Answered Go to the full post opensuse

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TDT

TDT

Hey yo!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 October 2013 - 21:26

Hi guys. I have a problem with a recent installation of openSUSE 12.3. On certain actions (like changing the clock (!!!!!!!!) ), my password is not recognized. I really don't have any idea why this happens, su works in the terminal and also the password works when launching yast update and some other things...

Anyone with the same problem?!

Best Answer TDT , 22 October 2013 - 18:03

Well, I reinstalled the system today, the 64bit version this time and everything seems to work fine so far. So I guess the thread should be closed. Thank you all for the help! :)

Go to the full post

#2 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 19 October 2013 - 21:29

You most likely need your user's password, not root.

#3 OP TDT

TDT

Hey yo!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 21:33

Yeah, poor thread title, sorry about that. There's only one user, with the same pass as root, so... :)

#4 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 19 October 2013 - 22:46

Do you have any special characters in your password? Perhaps your keyboard layout has changed since you set the root password?

Can you give us some console output as an example (i.e. exactly what commands were you running and what was their output?)

#5 Som

Som

Neowinian

Posted 19 October 2013 - 22:52

is caps lock on? :p

#6 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2013 - 00:30

is caps lock on? :p

LIKE HOW MANY TIMES THAT HAPPENED TO ME.  :| :laugh:

#7 OP TDT

TDT

Hey yo!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 18:55

Do you have any special characters in your password? Perhaps your keyboard layout has changed since you set the root password?

Can you give us some console output as an example (i.e. exactly what commands were you running and what was their output?)

No special characters and the keyboard layout has not changed... 

I tried to install some software and when I was asked about the password, it didn't work. Also, not working when trying to access a Windows NTFS partition (weird enough, accessing the C: partition works with the password). SU works, in terminal. And as I said, i couldn't change the time and the date because of the damn password. I changed the password and it worked, one time. The second time I had the same problem. It's like the damn suse wants me to change the password before every action  :)) I really don't know what's going on...

#8 jaylittle

jaylittle

Neowinian

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:20

Those prompts likely rely upon your user having sudo access which is inherently different than having su access.  Using su requires use of the root password whereas sudo gives you root access by using your own password.  Try using "sudo ls /" from the shell and see how that works for you.  I'm guessing it will fail.  After that you'll need to look up the specific instructions for your distribution in regards to giving yourself sudo access.  Typically you'll need to add your user to a particular group (i.e. wheel) but you can also use a command like visudo to edit the sudo configuration directly if you'd like as well.

#9 OP TDT

TDT

Hey yo!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 13:10

Will do that and get back with a reply, but what I don't understand is how this would happen. I installed the OS just a few days ago, worked like a charm till this thing started happening. Weird...

#10 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 October 2013 - 13:16

If you have the option (as in Debian), your root password should not be the same as your user password. Things get weird after that.

#11 OP TDT

TDT

Hey yo!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 18:03   Best Answer

Well, I reinstalled the system today, the 64bit version this time and everything seems to work fine so far. So I guess the thread should be closed. Thank you all for the help! :)