Windows 8.1 : Did you clean install or did you upgrade?

Did you clean install or did you upgrade 8.1?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Did you clean install or did you upgrade 8.1?

• Clean install
    • Upgraded from the App Store.
    • Clean installed 8 then upgraded to 8.1

The question is did you clean install or did you upgrade to 8.1? Personally I really thought about just doing a clean install using the 8.1 technet iso floating around. So last night I cloned my SSD onto a 250GB 2.5 hard drive, but there is not much more I loath than reinstalling windows on my computer. Which is why I don't do it very often. So I started the upgrade and it said

"While the update is downloading you can continue working, we will let you know when we are ready for the next step" or something like that

.So  I had some things open on my computer and then I had to go to a service call. When I got back the windows 8.1 had taken upon itself to start the install and reboot my computer. Good thing I didn't have anything open or anything important I wanted to save.. So far the computer after the upgrade of the install of windows 8 every thing is running great. Had to reinstall Vmware but that's about it. I also noticed the update deshared my printer and I had a LOT of old stuff in the recycle bin I had previously deleted back in August, so that was strange.

Update through Store, simple, easy (except for a few hitches with graphics) and generally painless.

Downloaded from the store on my desktop.

Not upgrading my tablet because it's getting shipped back to Redmond within a fortnight :(

Upgrade through the store on my laptop and one surface, the other surface was on the preview, it installed an update today, but seems to still be stuck on the preview for now.

Update through Store, simple, easy (except for a few hitches with graphics) and generally painless.

I'd add slow, repetitive and not completely intuitive to that list.  It took me about an hour and a half to complete the download and installation on both my Surface and HTPC which is far too long.  Like Warwagon, I was surprised to find that it just wanted to restart my PC all of a sudden and the number of restarts and the constant spinning dots was boring and slightly disconcerting.  It's a shame that this sort of thing can't be done in a simpler, faster way.

Oh and to top it off, my keyboard language was changed from UK to US during the upgrade which momentarily prevented me from logging in to my PC (and almost caused me to lock my account) :/

Anyway, everything's fine now.

I had 2 new computer setups brought into my office. Each one I installed 8.1 on from the app store because of the lack of a standalone installer. Because of the download it increased the setup time by at least 2 hours per machine. (Though I didn't charge them for that). This is annoying we need a standalone installer. Have you noticed how more and more Microsoft is doing things which does not benefit the technician, in fact makes their lifes harder?

I upgraded through the App store.

The one thing that angers me is that you cant get the full version of Windows 8.1. So if your computer dies unexpectedly, you'd have reinstall Windows 8 and then do another install of Windows 8.1. I really wanted to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 because upgrades can cause issues at times and cause things not to work (which it did to me). I want Microsoft to release a downloadable full version of Windows 8.1 for those who upgraded through the MS store.

Via store. Got excited that I can now have start screen up in one monitor while doing something on desktop in the other, then I click on Steam in second monitor and the start screen minimized :crazy:

Mine took about 15 minutes to download and 30-45 minutes to install.

Lucky you.  I'm going on about 3 hours of downloading and if the bar is correct, I'm only halfway there.  Was really hoping to be able to play around tonight.

Edit: Should've said this a long time ago - download is moving along quite a bit faster now.