Windows 8.1 - "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" watermark

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:02

Just upgraded to Windows 8.1 x64 Pro via Windows Store, now I'm getting the "Secureboot isn't configured correctly" watermark. Looks like this is a common issue, no clear consensus on what to do. My feeling is that this an OS bug, never got that on Windows 8 and I didn't change any BIOS option. There's no SecureBoot option that I could ever find in my BIOS (and I did search), so I don't think there's anything I can do.

Anyone else getting this?

http://answers.micro...m=1382065146776

#2 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:09

I have it also, haven't really looked into it, will have to wait for the weekend

#3 PixilEyes

PixilEyes

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Posted 18 October 2013 - 15:12

Same problem here. Did you find how to fix it?

#4 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10 Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

Posted 18 October 2013 - 15:13

Did you get the updates from Windows Update after upgrading? Some people say the updates fix that issue and for some people it doesn't.

#5 PixilEyes

PixilEyes

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Posted 18 October 2013 - 15:18

Did you get the updates from Windows Update after upgrading? Some people say the updates fix that issue and for some people it doesn't.

No upgrades are available for me. I forced it to check. 

I also tried to turn on Secure Boot in the bios but it was grayed out. HP laptop with an AMD A8 processor. 

#6 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 18 October 2013 - 15:54

Here's the direct link to the Post 8.1 cumulative update

http://www.microsoft...lldownloads_all

#7 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 18 October 2013 - 20:45

I had it too on a clean install. I couldn't get it to go away with any settings in the BIOS. I just reshacked it away.

#8 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:31

I had the watermark on a Dell Vostro 3560 (work laptop I'm using to test the Win8.1/Office 2013 combination). Turning SecureBoot on in the EFI/BIOS made it go away. 

#9 spike232

spike232

Hedgehog

Posted 20 October 2013 - 15:08

I had this issue on one of my pc's, turning on Secure Boot did not help, I had to play about with the settings in the bios relating to secure boot keys, some people say resetting it to OEM keys works but i dident have a setting anything like that, for me it was enabling custom setup and then disabling and re enabling the only key option.

#10 Radium

Radium

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2013 - 21:48

I have that watermark too and secure boot is not available in the BIOS. MSI removed it, maybe because of bugs.
Anyway, my Gigabyte GV-R697OC-2GD doesn't support UEFI GOP.

How do I disable the watermark?

#11 OP Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:31

Finally managed to disable this by enabling the "security keys" or something like that in the BIOS. Still strange why I never got that message on Windows 8.

#12 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 27 October 2013 - 14:23

Finally managed to disable this by enabling the "security keys" or something like that in the BIOS. Still strange why I never got that message on Windows 8.

Oddly if I Enable Security keys in secure boot my machine doesn't start AT ALL, 

#13 beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:06

Had this problem on my Acer Aspire S3 after the 8.1 upgrade. Only way I could fix it was resetting the BIOS to defaults.

#14 Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:22

http://support.micro...px?kbid=2902864

Well well well, somebody at Microsoft came to their senses. Not sure if this will be on Windows Update, but hey, no more resource hacking required it seems.

#15 uxo22

uxo22

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:32

Just upgraded to Windows 8.1 x64 Pro via Windows Store, now I'm getting the "Secureboot isn't configured correctly" watermark. Looks like this is a common issue, no clear consensus on what to do. My feeling is that this an OS bug, never got that on Windows 8 and I didn't change any BIOS option. There's no SecureBoot option that I could ever find in my BIOS (and I did search), so I don't think there's anything I can do.

Anyone else getting this?

http://answers.micro...m=1382065146776

I got the same problem, however I found out that my secureboot had been disabled.  (I actually remember doing it at one point.)  After turning secureboot on again the watermark went away.

On a surface you can turn your surface off, then turn it back on while holding the volume up button.  This will take you to the options screen for secure boot, re-enable it and then reboot and you should be good to go.

At least that's what fixed it for me.