Are you gonna buy the new PS4? why?

It's not so much that.. as:  "I want to get a new console, both are reasonably specc'd, lots of games are going to be cross platform, what are justifications for buying one over the other."

Like you could say: "I want good graphics"  Well.. both have good graphics.  "I want Bluray"  well.. both have blu ray.  However it is easy to list things about the other that you don't like, versus what you do like.  

I prefer the PS4 controller -> Means I don't like the one controller,

I prefer the PS4 interface -> Means I don't like metro,

I prefer the PS4 lineup -> Means the one's games don't interest me.  

I prefer the PS4 price -> Means 100$ extra bugs me about the one.

Then comes in how the 100$ is for Kinect, which I won't use (won't get ps eye either)

With Kinect comes the focus on voice recognition:  Which again I won't use

With voice recognition comes a bunch of media based features which I don't want

I get a lot of extra stuff I don't want and will never use, with the One and there are a lot of other aspects I don't like.

Your first two paragraphs could summarize my post. And I'm with you about the extra $100 bucks for something i should consider to buy and not forced to do it.

It's not so much that.. as:  "I want to get a new console, both are reasonably specc'd, lots of games are going to be cross platform, what are justifications for buying one over the other."

Like you could say: "I want good graphics"  Well.. both have good graphics.  "I want Bluray"  well.. both have blu ray.  However it is easy to list things about the other that you don't like, versus what you do like.  

I prefer the PS4 controller -> Means I don't like the one controller,

I prefer the PS4 interface -> Means I don't like metro,

I prefer the PS4 lineup -> Means the one's games don't interest me.  

I prefer the PS4 price -> Means 100$ extra bugs me about the one.

Then comes in how the 100$ is for Kinect, which I won't use (won't get ps eye either)

With Kinect comes the focus on voice recognition:  Which again I won't use

With voice recognition comes a bunch of media based features which I don't want

I get a lot of extra stuff I don't want and will never use, with the One and there are a lot of other aspects I don't like.

See, using a comparison I can give better justification, and can give more reasons as to why I went the way I did.

For someone that is a fan of the ps4, you sure do take the time to make it about the things you don't like on the X1. I get that your saying you must compare to the X1 in order to justify your purchase, but the reality is that those things you listed do not really give the PS4 much credit.

I have yet to see you simply list the things you like about the Ps4. What about Gaikai? What about PS+? What about the sharing features or the improvements to the controller? What about the game dvr feature, or the social integration, etc, etc. Talk about the games that are drawing you in. I mean get specific here.

I'm not sure what your intention is, but I would love to see people lay out specifically why they want a ps4 (or any console) and not turn it into a why they don't like the X1 discussion. You think you have to justify the things you like by explaining what you don't like about the competition, but to me, you just need to be more specific about what draws you to your choice. If anyone bashes you for that, well they are just fanboy trolls that fill the internet.

The reason I want a ps4 has little do with the X1. Now maybe that's just because I actually buy more than one console in a generation (not at launch, but over time). Maybe others plan to only own one for the entire generation and that's cool. As I said before, you have to compare the two when trying to pick between them. I just thought this thread would be different. A chance to share what we like about the PS4 on its own. The features we want to use, the games we want to play, etc.

I agree, however when it comes down to it.. the PS4 and One are the ones to compare.  They are the big names, they are coming at the same time, and they are the fuel for this round of Consoles.

I could compare to the Wii U but.. that isn't a valid comparison.

I know, if you are personally trying to pick between them, you have to compare. But this thread wasn't really worded that way. It was about what makes the PS4 good, not which is better.

Its like trying to tell someone why they should buy a ps4 vs a gaming pc or vs not buying one at all. Tell me what it does that makes it worth $400. That kind of thing. Maybe that helps people hear about features or games they didn't know about.

Your first two paragraphs could summarize my post. And I'm with you about the extra $100 bucks for something i should consider to buy and not forced to do it.

Hey I think that's a perfectly valid reason to pick one over the other. Why buy a console that includes things you don't want for an extra cost vs a console that doesn't? If the prices were the same, than it wouldn't be a point of argument and people that aren't interested in extras now would be willing to take them. But its not and so we have the choice.

Again, my only point was that there are lots of VS threads, it would have just been nice to see more responses about what specifically makes the ps4 a great console. The price tag can certainly be a reason, but there are lots of other things.

