Photo

CAUTION: You May Lose Reset/Refresh if You Upgrade to Windows 8.1

win8.1

61 replies to this topic

#61 elfrik999

elfrik999

Neowinian

Posted 12 April 2014 - 20:52

Nope i have tried all that already i even had a Tech on the Asus hotline for about an Hour who went through some stuff with me and he can't fix it he said its a problem with Windows 8.1 itself.

I will tell you what i have tried so far:

Boot option changes = ineffective

Cmd in Admin = sfc /scannow, ren system restart, diskpart, bootrec, Dism.exe all tried all = ineffective

wim datei restart and refresh on drive C: and D: = ineffective

chkdsk runs without error

Disk Management = no problems

Reinstall from external Media = ineffective

ReAgentC scan shows active and no error

I have a full recovery disk from my original windows 8 and a Usb stick with a Disk Image and both dont work when i try to use them it tells me that they can't be used on ths OS i have.

#62 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Cesaro Section

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted Yesterday, 07:18

Nazmus, you're a lifesaver. Something weird happened with my Windows 8.1 Pro installation last week. No idea what the cause was, but a lot of seemingly unfixable issues reared their ugly heads; Internet Explorer wouldn't work at all (it'd open, stay frozen on nothing, then close after about 10 seconds), my product key seemed to be missing when I tried to find it (still activated though), got a "no such interface supported" error on when trying to bring something up from the control panel using the search charm, DirectX's diagnostic tool kept crashing after startup (if Soluto is to be believed), got an "interface not registered" error whenever I tried to open something from uTorrent (although it did open about 10 seconds later), Revo Uninstaller stopped working completely throwing up an "automation object not found" error whenever I tried to start it, there's probably a couple more I never got the chance to encounter. I got Windows 8 through the discounted online upgrade route, so obviously, no Windows 8.1 disc, but the refresh option didn't seem to accept anything anyway; I borrowed a Windows 8.1 Pro disc, and the computer threw up the same error with it in. Thankfully stumbled upon your advice though; I followed the steps (just using the Windows 8.1 Pro disc rather than the Enterprise Evaluation ISO), refresh worked first time and everything's golden again; it now seems to be as fast as my the PC I built for my brother last year (which it should have been in the first place, as we have the same Samsung 840 256GB SSD). :) Although there was one slight hiccup; it never saved a list of the programs that were removed. :p

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!