How To Disable the Start Button?

A small percentage of users who have upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 are now looking for a way to hide or disable the Start button in Windows 8.1. Unfortunately, as of now, there is no software designed to disable or hide the Start button in Windows 8.1.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-disable-or-hide-start-button-in-windows-8-1/

Oh, it's not a program that needs to be installed.

It is freeware, portable application which does not require .NET Framework or installation.

And I don't think there really is a conventional way to disable it

LOL, there are 3 start buttons now, one on the keyboard, one in the charms and one on the task bar

To answer the question, I don't believe the start button can be disabled. 

A small percentage of users who have upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 are now looking for a way to hide or disable the Start button in Windows 8.1. Unfortunately, as of now, there is no software designed to disable or hide the Start button in Windows 8.1.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-disable-or-hide-start-button-in-windows-8-1/

I use classic start menu. got rid of the 8.1 start menu

Ignore it? it was always there, the functionality, even in Windows 8. Why exactly is this an issue now that it is visible?

Since there was always a button in the corner, some people prefer to have more space on their taskbar

It's funny how the ones who wanted a way to have / turn a non hidden start button on were getting a bunch of crap from the ones that now want a way to turn it off! :laugh:

It's funny how the ones who wanted a way to have / turn a non hidden start button on were getting a bunch of crap from the ones that now want a way to turn it off! :laugh:

You need to be more specific. When you say "the ones", are you including me in that statement?

LOL, there are 3 start buttons now, one on the keyboard, one in the charms and one on the task bar

To answer the question, I don't believe the start button can be disabled.

Actually now you can have 4 start button by placing the taskbar to the left, top, or right side of the screen. Then you'll have a start button on the taskbar, a startbutton in the bottom left corner, a startbutton on the charms bar, and the windows key on the keyboard :D

Really, how much extra space does this give you on the taskbar?  One icon more at best (which I doubt because the first icon was not on the left edge of the screen to begin with)?  Wow, that takes up SO much space.

Really, how much extra space does this give you on the taskbar?  One icon more at best (which I doubt because the first icon was not on the left edge of the screen to begin with)?  Wow, that takes up SO much space.

The space is minimal, Windows 8 - http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/08/screenshot-36.jpg - See the gap between the left side and the IE icon?

Ricing.

I think what the OP is saying is; He doesn't want as an example, a car manufacturer telling him he can't customize his new car with custom rims. or even a skirt kit. or even blueprint his engine for a custm configuration even. um.. in an analogy sense

I think what the OP is saying is; He doesn't want as an example, a car manufacturer telling him he can't customize his new car with custom rims. or even a skirt kit. or even blueprint his engine for a custm configuration even. um.. in an analogy sense

First, don't ever say you think that you know what someone is trying to say. It makes you look, well, you know, no offense. All I wanted to know if there was an option to turn the button off, that is all.

The space is minimal, Windows 8 - http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/08/screenshot-36.jpg - See the gap between the left side and the IE icon?

You can make the icons sitting in center on the taskbar like some of us did it on Vista/Windows 7..  that way, we wouldn't worry about the odd space/gap on the left side.

like this:

1.png

:)