I'm getting a One because of its media capabilities to be used as a streaming box, also for when all the family kids come over to play on.

PC is where it's at for the real games.

It seems a good reason to me too.

I'm not intended to start a flame war, but considering this time the competition is almost the same (hardware wise speaking), why are you people gonna buy the new PS4? Maybe i'm talking from the perspective of a new PS3 Owner some of you know i'm and i not know all the advantages, but right now i'm in the middle of a desicion here about buying a new next gen console and it seems obvious for a owner of a PS3  buy the PS4. But, is that obvious?

Thanks for any word of advice.

I preordered the PS4 on day 1.

Here are some of the reasons why I prefer it over the XBone:

1) I have ZERO interest in motion controllers (not a hit against MS, I don't like the Playstation Move, the Wii/Wii U, or Kinect).  Not a slight against them, just not my thing.  As such I don't want to pay $100 extra to get one that I wouldn't even hook up.  I'm glad you apparently don't HAVE to hook it up anymore and if I got a XBone I wouldn't but a good chunk of the price difference between the systems is for that hardware.

2) I don't like the "walled garden" that is Xbox Live Gold.  As a PC gamer first I don't like the idea of paying for multi-player at all but both consoles have gone this route so I'm stuck paying for multiplayer now... at least with the PS4 I can surf the web, play Free 2 Play MMOs, stream Netflix, etc. without having to pay for PSN+.

3) I like that I can upgrade the HDD in the PS4 and that disc versions of the games don't REQUIRE a full HDD install.  I bought my PS3 at launch as a 60GB PS3 and today it is a 500GB hdd by throwing my old laptop HDD in there when I upgraded it.  I MUCH prefer that to having to plug in external hard drives and having a non-user replacable one built in.  Also while I expect most disc games to give you the OPTION to load the game onto your HDD in order to decrease load times and such I prefer to not HAVE to.  If every game I have has to be fully installed on the HDD then I'm going to run through that 500GB HDD all the faster... plus what happens when I rent a game from RedBox... I don't want to fully install all of them.  Both consoles will let you go all digital if you prefer but only the PS4 lets you run games from the Disc if the game just isn't important enough to suck up tons of HDD space.

4) I prefer the PlayStation controller to the Xbox.  Maybe it's because I've had a PS, PS2, and PS3 and I'm used to it but I don't think it's just that.  I think the Xbox one looks more fisher price giant plasticy and the lack of symmetry bothers me for some reason... I want the analog sticks on the same line and the D pad with the 4 buttons, it as a certain design appeal to me.  Also I like that it's rechargeable out of the box and uses a standard mini-usb cable instead of using batteries I have to replace or having to buy a separate play and charge kit.  I also think the PS4 specifically fixes the ergonomic issues people seem to have had (I never had a problem with the PS design) but also adds new capabilties like the clickable touch pad.  I'm disappointed they didn't go farther but MS didn't really add anything the to the Xbone controller so the clickable touchpad at least is SOME innovation. (it also can act as a move controller with the color bar but again, that's not really my thing)  As a side note I'm actually more curious about the new Steam controller as it looks like it could actually be more revolutionary... if it actually works as advertised.

5) I know it's not a big difference but I do feel the PS4 hardware (gfx specifically) is slightly better then then Xbone and getting better hardware for less money has it's appeal.  Also there is a certain appeal to having better hardware in a smaller package and I just like the look of it with the blue light thingy and all.  It's especially cool to find out it has overheating protection and will actually shut down if it gets to hot and the blue light on the side will glow red.  Once you let it cool down you just start it back up and off you go.  No more fried consoles and returning for service, etc.

6) Say what you want about Sony but they have a history of continuing to support things even if they don't catch on.  The Mini-disc for example never really became the everyone media they wanted it to but they kept supporting it for many years.  They have a history of supporting their prior console well into the life of the new one.  I'm not saying MS won't, I think they've said they will, but they don't have as strong of a history to support it.  I don't remember much Xbox stuff going on after the 360 launch but the PS2 was still getting new versions and new releases well after the PS3 came out.  In the unlikely event the PS4 tanks I'm reasonably sure Sony will support it for years.  I'm not sure so confident about MS supporting the 360 if it were to tank.  I could totally see them trying to switch directions and push like an RT or windows 8+ box in your living room instead and if I wanted that I'd just hook up a PC to my TV as it is (as I said I'm a PC gamer first anyway).

