Windows 8.1 Support Thread

Could anyone try and reproduce the problem I am having here? I had no issues with this before I migrated from Windows 8 Pro

I have a 32" 1080p TV that I use as a monitor for my computer.

My display resolution is set to 1920 x 1080. My desktop windows look like they are running at 800 X 600 (windows look scaled up taking most of my screen space) and my Start screen only lists four rows of  medium sized tiles instead of seven.

I tried the same on a 24" 1080p monitor and I  don't have this issue. I see 7 rows of medium sized tiles and my desktop windows look properly scaled.

I used another computer (a Macbook pro running Windows 8.1) and plugged it in via HDMI  to another 32" TV and I saw the same issue occur there. I am seeing only four rows of medium sized tiles and my desktop windows look massive.

Could anyone try the same if you have a 32" monitor capable of running in 1080p? May be even try this with displays greater than 32" in size but it has to be capable of running of 1920 X 1080p.

I am hoping this is a bug because I have two computers that have the same issue with two different TV models. For now I am using the new display scaling feature to adjust the size of windows to normal. Still, Internet Explorer opens websites  in a magnified state and there is no way to reduce the magnification. By doing the same in the Metro interface, I got room for an extra row of icons but icons still way too big for the set resolution.

Thanks.

I reported the issue to the adblock developer, they are aware of the issue so hopefully there will be a fix.

In regards to the protected mode, the "Enhanced Protected Mode" is actually a new feature added in IE11. If you disable that I think you are still running the regular "protected mode" present in win7 and win8.

Unfortunately this didn't solve my problem. Uninstalled/reinstalled IE11 (as best as is possible anyway), enhanced protected mode on/off, uninstalled all my add-ons, performed a full reset of IE... still the Modern/Metro/Start/Store/Whatever version of IE11 randomly crashes. It is entirely random. Not noticing any pattern to it at all. :( IE10 was fine.

Are there any crash logs for IE11 anywhere? Any other options I can try? Or is it just really crash-happy at the moment?

Okay i got this wierd problem after upgraded to Windows 8.1

My apps doesnt shut down when i drag them down. they are still runing in the background. its damn annoying

How do i fix this ?

Try dragging it and then hold it near the bottom of the screen (rather than flicking it all the way "out". The icon will "flip" and then the app will be permanently closed. I don't quite understand how come sometimes this is needed and other times not.

Skydrive is optional; you can say "do not turn on those settings". Not sure why you need the nanny state to help with that. :|

Libraries are in fact there... but hidden by default (I don't understand why that is). Open a folder > View > Navigation pane (all the way left) > Show libraries

• SkyDrive shoved in your face with no way to disable/remove it (I seriously hope Europe gets on this since it's just going too far).
  • Folders that used to be libraries and DLNA/network devices now crowding up the Computer "This PC" list/view.

Try this:

- On Start type troubleshoot. Click on Troubleshooting item.

- On the left side, click "View all"

- Right-click on "Windows Update" and choose "Run as Administrator"

So is anyone else having this happen? I'd like to know if my WU is screwed up or if MS just released a botched update.

Skydrive is optional; you can say "do not turn on those settings". Not sure why you need the nanny state to help with that. :|

Libraries are in fact there... but hidden by default (I don't understand why that is). Open a folder > View > Navigation pane (all the way left) > Show libraries

SkyDrive is optional to use but it's always all around Explorer and there is no way to completely uninstall it.

Unfortunately this didn't solve my problem. Uninstalled/reinstalled IE11 (as best as is possible anyway), enhanced protected mode on/off, uninstalled all my add-ons, performed a full reset of IE... still the Modern/Metro/Start/Store/Whatever version of IE11 randomly crashes. It is entirely random. Not noticing any pattern to it at all. :( IE10 was fine.

Are there any crash logs for IE11 anywhere? Any other options I can try? Or is it just really crash-happy at the moment?

event log.

Are you using a proxy or admuncher/adguard they can cause this

SkyDrive is optional to use but it's always all around Explorer and there is no way to completely uninstall it.

Assuming you have Pro, you can open up gpedit.msc. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > SkyDrive > Prevent the usage of SkyDrive for file storage and set it to Enabled.

It's not exactly a user-friendly way to do it, but it works at least.

Ok Windows 8.1 Issues

Avast 2014 Installed

Issues are Google Docs freezing when i'm trying to edit those for Secondlife 3D Game, some virtual Second life work, well it keeps freezing in the same spot

is that related to Avast or 8.1 Issue?

