• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 OP theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,453 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:01

Well, my nephew was last night when he and his non army mates weren't allowed into a night club because he is in the army.

One incident does not prove national contempt towards soldiers.

#32 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• 8,540 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:05

One incident does not prove national contempt towards soldiers.

Never said it did.  But there is contempt throughout the country from different types of people.

#33 OP theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,453 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:09

Never said it did.  But there is contempt throughout the country from different types of people.

There's contempt for people who wear the wrong football shirt or dress in an unconventional way too, so I don't see the point you're trying to make. Even in the US you have the Westboro Baptist Church picketing the funerals of dead soldiers. The point is the vast majority of people respect soldiers.

#34 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,874 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:10

oh come on.... i understand the ceremonies for the dead from war cus they are fighting for our freedom whilst most people are happy sitting on there arses eating mcdonalds but moaning over planes that cant fly is abit rediculous

its like having a memorial for the dead from world war 2.... if no allied force gained traction we'd all be speaking german and probably killed for bad mouthing the fuhrer, they should be remembered but moaning about a plane that cant fly is stupid

#35 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 8,083 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:23

oh come on.... i understand the ceremonies for the dead from war cus they are fighting for our freedom whilst most people are happy sitting on there arses eating mcdonalds but moaning over planes that cant fly is abit rediculous

its like having a memorial for the dead from world war 2.... if no allied force gained traction we'd all be speaking german and probably killed for bad mouthing the fuhrer, they should be remembered but moaning about a plane that cant fly is stupid

"they should be remembered but moaning about a plane that cant fly is stupid"

No doubt about that!

#36 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,154 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 13:07

I posted a news story and offered my opinion on it.

You posted an opinionated video piece, which you cherry picked out the parts that didn't go with your agenda, ironman posted the actual story. 

#37 OP theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,453 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 14:02

You posted an opinionated video piece

Both the video and the source article highlighted that the ceremonies were fake / phony and that the planes were not operational, with the video positing that it could be considered propaganda (something the corporate media would never publish for fear of a backlash from sponsors). If you don't agree with it then that's fine and I respect that but clearly it is a subject worthy of a debate. As I said, and the video supports, I consider it to be propaganda.

#38 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• 509 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 14:12

That wasn't my point. I was simply explaining how I consider it to be propaganda and distasteful. Others are free to disagree and I have always been willing to respond to other people's perspectives, even if I disagree with them.

Had they been real working planes it wouldn't have been a news story.  :rolleyes:

How is it propaganda? Its just a tradition.

#39 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,154 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 14:32

^

And the video also supports the other side, that it's ceremonial. It also doesn't look like the Pentagon was trying to hide this fact that they used a non working plane and they give a valid explanation. What you fail to understand is that using this as a propaganda tool is both a waste of time and money. Most of these are held for families and veterans and are rarely if ever publicized to the general public for public viewing. So who exactly are they trying to convince and what is the message? If it's propaganda it's to a very limited market, part can't server again and part lost loved ones to those putting on the ceremony.