Hey I think that's a perfectly valid reason to pick one over the other. Why buy a console that includes things you don't want for an extra cost vs a console that doesn't? If the prices were the same, than it wouldn't be a point of argument and people that aren't interested in extras now would be willing to take them. But its not and so we have the choice.

Again, my only point was that there are lots of VS threads, it would have just been nice to see more responses about what specifically makes the ps4 a great console. The price tag can certainly be a reason, but there are lots of other things.

I understand your point. And most of the "cons" that I can hear about the XBox one (like the metro interface) doesn't seems to me to be a deal breaker. I still not getting a good reason to buy neither, but I have to admit the PS4 seems more like my taste.

no, because there is something called xbox one

1.kinect.
2.xbox live
3.tv integration
4.better games
5.better OS
6.SNAP VIEW
7.better appz
8.better controller
9.better noise profile
10.built for the future

I understand your point. And most of the "cons" that I can hear about the XBox one (like the metro interface) doesn't seems to me to be a deal breaker. I still not getting a good reason to buy neither, but I have to admit the PS4 seems more like my taste.

Yeah, it just seems like post after post starts with 'This is why its better than the X1' and it is simply a run down of what you don't like about the X1. The thread is asking the question "Why are you buying a ps4", not 'X1 vs PS4'. People obviously feel like their biggest reason for owning a ps4 is because it does not do what the X1 does. By that I mean, the ps4 doesn't bundle a motion controller that jacks up the price, or the ps4 doesn't require ps+ to access Netflix, etc, etc.

Again, where is the talk about the services Sony is offering, the new twist to the controller, PS+, etc, etc.

I have specific reasons for owning both consoles and its easy to compare them, but they can also stand on their own.

no, because there is something called xbox one

1.kinect.

2.xbox live

3.tv integration

4.better games

5.better OS

6.SNAP VIEW

7.better appz

8.better controller

9.better noise profile

10.built for the future

This is pretty much the same for me as well.  I have no doubt that the PS4 will be a great console, but I like the Xbox ecosystem much better, and I tend to like the games on it better than those on PS as well. I also think Microsoft has a better vision for the future as well.

I've never really understood the "I ONLY WANT ONE BECAUSE OTHER BRAND SUCKS" mentality, as all platforms have their various pros and cons.

I'll be getting a PS4 somewhere down the line when they announce the next Naughty Dog game, and hopefully have a VITA\PS4 bundle out too.

• Like 1

Not right away, unless I come into some money in the near future, but I do plan on buying one.

Reason: I started out this generation of consoles with an XBox 360.  I eventually bought a PS3 and sold my XBox 360 because after getting the PS3, the 360 never really got much use.  The games I want to play will be on the PS4, and Microsoft is heading in a direction with the XBone that I'm not particularly fond of.  The fact that they even entertained the thought of requiring an internet connection once every 24 hours just to play offline games was a major turn-off for me, and says a lot about how the people behind Microsoft's gaming division think.

The fact that they even entertained the thought of requiring an internet connection once every 24 hours just to play offline games was a major turn-off for me, and says a lot about how the people behind Microsoft's gaming division think.

Well they must think they should listen to us when we tell them something loud enough, since they tore up their plans and retooled their platform in order to make it up to us.

I don't know, I guess you can crucify them for ever thinking it was a good idea, or you can give them a second chance because they actually did what it took to fix problems that we raised. Seems people are split over that point.

Nope. If I was going to buy one of the next-gen consoles it'd be the Xbox One, for the controller alone. The dualshock controller is simply a dated design and I could never stand it. On the other hand the Xbox 360 controller is the best gamepad I've had the pleasure to use; I've bought 4 so far for my HTPC and I plan on gradually replacing them with Xbox One controllers.

That said, I'm not buying the Xbox One either. PC master race and all that. I don't mind missing on a few console exclusives now and then, and I think ports should be more common and higher quality on next-gen due to similarity of architectures.

Not right away, unless I come into some money in the near future, but I do plan on buying one.

Same here. Money is tight at the moment. I will buy one but I'm gonna have to wait a bit.

Not going to buy a PS4 as of now.

Why? My health care cost went up by about 700 dollars this year, with a $2500 deductible on top...

I figured I can wait a bit on a PS4.

OUCH!!! My health care is looking to take a hit come 1/1/14... We at work are already angry in advance...lookin at about a $700-$900 hike as well....

