Photo

CAUTION: You May Lose Reset/Refresh if You Upgrade to Windows 8.1

win8.1

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 19 October 2013 - 15:37

May I ask what you've seen in 8.1 that you didn't in 8, that has almost swayed you? Personally, I still see nothing in 8/8.1 that has even remotely swayed me to leave Windows 7.

Surely not the start button?! :)

It's probably just more the fact that I'm either getting older, or I've gotten over myself about it and have begun to fall in line

To this point I haven't demoed 8.1, only seen screenshots and youtube videos, but for some reason I cannot explain, it's beginning to appeal to me.

#17 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 October 2013 - 18:43

My clean install of windows 8.1 is missing that file too :/

#18 trieste

trieste

Neowinian

Posted 19 October 2013 - 19:56

Hi, after the entire procedure is done, can the folder with the install.wim be deleted (to save space)?

#19 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 October 2013 - 19:59

It's all good. I never used that feature anyway. I just keep drive images.

#20 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 19 October 2013 - 20:14

Is it possible to use the enterprise 8.1 .iso with my purchased 8.0 key to make it a Win 8.1 install?

#21 Tews

Tews

Professional Lurker

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 October 2013 - 20:23

Is it possible to use the enterprise 8.1 .iso with my purchased 8.0 key to make it a Win 8.1 install?

No, they are two different animals... Enterprise uses a MAK key/server to validate.  And your copy of 8.0 is a retail version, and requires a retail key.  But you can update it to 8.1 through Windows store...

#22 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 19 October 2013 - 20:30

No, they are two different animals... Enterprise uses a MAK key/server to validate.  And your copy of 8.0 is a retail version, and requires a retail key.  But you can update it to 8.1 through Windows store...

I see.

In that case, given my crappy internet connection, and the fact that I have 4 PCs to update, I may as well stick to 8.0 until I get faster net access.

I really do not like the fact that Microsoft discontinued the .iso downloads.

Sucks.

#23 mhweb

mhweb

Neowinian

Posted 19 October 2013 - 20:39

Hello everyone,

For those looking to be able to use "Refresh your PC" recovery feature in Windows 8.1 without having to resource downloading Windows 8.1 Enterprise. There is another way that involves creating a custom install.wim image file with your current installation files.

Though you want to make sure your system is clean when you do this.

Here are the instructions:

1. Create a folder in the C:\ drive called WinRec.

2. Open the command prompt and type this command: recimg /createimage C:\WinRec

3. Type the following command: reagentc.exe /setosimage /path C:\WinRec /target c:\Windows /Index 1 

Finally, exit the Command Prompt and try once again to Remove everything or Refresh your PC.

#24 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 19 October 2013 - 22:32

Hi, after the entire procedure is done, can the folder with the install.wim be deleted (to save space)?

Once you finished refreshing or resetting your PC, you can delete the files. However, if you do delete this, you will need to copy the Install.wim file to that folder again in the future when you want to rese or refresh you OS.

#25 Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:35

This, along with every other major issue with the installation process of 8.1 (along with that stupid Secure Boot watermark that is absolutely unnecessary), is making me doubt whether Windows 8.1 was designed to be as anti-consumer as possible.

#26 ishamm

ishamm

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2013 - 17:03

my 8.1 REALLY messed up, and as a result i can only boot into safe mode (i dont know why). I upgraded from the store, so dont have the refresh option. is there a way to use the enterprise evaluation as a recovery media for refresh? i can do the 'cmd prompt magic', but since i cant refresh from safe mode it doesnt seem to help. thanks.

#27 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2013 - 17:20

my 8.1 REALLY messed up, and as a result i can only boot into safe mode (i dont know why). I upgraded from the store, so dont have the refresh option. is there a way to use the enterprise evaluation as a recovery media for refresh? i can do the 'cmd prompt magic', but since i cant refresh from safe mode it doesnt seem to help. thanks.

No, don't use the enterprise method. There is a better way we figured out. We can now download Windows 8.1 ISO using our Windows 8 Key. Check out this forum post and follow the instructions. Once you burn your Windows 8.1 ISO to DVD or make an USB, you can use that to refresh your PC.

http://www.neowin.ne...80-product-key/

#28 ishamm

ishamm

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2013 - 17:25

thanks, i have tried that, but get errors saying its unable to connect to the internet, i have been trying various methods all day to no avail. 

is it possible for anyone to share an 8.1 iso they have succesfuly downloaded? many thanks

#29 WickedGirl

WickedGirl

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:33

Hello! Like a fool, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 last week, and I have been having nothing but trouble. I decided to perform a refresh of the installation, in an attempt to keep my personal files for the moment, while hopefully fixing any problem issues with the 8.1 upgrade installation. Imagine my surprise when I went to the Recovery area in control panel and selected "Refresh", only to be told that "some files are missing" so the refresh cannot continue. Well crapola! Now what do I do. Anyone else experience this?

#30 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 29 October 2013 - 13:00

[Threads merged]