networking switch

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 23

Posted 20 October 2013 - 17:39

They will be able to tell via the serial number. It's a phone call. You may lose 30 min of your time. It beats paying out for a new switch

#17 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 20 October 2013 - 17:54

What cables are you using CAT4/CAT5/CAT6 straight through/crossover, not all devices are MDI-X compatible?

#18 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 23

Posted 20 October 2013 - 18:07

What cables are you using CAT4/CAT5/CAT6 straight through/crossover, not all devices are MDI-X compatible?

Gigabit is...it is written into the gigabit protocol.

#19 pupdawg21

pupdawg21

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2013 - 18:41

Check the duplex settings of your port on the #7 device that is having issues. Make sure the duplex is set to auto so it accepts whatever the switch tells it, assumming the ports on the switch are also set to auto if they are configurable.

If one or the other side is not set to auto and is set to a specific expected speed and the other side is set to something else, you may experience an issue as you describe.

#20 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 20:36

so that is just a dumb switch, there is no way to set anything on the ports from what I can tell

so do you get lights on your connection - does it come up 10/100 or 1000?

So do other devices connected to this switch have issues?

#21 OP Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 October 2013 - 21:34

so that is just a dumb switch, there is no way to set anything on the ports from what I can tell

so do you get lights on your connection - does it come up 10/100 or 1000?

So do other devices connected to this switch have issues?

On device 7 the only lights that light up is the 100mbit light, and it only pulses every couple seconds, I guess a form of heartbeat pulse or something, but no connection is ever established (the device reports no cable is plugged in). From my testing, any device over 6 is unable to connect to the switch. Device 7 is a laptop, I tried hooking up an 8th device (tablet on a docking station) and it did the same thing, works fine on the router and 5-port but not the 16-port (labeled 25-port in my image), even if I make this 8th device the 7th device instead it still doesn't work.

And it doesn't matter what ports I use. I can plug devices into ports 1 through 6, and anything else in any of the other ports won't work, if I move the first 6 devices to ports 11 through 16 and wait for them to establish a connection, the 7th device still does not pickup a connection no matter which port it is plugged into.

To add to that, if I remove some of the first 6 devices, and plug the currently device 7 or 8 (not shown in the image) in as a replacement to one of the first 6 devices, they still do not work on the 16-port switch. The 6 other devices have no issue at all with the 16-port switch.

#22 koppit

koppit

Techy

Posted 20 October 2013 - 22:28

Check the autonegotiate settings on the workstations - try changing to 100mbit full duplex and see if it gets you connected rather than autonegotiate.

#23 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:23

well as already suggested - call them, those devices are lifetime warranty.. But they are dumb so if having issues there is not much you can do..   But I show that one on sale on newegg for $149 currently..  But again its under lifetime - so maybe they can send you a new one for free.

Its a dumb switch. If you connected any 2 devices they should connected at gig.. And be able to talk to each other..

If your only showing connection at 100mbit -- then either something wrong with the cable, your nic or the switch..  You can swap out the cable and the switch - if your device connects at gig fine with a different switch than yeah it points to this switch as having an issue.

every now and then you do run into hardware that just doesn't like to talk to each other -- but your not using odd ball stuff here.  And I there should be no issues - but if you call them and spend a few minutes on the phone you should be able to get a replacement for free, etc.. even if you don't have your proof of purchase.

do you really need 16 ports?  If not maybe look to getting a smart switch - this gives you ability to troubleshoot issues, hard code ports, etc. etc..  Netgear stuff is normally pretty good.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!