Yes, I am getting a PS4.  I have it pre-ordered, and it should ship at launch.

Reasons for buying PS4 over the One

1) I owned a PS2, PS3

2) I never owned an Xbox, or 360

3) Never had an issue with any sony product

4) Don't have a use for or want or need the Kinect

5) 100$ is a big difference, especially with point 4

6) The game line up on PS4 is more enticing to me than the One

7) I don't use voice commands, nor do I need something that controls my TV.

8) I don't like the metro interface

9) I don't want to have to pay to access things I should get for free

10) I don't like how MS announced the One or all the reversals they have done

11) I don't like how MS emphasized the Media features

12) The PS4 in my eyes has the power to outlast the One

13) I prefer the dualshock controller over the xbox controller

I know you love Sony and that is fine. But you never say what it is about Playstation that grabbed you and kept you. It always seems like you chose Playstation to be spiteful toward Microsoft.

I have grown bitter towards Sony over the years, but I always have to have a Sony product because of quality... And Sony does always seem to have something that draws me in.

Felt the PS3 offered no value outside of Blu-Ray..ended up buying 2 (still owning my launch day 60gb PS3), Uncharted, LoU, inFamous, Heavy Rain (a QTE fest that I did not mind)! Journey, etc. Made me eat my words.

Never had PS+, but I definitely see the value in it.

From all the video and pics I've seen, the DS4 looks like it's screaming USE ME. i don't know if it's because the Dual Shock has sucked for so long that, all the improvements seem like they are bigger than life right now. I still hate the layout of the analogs (always hated my huge hands touching when playing games).

When I always say that there is no value in a Sony product (I even did a rant on them a few months ago right here ondNeowin), SONY tends to make me eat my words.. The PS4 looks way better now than what I saw in May/June....

I'm trying to learn, to compare the PS4 to its predecessor... And not what the competition is offering... And despite the CELL being a powerhouse, the PS4 does fill all the PS3's short comings and more

Nope. If I was going to buy one of the next-gen consoles it'd be the Xbox One, for the controller alone. The dualshock controller is simply a dated design and I could never stand it. On the other hand the Xbox 360 controller is the best gamepad I've had the pleasure to use; I've bought 4 so far for my HTPC and I plan on gradually replacing them with Xbox One controllers.

The main thing I did not like about 360 was the controller.   I quite like PS3 one though.   (I had both consoles for over 4 years)

However, the One controller looks real good, as does the PS4 one.   So I am not sure which one I would prefer.

I preferred PS3 games to Xbox.... again, I am not sure about this yet now, because I have wanted to play Killer Instinct remake forever, and only Xbox One has it...

So I decided to wait it out, at least for 6 months, and seen whats up then!    No reason for me to buy at launch whatsoever!     Need to see further game releases and real customer feedback!

I'm going with PS4 based on price and that I never liked any of the XBox exclusives but am very interested in the Playstation exclusives. I wish Nintendo had a compelling console this gen :(

It was going to be a day 1 purchase for me, but now with only 2 exclusives it probably won't be until further down the line.

It will be the first time in my life I will be able to afford both consoles easily at launch day 1 but now due to lack of games I'll just pick up a xbox one. I saved hard for the PS3 and had in YLOD on me after 12 months with Sony refusing to fix it without me paying $350 on something I had already spent $1,000 on. Needless to say, I told them to go ###### them self this generation.

They got cocky and it showed with the market share Microsoft was able to steal from playstation. I went with them and now have over 50+ games on the one system. Sure the RROD, but Microsoft replaced for free without any money on my behalf. People say Sony still won this generation due to sales in Europe slowly edging out Microsoft and by a tiny margin globally but they seem to forget that the generation before it was 95% Sony market share to Microsofts 5% and Microsoft have dominated the American market place completely.

I will own both within 12 months of launch, but I don't see much separation at all in graphics and that being the deciding factor only who has the longer legs and better road map for the next 10 years will win in the end.

Yes i'm getting a PS4 mainly because i think it offers me better value than the Xbox One. I don't only mean that by the console being cheaper but also, seeing as i have to pay for MP on both consoles and that i don't buy many games in a year, i believe that the games i will get to play with PS+ will give me more value for money. Also Naught Dog :p

That's not to say i won't get an Xbox One in the future. I bought a 360 as well but it's very much my secondary console.