win8.1

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#31 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:16

For people who can't install Windows 8.1 and have Logitech or SteelSeries devices, you MUST uninstall their software BEFORE installing Windows 8.1, and DON'T install it afterwards. It will brick your Windows install.

This is a known issue.

That's weird. I had SetPoint (Logitech) installed when I updated and it worked fine but I can believe it could be a culprit.

#32 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:41

Anyone else getting an "infinite" windows defender definition update? Windows defender already says I have the latest definition, but windows update shows the exact same update every time I check for updates, and if I click install it just instantly says 'installed successfully", then next time I check the exact same definition update appears.

So is anyone else having this happen? I'd like to know if my WU is screwed up or if MS just released a botched update.

#33 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:07

So is anyone else having this happen? I'd like to know if my WU is screwed up or if MS just released a botched update.

I'm not having that issue.

updates_no_issue.jpg

#34 Slammers

Slammers

Neowinian

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:50

I am the original author of the post mentioned in the link: http://hardforum.com...56&postcount=13

I made that post on HardForums on August 31 and have been checking with SteelSeries roughly twice a week since I made that post. For close to 2.5 months, myself and others have made countless posts on their Facebook page and they all but ignored us until 3 days ago. They still do not have 8.1 drivers and their drivers will still brick your 8.1 installation. I think they realized how careless and irresponsible they were, so today I believe they updated the Steelseries Engine installer so that it will give you an error message and prevent you from installing it if you try to do so on 8.1. However, the drivers are still not compatible with 8.1.

That's incredible , and really poor. Nice work keeping at them though.

Im going to risk 8.1 tonight, if something goes wrong, there's always way to fix it.

#35 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:58

I'm not having that issue.

updates_no_issue.jpg

ugh, i'm pretty annoyed then. this windows 8 install was clean installed barely a week ago, and I've barely even installed any extra software, I expected an upgrade from such a pristine install to not have any issues :/

And of course microsoft is making it a pain in the ass to just clean install 8.1 by not providing 8.1 iso's, and the windows 8.1 setupbox application doesn't let you create a bootable usb because when it asks for a key the regular windows 8 one doesn't work /rant. 

EDIT: Think I found a workaround for creating 8.1 install media lol. I downloaded the regular windows 8 setup application, entered my product key, it accepted it and started the download. I quit the installer, than started the windows 8.1 setup application (both downloaded from here: http://windows.micro...roduct-key-only), and it just skipped straight to "Downloading Windows 8.1" without asking for a key:

Untitled.png

EDIT2: wewt, my clean install was a success :) Was able to create the usb install media, clean install, use generic placeholder key during install (for some reason win8.1's installer won't accept a legit windows 8 key during install, but can be activated with it post-install just fine, found one of the generic keys easily via google, there's several 'generic' keys that the win8 installer will accept to let you do the install, but they obviously don't allow activation) and activate with my legit key post install. Windows update appears to be fixed now.

#36 em3

em3

Neowinian

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:16

For people who can't install Windows 8.1 and have Logitech or SteelSeries devices, you MUST uninstall their software BEFORE installing Windows 8.1, and DON'T install it afterwards. It will brick your Windows install.

This is a known issue.

I didn't know about this so I used the "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" feature and after that I could install Win8.1. Good to know I shouldn't install the SteelSeries software again. Thanks.

#37 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:26

I can't install 8.1 either. I think I get through most of the installation but it won't finish. Also getting a similar error as posted by user above... 0xC1900101 0x40017

Were you trying to upgrade a VL version?  You can upgrade from VL to VL, or retail to retail (via the Store) but not VL to retail (or retail to VL).  I upgraded from 8.0 VL to 8.1 VL; however, I had to download 8.1 VL separately and mount it to do that upgrade.

#38 tkaw220

tkaw220

Neowinian

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:50

ugh, i'm pretty annoyed then. this windows 8 install was clean installed barely a week ago, and I've barely even installed any extra software, I expected an upgrade from such a pristine install to not have any issues :/

And of course microsoft is making it a pain in the ass to just clean install 8.1 by not providing 8.1 iso's, and the windows 8.1 setupbox application doesn't let you create a bootable usb because when it asks for a key the regular windows 8 one doesn't work /rant. 

EDIT: Think I found a workaround for creating 8.1 install media lol. I downloaded the regular windows 8 setup application, entered my product key, it accepted it and started the download. I quit the installer, than started the windows 8.1 setup application (both downloaded from here: http://windows.micro...roduct-key-only), and it just skipped straight to "Downloading Windows 8.1" without asking for a key:

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

EDIT: wewt, my clean install was a success :) Was able to create the usb install media, clean install, use generic placeholder key during install and activate with my legit key post install. Windows update appears to be fixed now.

Thanks for sharing. It works for me too :-)

#39 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:23

Is it Logitech setpoint that doesn't work, or Logitech gaming software?

Because the Logitech gaming software is listed as being 8.1 compatible on the Swiss site, but I haven't gotten around to reinstalling it yet.  I'll wait now.

#40 Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:24

So I did the update via the store and it seems to be working okay. The problem however is that I don't appear to have any sound? I've seen a few people post about this but no fixes were provided. Any ideas?

Edit: Turns out the reason is because Corsair haven't updated their drivers to support it. Switching from 7.1 surround to 2.0 stereo seems to provide a temporary fix.

#41 Yazoo

Yazoo

Just a regular guy

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:43

I have Windows 8.1 Preview (fully activated with legit key) and want to upgrade to full 8.1

To do this I have to follow the instructions on the following Microsoft website

http://windows.micro...te-from-preview

It clearly states I will have to re-install my apps including those not from the Windows Store.

I don't fancy re-installing, so before I go down that route is there a way to save my installations and restore them post 8.1 upgrade?

I install all my apps on a separate drive than the system so I think this might be possible.

Any help/suggestions will be welcome.

Thank you

#42 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:05

Did a clean install. No issues faced what so ever.

If you want to download full ISOs, PM me. I will send you the direct link.

#43 OP Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:47

Had a 3rd go last night and left it running when I went out for a meal. Came back to my login screen and thought it must have worked (rather than sticking on the black screen with frozen loading animation) but alas no. When I signed in it popped up a similar error message but with slightly different numbers. Can't even see any sort of obvious failure or fatal error in the log.

#44 Huisie

Huisie

Neowinian

Posted 18 October 2013 - 14:45

To ViperAFK

Just a quick thank you for showing how to download a 8.1 iso.

#45 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 October 2013 - 14:54

This is a known issue.

I had Set point installed and it didn't break my install.

I just had to strip out the components from the registry afterwards to get rid of startup errors.