Windows 8.1 : Did you clean install or did you upgrade?

Did you clean install or did you upgrade 8.1?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Did you clean install or did you upgrade 8.1?

• Clean install
    • Upgraded from the App Store.
    • Clean installed 8 then upgraded to 8.1

I waited until the app store upgrade as that was the preferred upgrade path (a fresh install does not count as an upgrade)

probably already mentioned, but i wasnt very happy to find that when "upgraded" from 8.1 Preview to 8.1, it was a clean install.

THANKS MS

When  you chose to install the preview you where warned you couldn't upgrade to final. hence why I chose to not do it. 

Upgraded my laptop last night and now I can't get any WiFi, all I get is no networks found and device manager says the device is working correctly, I have posted this issue on the Microsoft community page and so far no help to get this working

if it is Intel that is your WiFi, then you are not alone. a thread yesterday posted that Intel knew about this problem since late last year and has done absolutely NOTHING to fix it.

Upgraded through store, nice and simple, zero issues at all

I'm getting nothing but issues, been about ~10 hours and only 62% downloaded (if the internet drops out, which happens alot, it resets to 0% which doesn't help).

The most annoying part was set another computer to download as well at the same time and it downloaded the update in a few hours and installed...so I think the problem is my end not the MS servers. Got my Ultrabook downloading now and even that is going faster then my desktop....so annoying.

EDIT: Finally installing now, yay :happy:

That wifi adapter is garbage all around.

My mom (*sigh*) bought two desktops with them in it.

Neither could ever get a connection in Windows 8.

My Compaq Presario CQ57-420EA came with that device built in and always worked with Windows 8 just not Windows 8.1

if it is Intel that is your WiFi, then you are not alone. a thread yesterday posted that Intel knew about this problem since late last year and has done absolutely NOTHING to fix it.

Its not an Intel device its a Ralink RT5390 802.11/b/g/n

How do I make a fresh install?!

Can I upgrade the installation disc and put it on a USB?

Just download the 8.1 image, boot from it and activate with your Windows 8 product key.

I've been trying to install windows 8.1 over Windows 8.1 Preview.. but I am unable to find or trigger the download/ Setup.

does anyone know how to do it? i've followed this but without any success: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-preview

Never-mind, I found the trigger code: ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade

Just download the 8.1 image, boot from it and activate with your Windows 8 product key.

Where do I download the image? I'm all confused. :wacko:

I need an image with Swedish. I have Windows 8 Pro (Swedish) on discs (32 & 64).

Sorry can't help you there. I am not really aware of foreign versions of the OS. Maybe MSDN or Technet has them...

MSDN and TechNet is not free nor do I have an account for any of those.

Upgrading Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 creates a fair share of bloat that I do not want!

There is no legitimate reason to make this a perceived requirement, other than to socially condition the sheep to expect it. I feel the direction here is to remove the local account option entirely in future versions of Windows.

And this is different from OS X *how*?

OS X has had a similar issue since Snow Leopard; if anything, it got more ingrained with Lion and since (though it still is NOT a requirement, even with Mavericks).  Local accounts remain an option - just a lower-priority option.

There are also multiple options (Windows/XBOX Live, Hotmail, etc) - in my case, they are all the same account.

It's less stringent than Android (where a Google account is mandatory - albeit free; however, Microsoft accounts are also free - not fee).

And this is different from OS X *how*?

OS X has had a similar issue since Snow Leopard; if anything, it got more ingrained with Lion and since (though it still is NOT a requirement, even with Mavericks).  Local accounts remain an option - just a lower-priority option.

There are also multiple options (Windows/XBOX Live, Hotmail, etc) - in my case, they are all the same account.

It's less stringent than Android (where a Google account is mandatory - albeit free; however, Microsoft accounts are also free - not fee).

Your argument means nothing as this is Windows not OSX, Android, etc. Why do you think its a valid comparison based  on everyone else doing it? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

If you want to link everything, thats fine. I can see the benefit for certain people, but for me there is none. Since local accounts are working fine in Windows 8, and you can still create a local, non linked account in 8.1, there doesn't seem to be a solid reason not to give users a choice in this situation.

A fresh install as always with major OS changes

Windows 8.1 is NOT a service pack, it's like doing a full windows upgrade like from Vista to 7. It resets settings and messes with software and drivers. I've had so many problems that I already had to do clean installs on top of the some upgrades due to how many things it broke, including metro apps. On a computer the settings sharing also broke the apps on a computer linked with the same account, I had to reinstall on both.

The ISO from MSDN does not accept 8.0 keys, if you have a computer with 8.0 preinstalled you have to use a software to view and write down the internal key stored in the BIOS before upgrading.

A quick and dirty way to stop MS from forcing the MS account down your throat is to disconnect your internet connection until after the install has completed. 

Upgraded through the App Store. Most of the settings were left alone, except some were set back to factory default, like power saving settings. Checked some settings and eveything seems to working nicely. The installation couldn't be easier.