Works fine on Modern UI IE 11

Edited by bikeman25

Assuming you have Pro, you can open up gpedit.msc. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > SkyDrive > Prevent the usage of SkyDrive for file storage and set it to Enabled.

It's not exactly a user-friendly way to do it, but it works at least.

Wow, not exactly user-friendly indeed. I can't believe they're allowed to do this to be honest, it gives SkyDrive a huge spotlight in the system and gives it an integration level that isn't possible for things like Dropbox. I really hope Europe gets on this and does something about it. Well, my other issues (CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION) weren't exactly helping. It seems now that some of those were caused by VirtualBox, but still, I don't want daily BSODs.

event log.

Are you using a proxy or admuncher/adguard they can cause this

Is all sorted now (see here), but the issue was down to IE11 itself. I managed to fix it initially by starting iexplore.exe from "Program Files" (most random fix ever), but Microsoft subsequently released a patch. IE11 still has other issues (particularly with these forum editors where various things are broken), but it doesn't crash every five minutes. :)

So finally getting aroound to intalling 8.1 on the few Surface Pros we have at work.  I DLed the update and the system prompted me for a restart. So I did.  The Surface has been sitting on the black Surface logo screen with the spinning circle for about an hour now.

Is the update still working?  How much longer should it take?

• 2 weeks later...

Try dragging it and then hold it near the bottom of the screen (rather than flicking it all the way "out". The icon will "flip" and then the app will be permanently closed. I don't quite understand how come sometimes this is needed and other times not.

Because by default Windows 8.1 suspends app and the cleans them up at its convenience/when it needs resources.  The flip causes it to actually terminate the process.

• 1 month later...

Need some Support on Windows 8.1, whenever I try watching online video from local news, or local file, I get this green background, but audio

Drivers up to date

13.12 AMD video drivers

Radeon 6530D

avast antivirus

at&t dsl

*Willing to a system refresh or clean install if needed*

Happens with Xbox video

Media Center

All online videos in IE 11

and sometimes it works fine

and sometimes I get this

post-106584-0-07567400-1387514820.jpg

Edited by bikeman25

• 1 month later...

In the left hand navigation pane of an Explorer window in Windows 8.1 is it possible to hide/remove the media servers of other networked PC's? they hang off 'This PC' but I'd rather only drives and the user folders are displayed?

• 2 months later...

I did download the update this morning and installed with no issues.  Am I missing  something in how to add live tiles to the (classic) Start Menu? as shown in the below link:

http://techreport.com/news/26292/here-the-new-windows-8-1-start-menu-in-action

You likely have the wrong thread here. This is for the Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1 update. Not for the Windows 8.1 to "Windows 8.1 Update 1" which was released Tuesday.

I did download the update this morning and installed with no issues.  Am I missing  something in how to add live tiles to the (classic) Start Menu? as shown in the below link:

http://techreport.com/news/26292/here-the-new-windows-8-1-start-menu-in-action

It's a work in progress, https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-were-just-not-ready-yet-with-new-start-menu

• 4 weeks later...

No one with a surface pro 2 has experienced start button lock up when using mouse from time to time? it's so weird that no one complains about this.

No one with a surface pro 2 has experienced start button lock up when using mouse from time to time? it's so weird that no one complains about this.

I just had this bug happen for the first time today (on my desktop pc not on a surface 2). I also saw a few other people complaining about this, definitely seems to be some kind of bug with the update. When it happened I just restarted explorer.exe and that fixed it.

I just had this bug happen for the first time today (on my desktop pc not on a surface 2). I also saw a few other people complaining about this, definitely seems to be some kind of bug with the update. When it happened I just restarted explorer.exe and that fixed it.

I'm happy that I'm not alone :D

I have no idea why MS doesn't fix this annoying bug.

• 3 weeks later...

After Patch Tuesday updates of May, I have issue - I can't properly shutdown my pc.

Anyone with this problem? Any fix?

• 2 months later...

I got a dell venue 8 pro recently, and while it's a great tablet (a game changer really), windows 8.1's quirkiness bugs me out at times. I've connected a bluetooth mouse to it and for some reason today, the cursor f'ing disappeared!

I've rebooted it and it still doesn't appear, though it seems to be working when i click the buttons. Any fix for this?