Photo

Windows 8.1- Desktop lovers rejoice (brief review)

windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#16 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,547 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 20 October 2013 - 21:31

The Start Screen was basically a large, random selection of programs and shortcuts (many of which I had never seen before!) flattened as tiles with no discernable organisation.

The All Apps view is simply every clickable element of the start menu flattened as small tiles.

The "Modern" apps are still vastly inferior to their desktop counterparts and I still see absolutely no use for them on a traditional, non-touch PC;

Also, I like to have my taskbar on the left, but on the Start Screen the "back" functionality is hard-coded to be the lower-left corner of the screen. It's only intuitive for those keeping the taskbar in its default location.

Also, "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly"?...I'm hoping this is a temporary issue.

1) Organize it, it's only as organized as you are.

2) Agreed, though I've never had a need to use the All Apps view myself. It does just look like a mess.

3) Try Mail app snapped 1/3 or 1/4 screen. Fantastic app. The new Facebook snapped. The alarms app is great though I have feature requests. One of the absolute best Modern apps is Newegg. I shop there a lot for business and personal and it's one of the best. All the way through even the shopping cart and wish list, all Modern UI. Only negative is it doesn't scale so well smaller than 1/3 screen snap.

4) This may be a case of majority rules.

5) This just means you have UEFI SecureBoot and it's not configured? Have an HP by any chance? If so, download the HP BIOS GUI app and enable it. I had to do this on my ElitePad. Otherwise, just go in you BIOS and enable secure boot.

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:58

I can eliminate all off office right away as well, since it's in the office group along with other office related apps, which is also at a less prominent position on my start screen. 

With the start screen there is no searching, you instantly see tens of apps and can identify them by the large icon and color of the tile which is now based off the icon. 

and again, the situation right now is a result of you installing stuff over a whole year and leaving it. the average user don't ever install anything except maybe a second browser and an AV, and if they're particularly stupid incredimail or one of the system optimizers or reg cleaners they come over in online ads....

#18 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,653 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:07

You've just described the Start Menu for many PC users. By default, it is completely randomized, showing only the most commonly used programs (or the ones Microsoft puts there on a clean install), and only several of them. If the app a user wants falls off the MRU list after not having used it in a while (Which can scare a user when they realized it disappeared on them), or if users wanted to find something else, they had to dig through needless folders and subfolders, try and figure out which file is the executable they're after, then pin it to either the taskbar, desktop, the start menu, or all three (sound familiar? "Redundant"?)! If they're pinning to the Start Menu, they then needed to know how to increase the number of icons shown, that way your list isn't cut short. Also, the Start Menu is limited by vertical screen space, you can only pin apps to the Start Menu as long as your resolution allows. This is why the Start Menu has been highly problematic the last couple of years. It's become very limiting in regards to today's user needs.

All Apps still retains hierarchy, however, they are open for people to see without guessing where the apps are that they want. Metro apps are alphabetized, while legacy Windows options are still included under the "folders" they've always have been.

Also, if you're still thinking Metro is touch only, please stop. You're not doing anyone or yourself any favors. My mouse and keyboard still work with Metro, and just the same as they do on the desktop.

Metro is ideal for touch, and I think it's #### with my KB and mouse.  That's what I think. 

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:22

Metro is ideal for touch, and I think it's **** with my KB and mouse.  That's what I think. 

Metro in many ways work better with a keyboard and mouse, especially the start screen, and it works better than the old start menu. so...

#20 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

• 485 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:59

Metro is ideal for touch, and I think it's **** with my KB and mouse.  That's what I think. 

In that case, no one can help you.

^ I wonder, how people always complains this. I have laptop and desktop neither one is touch. I haven't felt oh this is ridiculous or not good with KB and mouse/touchpad.
Except for one case, where few games in Store doesn't work or not smooth with KB and mouse

#21 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,144 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:09

Metro in many ways work better with a keyboard and mouse, especially the start screen, and it works better than the old start menu. so...

I don't think it works better than the start menu, it's a giant window of unrelated items that takes focus away from what I'm doing.

