Windows 8.1 : Did you clean install or did you upgrade?

Did you clean install or did you upgrade 8.1?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Did you clean install or did you upgrade 8.1?

• Clean install
    • Upgraded from the App Store.
    • Clean installed 8 then upgraded to 8.1

Lucky you.  I'm going on about 3 hours of downloading and if the bar is correct, I'm only halfway there.  Was really hoping to be able to play around tonight.

Edit: Should've said this a long time ago - download is moving along quite a bit faster now.

It actually stopped downloading a tad over 50% on the progress bar and started unpacking if that helps.

Upgraded from the app store for the PC and Laptop.  DL and install for the PC 2.5 hrs.  DL and install for the Laptop 2.75 hrs.  No issues, smooth as silk.

I had problems via the store update. I had to wipe out the system reserved partition before it would get past the system check. I also had the general error twice after reboot with success for the third try. Other than that, everything seems fine.

Mine took about 15 minutes to download and 30-45 minutes to install.

Ugh.  

I don't have slow internet.  It's been downloading since 8pm.  THREE HOURS.  25%.  I paused it. I'll do it tomorrow night. 

Download took maybe 15 mins, actual install maybe 30, didn't pay attention, was doing other things like a smart person would have done

The question is did you clean install or did you upgrade to 8.1? Personally I really thought about just doing a clean install using the 8.1 technet iso floating around. So last night I cloned my SSD onto a 250GB 2.5 hard drive, but there is not much more I loath than reinstalling windows on my computer. Which is why I don't do it very often. So I started the upgrade and it said

"While the update is downloading you can continue working, we will let you know when we are ready for the next step" or something like that

.So  I had some things open on my computer and then I had to go to a service call. When I got back the windows 8.1 had taken upon itself to start the install and reboot my computer. Good thing I didn't have anything open or anything important I wanted to save.. So far the computer after the upgrade of the install of windows 8 every thing is running great. Had to reinstall Vmware but that's about it. I also noticed the update deshared my printer and I had a LOT of old stuff in the recycle bin I had previously deleted back in August, so that was strange.

Just for the record. if you had a program open with unsaved data, the update would have paused and told you it needs your assistance to continue. 

Clean install using .iso from Dreamspark a few weeks ago.

BTW i though it was called Windows Store, not app store.

I believe it's just Store now :)

I upgraded through the App store.

The one thing that angers me is that you cant get the full version of Windows 8.1. So if your computer dies unexpectedly, you'd have reinstall Windows 8 and then do another install of Windows 8.1. I really wanted to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 because upgrades can cause issues at times and cause things not to work (which it did to me). I want Microsoft to release a downloadable full version of Windows 8.1 for those who upgraded through the MS store.

Same and 100% agree.

To anyone who did an upgrade install, did the system respect your current account setup or require you make a new Microsoft Account?

A few questions:

1. Can you resume the download if interrupted?

2. Where is the download saved? I would prefer to download it on my laptop and then transfer it to my desktop for install (due to ISP data cap).

To those who used the clean install method, did your original Windows 8 key work with 8.1. I got my Win8 key via Dreamspark

@cooky560 - Respected current account, required to log into account and then verify with a code number. At least that's what I experienced.

I upgraded with the iso's from TechNet... I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and than Windows 8.1 with no issues at all (just some reinstalling of MS Office 2013 and KIS2014)

A few questions:

1. Can you resume the download if interrupted?

2. Where is the download saved? I would prefer to download it on my laptop and then transfer it to my desktop for install (due to ISP data cap).

To those who used the clean install method, did your original Windows 8 key work with 8.1. I got my Win8 key via Dreamspark

It can be paused if you need too. If the connection drops out it resets it back to zero though (well for me it did).

No idea where it stores the file sorry.

@cooky560 - Respected current account, required to log into account and then verify with a code number. At least that's what I experienced.

Same thing happened on my end. 

I upgraded my desktop from the store just fine, no problem.  Also upgraded my tablet from 8.1 preview to 8.1 final from the store as well without issue.   Though I don't seem to have been able to download the GA rollup yet, only a few other minor updates (around 30MB).