, you know, like the one aircrafts do.