It's great on a small screen device that can't show multiple windows at a time (either due to limited resources or simply screen size), but when you have a PC with a good screen there's no reason to completely hide your web browser/word process/etc. to show a grid of 100 random icons.

Edit: Well, probably not 100, because it's designed for tablets everything is huge.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:29

I don't think it works better than the start menu, it's a giant window of unrelated items that takes focus away from what I'm doing.

It's great on a small screen device that can't show multiple windows at a time (either due to limited resources or simply screen size), but when you have a PC with a good screen there's no reason to completely hide your web browser/word process/etc. to show a grid of 100 random icons.

Edit: Well, probably not 100, because it's designed for tablets everything is huge.

How does it not work better than the start menu, the ONLY effective way to use the start menu is to launch apps from the manual or automatic list of last used apps. it fits about 8-10 of them on a big screen before it's gets to cluttered to use effectively. as soon as you click all apps and start digging in the tree view, it's more effective to just start typing and hit enter.

with the start screen. I have 5x9 rows of medium tiles readily visible on this crappy laptop screen. By using small tiles in 8.1 for desktop apps. still making them very visible and clearly separated, helped by the colored background. I can quadruple that. of course since I still run a lot in medium it's not quite that, but still a whole lot more apps than I can have readily available on the start menu, and they're organized so I can instantly find them, I know where they are and where to find them by their grouping and location. 

For any apps not instantly visible, it's the same quick easy operation as on the start menu, start typing and hit enter after usually at most 3 letters, often less. 

on my desktop with a bigger screen and higher res, the start screen is even better, certainly not worse. and what does it matter if opening the start screen hides the app I'm working on or not, if I'm opening the start screen, it means I'm starting a new app. meaning I'm not focusing on any other app at that point anyway. as much as you'd like to think so, the human mind and vision doesn't work like that. 

#23 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

• 485 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:32

It's time for you to upgrade your monitor resolution.

In my Laptop with FHD [1920x1080], the start screen, with my custom arrangement is tremendously beautiful.

Many of my friends who first saw didn't think they can arrange the tiles in Win 8 by grouping.

#24 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,653 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:49

In that case, no one can help you.

^ I wonder, how people always complains this. I have laptop and desktop neither one is touch. I haven't felt oh this is ridiculous or not good with KB and mouse/touchpad.
Except for one case, where few games in Store doesn't work or not smooth with KB and mouse

Good for you.  I'm truly happy for you.  Just because YOU like something, doesn't mean I will like the same thing.  So don't speak to me in a condescending manner because you think your personal like for something should be followed by everyone.

I could do the same.  I don't understand how people always complain about people who complain about Metro, I mean, it's not as if the marketshare says I'm alone or anything.

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:54

The marketshare is merely saying that computers for the last 5 years have been powerful enough that people don't need to buy new laptop annually or bi.annually anymore. it says nothing about whether people like Win8 or not. 

#26 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,653 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:08

For you it might.  I assure you, it made my experience using my computer absolute hell.  To the point where I requested a refund.

#27 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,653 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:09

The marketshare is merely saying that computers for the last 5 years have been powerful enough that people don't need to buy new laptop annually or bi.annually anymore. it says nothing about whether people like Win8 or not. 

Now you're being ridiculous.

#28 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

• 485 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:13

The trend changed a lot.

At-least most daily routine tasks are being done from phones and tablets.

The PC thing is decreasing rapidly. Certainly these can't replace PC at the same time and you don't need hammer for fixing small screw.

So you need to maintain the same in all the devices, which might feel awkward for few people, it's the best for most people.

Anyway, as usual this debate never ends. So it's much better to post reviews of your own rather than fighting/debating again. It's not debating thread, It's review thread I guess.

#29 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:14

Now you're being ridiculous.

No, that's called truth. what you're spouting is called a modified truth, a truth colored by your desire for it to be so. so without any evidence you draw conclusions that don't exist, not understanding that correlation don't prove causation, especially not when there are other much bigger and more important causes. 

#30 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,329 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:17

And that's your argument?

You can organize the Start Screen...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!