Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

win7 Laptop gone slow - deleted Ubuntu portion the suspect?

2 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok, this is gonna get a little long, I wish that you ave enough time to read.

One day back in April or May, I decided to try out "this cool new OS" called Ubuntu, If I remember correctly, it was at 12.10 or something. I had it dual booted alongside Windows 7 for a while.

After that, I decided to just remove it. So I went onto Windows and deleted the Ubuntu files from there. BUT...

WHen I reboot, it still shows the OS chooser, but with WIndows 7 as the sole "option"

Could this be the reason myy lappy is slow? Like, the RAM is still divided?

Posted

After that, I decided to just remove it. So I went onto Windows and deleted the Ubuntu files from there. BUT...

WHen I reboot, it still shows the OS chooser, but with WIndows 7 as the sole "option"

First off, never do this. Ever. Well, almost ever. In this situation definitely never. It's poor form, messy, and can cause you a world of issues.

On to a solution for the problem. I would suggest using something like gParted to try and put the partition back in to one piece, and see if you notice a difference then.

Finally, RAM doesn't get divided as part of dual-booting. It is all used on the OS that you are using at the time.

EDIT: Removed the first sentence, it was uncalled for. My apologies, we all have to start learning somewhere. :)