World Cup 2014: England will not be seeded in Brazil next summer

3PsCilC.png

England will not be one of the top eight seeds at next year's World Cup in Brazil after sealing qualification with a 2-0 win over Poland on Tuesday.

Fifa's latest world rankings determined the top seeds for the 2014 tournament.

England who climbed from 17th to 10th, will now have to face one of the top-ranked nations in their group matches.

But boss Roy Hodgson says he is not worried whether his team is "first or second out of the hat" when the draw takes place on 6 December.

The Netherlands, who were runners-up in 2010, and 2006 winners Italy are also unseeded.

But Switzerland, Belgium and Colombia are, following the release of the rankings on Thursday by football's governing body.

Hosts Brazil and the remaining top seven ranked qualifiers will be kept apart in the group stages of next year's tournament.

Those groups will be completed by teams from three different geographical regions.

England will have to face one of Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Colombia and probably Uruguay.

Uruguay's place in Brazil depends on them winning a play-off against Jordan, ranked 70, next month. If they are beaten in the two-legged tie, the Netherlands will take the final seed ahead of Italy.

The rankings' emphasis on recent results rather than teams' record in major tournaments means 2010 World Cup runners-up Netherlands and 2006 winners Italy miss out on being kept apart from the other traditional powerhouses of world football.

Barring a slump down the Fifa standings for any of the three, the Netherlands, Italy and England are likely to be kept apart as high-ranked fellow European nations.

France coach Didier Deschamps, whose side have to win a two-legged play-off to make the finals after finishing second to Spain in their qualifying group, has criticised the system.

"From my point of view it's not very logical,'' said the former Chelsea midfielder.

He added that it was a "double punishment" that his side were in Group I, the only European one with five rather than six teams, meaning they had two fewer matches to earn ranking points.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24562306

I don't think it matters. We're going to struggle to get out the group stages anyway.

The Fifa rankings always confuses me.

Yeah we aren't getting out the group

It doesn't surprise me. England usually struggles at the World Cup level, despite having some of the most successful football leagues on the planet.

It doesn't surprise me. England usually struggles at the World Cup level, despite having some of the most successful football leagues on the planet.

Most of the english players are in the Championship or below.

i refer you to your avatar....

Obviously unaware that barely 1/3 of the players in the premiership are English and how this compares rather unfavorably to the other big European leagues. Also hardly any English players go overseas and do well. This is why England struggle...they don't have a big enough pool of top players.

i'm not aware of any england players that play in the championship.. please, correct me though

yes, i do agree though that most players of english nationality do play in the lower leagues, that's not how your post read.

We have top players but they are really good in our leagues only really, I don't think the performance against Poland was good at all and shows we will get battered by Germany or Spain or Brazil come the finals but I would like think Roy will take Ravel, Sterling or Redmond just to see if the youth can improve the squad

it's a bit early to predict who we'd like to see go i think, it could all change in the next 6 months!! :D

Yeah Ravel will be banned by then :rofl:

There's a chance for Germany to kick out England during the group phase already? Well hey, why not. :shiftyninja:

I've long believed that the only way England is ever going to get anywhere near the trophy again is if they first go a few world cups without considering themselves contenders. England has been a third-division team for years, yet every 4 years the media would have you believe that the trophy is in the bag.

The ranking makes no difference what-so-ever.

If england are good enough then they will qualify for phase two and win the tournament.

We have top players but they are really good in our leagues only really...

That means they are not "top" players; they are mediocre players made to look good in Premiership games by their foreign teammates.

I've long believed that the only way England is ever going to get anywhere near the trophy again is if they first go a few world cups without considering themselves contenders. England has been a third-division team for years, yet every 4 years the media would have you believe that the trophy is in the bag.

The tendency is to overestimate European teams, and underestimate North American teams (not merely the US, but even Canada) - and that's true on both the men's AND ladies' draws.

In fact, didn't the Canadians give the UK national team a bit of grief not only this year, but last year?

The French and Germans have been nasty surprises for the last several World Cups, as has been the Netherlands and even the Belgians - and don't get me started on the Spaniards and Portuguese.

Even the Brazilians have realized that they can't afford to take the US for granted - which is something that the Mexicans got rudely reminded of this year (yet again).

Except for Africa, we are actually seeing something close to global parity throughout FIFA.

Please define "seeded" for those that don't know much about football (like myself), but enjoy watching it.

seeded isn't a football thing, it's in many other sports (i.e. tennis) and means that you are marked as one of the 'better' contenders, or even favourites...

seeded in this context means they will all be in a single pot for the draw, and no seeds can be drawn against one another.

in the world cup there are 8 groups of 4 teams, so each one of those groups will get a 'seed' ;)

If England want to win it then they have to beat the top seeds at some point so I don't think it really matters, also some of the top seeded teams are a bit high for their own good!