CAUTION: You May Lose Reset/Refresh if You Upgrade to Windows 8.1

win8.1

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#46 c0rnm3al

c0rnm3al

Neowinian

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:02

Guys tonight I've tried "enterprise evaluation" method... and it doesn't work!

I've got broken Enterprise evaluation OS!

Now I don't know how to restore my Windows 8.1 Pro  :s

This is exactly what happened to me.  I accidentally installed windows 8.1 Enterprise, but am unable to activate it with a valid product key because I don't have one.  As a result, my computer shuts down on its own after about an hour.  Is there any way I can go back to windows 8.1, or even 8?  I really need help with this.

#47 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:08

This is exactly what happened to me.  I accidentally installed windows 8.1 Enterprise, but am unable to activate it with a valid product key because I don't have one.  As a result, my computer shuts down on its own after about an hour.  Is there any way I can go back to windows 8.1, or even 8?  I really need help with this.

My advise, read the posts by Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Read carefully, most everyone who took the time to go through it found a solution

#48 c0rnm3al

c0rnm3al

Neowinian

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:24

My advise, read the posts by Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Read carefully, most everyone who took the time to go through it found a solution

I read everything and attempted to install both windows 8.1 and 8 using a product key I got from a keyfinder.  Neither of them worked; it told me that "this product key cannot be used to install a retail version of windows 8.1."  I assume it's because the key was for Windows 8.1 Enterprise.  I don't have my old key from 8 or 8.1, and I don't know what else to do.

#49 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:21

I read everything and attempted to install both windows 8.1 and 8 using a product key I got from a keyfinder.  Neither of them worked; it told me that "this product key cannot be used to install a retail version of windows 8.1."  I assume it's because the key was for Windows 8.1 Enterprise.  I don't have my old key from 8 or 8.1, and I don't know what else to do.

uh, what? earlier you had a win8 key and now you only have an enterprise key?? just install 8.1 with the generic key and put your win8 key in to activate.

#50 c0rnm3al

c0rnm3al

Neowinian

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:39

uh, what? earlier you had a win8 key and now you only have an enterprise key?? just install 8.1 with the generic key and put your win8 key in to activate.

Unfortunately I got the win8 key from a keyfinder.  I didn't write it down because I didn't exactly plan on changing OS.  I can't get that key back now because the keyfinder detects my Enterprise key, because that's the OS i'm on now.  Also, what do you mean by "generic key?"

#51 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:51

Was the computer bought from a store? As it might have the product key on a label somewhere on the tower/base unit

#52 c0rnm3al

c0rnm3al

Neowinian

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:58

No, I bought it used off the internet; I don't think it came with the product key.

#53 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:17

Thread cleaned. Use of a key finder to retrieve a key from a legitimately licensed installation is not illegal.

There is no way to activate the Enterprise eval, with or without a key, nor any known way of converting it to something that is not Enterprise in order to attempt activation using a retail key.

The best shot, other than simply wiping and reinstalling, is to try reversing the process by obtaining a clean retail ISO that you have the license for, making a reset/restore partition exactly as you did with the Enterprise eval, and trying to restore the PC again with the new recovery files. I have not received any feedback about whether this works or not.

Edit 2: Sorry, I didn't see the bit where you mentioned not having a key either. What sort of laptop is this? Do you think it came with an OEM installation? I don't suppose there's a recovery partition or anything either?

Edited by zhangm, 04 January 2014 - 09:31.

#54 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 04 January 2014 - 21:59

If it is an OEM laptop, the key is stored in the SLIC table in the BIOS so on a clean install of Win8 (with the appropriate version) it should detect and use it: http://superuser.com...ded-in-the-bios

#55 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 06 January 2014 - 00:04

it should also be physically printed on the COA sticker on the bottom of the computer.

as long as you have a legit win8 key you're good to go. just find a win8.1 ISO and install with the generic key (XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB) which lets you install but does not activate. Once you're in Windows when you click "activate" you'll enter your actual win8 key and that'll work no problem.

So the hardest part should be obtaining your original key and a disk image of Win8.1.

#56 +dsbig

dsbig

Neowinian

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:10

I followed the instructions and went to refresh and it gave different error after that

could not find the recovery environment

I ran the following 

Run command prompt as administrator, and then input

reagentc /info

and it showed that windows recovery was disabled.

so 

then I put

reagentc /enable

Then I went back to refresh and tested it and it worked.

thought I would post this incase someone else has this problem.

#57 elfrik999

elfrik999

Neowinian

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:41

Okay i have tried everything and nothing works to refresh or reset my Laptop i have a install.wim and its active but everytime i try to refresh it says Drive where Windows is installed is Locked please unlock Drive and try again.

when i try to reset it says Reset Partition is missing.

Anybody got a solution to this problem i am stressing with this crappy Windows 8.1 and only want my original Windows 8 back or at least a stabil System.

#58 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:19

Oh boy!

This sounds like another fine mess!! :wacko:

#59 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 12 April 2014 - 19:16

See if this helps

http://social.techne...=w8itprogeneral

#60 elfrik999

elfrik999

Neowinian

Posted 12 April 2014 - 20:35

Anybody here having trouble finding there original Windows 8 Key after they upgraded should try wpkey_v1.4.7d works great shows you the Original Key you had before you upgraded to 8.1.