Upgrading PC hardware on a store bought product

Where online is there a place to help pc users in selecting the right components to upgrade the systems hardware. 

I'm starting to upgrade my pc since recently upgrading from Win 7 to Win 8 pro then to Win 8.1pro the computer has slowed down. I feel that the software has exceeded the hardware for the system. I'd like to begin upgrading the components hardware to alleviate the issue. 

This is the systems pc at hand:  

Product name: hp p2-1033w

I would like to start with the ram and graphics card then later the cpu, hard drive etc.....not sure if it's necessary to change out the power supply at any point. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

post-507813-0-81861200-1382242636.png

Well, looks like you have an APU setup, which means you should have newer stuff. If you are looking just for a CPU upgrade, you have to make sure the motherboard supports it; socket type for example. Is it a mid tower, meaning fairly large? These decisions change on your gaming preferences too, which could mean a power supply too. If your power supply is sufficient, you would probably be better off by replacing the motherboard, CPU, and RAM only. From the looks of it, you just want something a bit faster.

This should get you a pretty speedy box, for about $300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1455393

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

Increase your memory to 8 gigs, and get an SSD.  Those two things will do wonders for your speed, and system. . .Good Luck. . . :D

Increase your memory to 8 gigs, and get an SSD. Those two things will do wonders for your speed, and system. . .Good Luck. . . :D

The E-300 is killing him. 1.3 GHz dual core is slow as dirt.

I ran Windows 8 on an APU E-450, which is a 1.65GHz chip with AMD 6320 Radeon graphics. It honestly wasn't too bad. The system had a regular 5400 rpm drive and 8 gigs of memory. I didn't see the CPU utilization go high under web browsing and video / youtube playback. I didn't do a whole lot of multi-app multitasking however.

I think an SSD and more memory would help in this case. Although with multitasking these chips aren't as good as even dual core Pentium, i3, etc.

Well, looks like you have an APU setup, which means you should have newer stuff. If you are looking just for a CPU upgrade, you have to make sure the motherboard supports it; socket type for example. Is it a mid tower, meaning fairly large? These decisions change on your gaming preferences too, which could mean a power supply too. If your power supply is sufficient, you would probably be better off by replacing the motherboard, CPU, and RAM only. From the looks of it, you just want something a bit faster.

This should get you a pretty speedy box, for about $300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1455393

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

It's a Mini-tower with a power supply of 65 wattage total. See link for detail information on product. 

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5151858&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03052631-11%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Increase your memory to 8 gigs, and get an SSD.  Those two things will do wonders for your speed, and system. . .Good Luck. . . :D

Great, that's a start now I'd like to go into more detail on that. What's your recommendations on the type of ram and ssd for this type of machine and feel free to include links. 

I ran Windows 8 on an APU E-450, which is a 1.65GHz chip with AMD 6320 Radeon graphics. It honestly wasn't too bad. The system had a regular 5400 rpm drive and 8 gigs of memory. I didn't see the CPU utilization go high under web browsing and video / youtube playback. I didn't do a whole lot of multi-app multitasking however.

I think an SSD and more memory would help in this case. Although with multitasking these chips aren't as good as even dual core Pentium, i3, etc.

I see you agree with Pam14160 however the chips give you pause, okay I'll bite....why.  

Going back on the issue of slow performance I'd notice that since after the updates the cpu and ram randomly spike high. 90 - 100 % cpu usage and 60 - 70% ram usage and at times not running anything huge. Just fyi....... 

With a machine like this i would only bother spending the money for an ssd like the samsung 120gb 840 evo. Maybe swap out that 1gb ram stick for a 2gb one. Don't bother spending money on anything else, save up for a real complete replacement (new or second hand).

You might be able to get some performance back by cleaning out some crud in windows using something like ccleaner. Temp files and old prefetch data can make a bit of difference if it builds up. However as you have such a 'new' OS i doubt much has built up if at all.

Another thing that can help is making sure all your drivers are up to date and will work with the version of windows you are using.

As for the system spikes are you running antivirus? try disabling it and see if they stop. It may not play nice with windows until it is updated.

On the flip side do a full system scan with a updated antivirus and see if it catches anything.

With a machine like this i would only bother spending the money for an ssd like the samsung 120gb 840 evo. Maybe swap out that 1gb ram stick for a 2gb one. Don't bother spending money on anything else, save up for a real complete replacement (new or second hand).

You might be able to get some performance back by cleaning out some crud in windows using something like ccleaner. Temp files and old prefetch data can make a bit of difference if it builds up. However as you have such a 'new' OS i doubt much has built up if at all.

Another thing that can help is making sure all your drivers are up to date and will work with the version of windows you are using.

As for the system spikes are you running antivirus? try disabling it and see if they stop. It may not play nice with windows until it is updated.

On the flip side do a full system scan with a updated antivirus and see if it catches anything.

It seems to be unanimous on the upgrade of the ssd and memory and thanks on the type of ssd that is a big time help. I use ccleaner, driver booster, windows defender, ASC and trend micro. I feel it's very well covered but I've had all those software running even before 8.1 and never had issues.