5 replies to this topic

#1 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:26

Hi -

I am looking for a monitor which is less than 30cm/12" tall. Needs to have a VGA connection.
Ideally from a reputable brand (HP/LG/Lenovo/Dell/Samsung etc). Happy to buy used. Cheap would be good.

Any ideas?

#2 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:29

If you're not in hurry, wait for the first monitors with the g-sync from Nvidia.

edit: never mind. I've read the title wrong in the neowin spy. Thought you were looking to buy 30 inch monitor :D

Doubt the g-sync monitors will be available in under 23' flavors.

#3 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:46

You can.... buy a bare bones LCD screen, then use a VGA to LVDS adapter

#4 Slammers

Slammers

Neowinian

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:58

If you're not in hurry, wait for the first monitors with the g-sync from Nvidia.

edit: never mind. I've read the title wrong in the neowin spy. Thought you were looking to buy 30 inch monitor :D

Doubt the g-sync monitors will be available in under 23' flavors.

G-sync monitors were literally announced today, only work with kepler based nvidia cards, and will likely cost a premium. Not too mention they fix a problem that generally only hardcore pc gamers would be bothered by.

I wouldn't wait for a g-sync monitor unless you've got a reasonably good setup (770+) and you are really bothered by tearing (I run SLI 760's on a 120hz 1440p monitior and never notice tearing)

Plus in original post OP states the monitor needs VGA, so I highly doubt they have a kepler based card. 

OP, do you mean less that 30cm tall including stand? 

#5 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 October 2013 - 13:04

^ Were announced yesterday with live demos and g-sync is a chip in the monitor. As far as I understood from an interviews by linustech, the monitors will work on any gpu.

Also some monitors will have an upgrade function, so you don't really need to buy a new monitor.

#6 OP Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 19 October 2013 - 16:32

OP, do you mean less that 30cm tall including stand?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.