Poll: Windows 8.1 Experience (How do you like it?)

Compatibility: 2. GPU drivers were a mess and there was no solution where everything worked for my hardware. I had expected Windows 7 GPU drivers to work without issue, they didn't.

I had similar issues.  The Intel Graphics driver on my Vivotab Smart keeps crashing, especially after returning from sleep.  I Googled around a bit and it looks like graphics support is a pretty common problem on 8.1.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty so-so. All of my installations had gotchas.

• My Home desktop would black screen and cut off initially. It resolved itself after I did chkdsk or just on its own.
  • My laptop wouldn't upgrade because of Truecrypt, but the Installer wasn't smart enough to know that and would revert after the initial reboot.
  • My Work desktop had the same Truecrypt issues, failed to decrypt, and required a complete reinstall after that.

In general I also had issues even getting the upgrades to install or register:

• For my Home PC and Laptop, my 8.0 keys wouldn't work with the released ISOs for 8.1 so I had to hunt for an illegally blocked key to do the upgrade THEN switch back to my legal keys for registering those machines (note: this was a bit before they had the in store upgrade, so that is why I didn't go that path for upgrades).
  • My work PC enterprise 8.0 key would also not work for registering enterprise 8.1 so I had to go get the updated key from IT.
  • Finally, when I got a new laptop a few weeks ago and tried to install 8.0 pro, I couldn't because the disc checks the SLP table and refuses to install on systems with a lower-end 8.0 key in the table. I didn't even bother to try an 8.1 ISO because I figured that would fail also. We won't even mention how I actually got Win8.1 on my new laptop after that debacle. 
  • The whole process is simply a huge pain in the ass for what was suppose to be basically a service pack type update. MS really did a a poor job of it for anyone who had to do anything other than click the in store update.

In terms of actual issues, there are a number I've had so far:

• Windows 8.1 Start Search is very laggy by default because it doesn't index certain folders. This is a persistent issue on every install of 8.1 I have.
  • My work PC is randomly black-screened when I come into work (I can still remotely access it, so it isn't dead).
  • My work PC will randomly black-screen on boot -- again the same visual issue as stated above. Interestingly, the issue resolved itself temporarily when I switched the order of which device was hooked to which sata part (I find it rather hard to believe that it was anything but a fluke though). Unfortunately it came back when I installed a new PSU and I've been unable to resolve it (or care enough to resolve it ...) at this point or ever basically.

3, 4, 1.

3 - for the fact they made graphics drivers "important updates" and installed bad drivers from nVidia my GTX 560. nVidia has problems with drivers for their 5 and 6 series cards, and I can't believe Windows isn't asking instead of installing.

4 - for continuing to re-install said drivers after I removed them and installed the latest drivers I can use without errors. It also installed the nVidia "update service" and "3d Vision", neither are necessary or wanted.

1 - Lowest score I could give need a Back to 7 option, the same problems still plague the OS, it's still a last ditch effort to solve a Microsoft problem and not a customer problem. Microsoft wants the "same experience across all devices" but no one uses them the same do they? I don't want my desktop with a 27" monitor to act like my tablet or phone, or the other way around. The "start button" should just open the Store since that's it only real purpose now.

5 - install was really fast, i did a clean install from a USB stick to a SSD.

4 - great support for devices, but the default installation of the full nVidia drivers is not so great. i must disable the updates and the auto driver installation in the configure screen (ar the first boot of the os).

3 - it is not that far from windows 8.... i tend not to use metro, the start button is useful as i have it set to show the "all programs".

overall I am neutral to windows 8.1, but i guess things will improve gradually. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Installation: 5/5     - I used a USB stick to install, from the moment the files were copied until I could personalize it it took 3.4mins

Compatibility: 5/5  - I just put the PC together, but all the parts worked fine. No issues

Features: 5/5        - I've only been using Win8.1 for a week, but so far so good. Bought Start8, after that it was perfect

(in hindsight, should have given this 4/5, as I ended up buying the Start 8. The built in Start button is useless to me)

No issues here except for having to listen to mouth-breathers complain about it every other day. 

I went from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8.1 Pro, so I have no idea what features 8.1 has over 8, other than a Start button which had me sold.

The Start button is all I wanted back really, don't care to much about there being either a Start menu or Start screen.

Although I do find it takes wayyy longer to find my programs on the Start screen than with the Windows 7 menu.

The All Apps screen is a complete mess, but I spend time removing programs un-needed shortcuts to clean it up somewhat. Didn't need to do that on Win 7.

All in all I do like Win 8.1, very fast, restarts in like 10 seconds for me, including logging in, so way faster than Win 7.

Installation went very well, and was super fast. Wasn't really a clean install over Win 7 though (no reformat), although I selected to not keep anything.

Installation: 5/5

Had no problems at all with the install. Went from Windows 8 Pro with Media Center to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. Download and install did not take much time at all.

Compatibility: 5/5

So far I have not had any compatibility problems with any games or app's. Nor have I had to run anything in compatibility mode. Very happy with it so far.

Features: 4/5

Really the only thing I do not like is the addition of the Start Menu. I was hoping that would stay gone. But it was not ment to be I guess. It is the one thing I just never used on Windows 7 and was really happy when it was removed on Windows 8. But other than that I have no problems. At least Windows 8.1 kept the most important thigs that for me made Windows 8 a winner fast boot up fast shutdown faster loading of games and app's all in all I could not more pleased with it. It seems to just make all of my hardware run better.

Installation - 4/5  Nothing really serious stood out, it installed fairly decently over the existing Windows 8.

Compatability - 3/5  Here's where problems began to crop up.  After Windows 8.1 was installed and updated, three graphics programs broke completely (Poser, Carrera, Corel PaintShop Photo Pro) along with a couple of utilities I use regularly.  Most required updates, two required new versions completely (and had to pay for the new versions).  These packages all worked under Windows 7 and Windows 8 without issues, so the problem was within Windows 8.1.

Features - 3/5  MetroMix and Classic Shell were re-installed after the update to Windows 8.1, I never, EVER want to see the Start Screen.  All of the features under the hood (USB 3.0 support, better networking) are countered by the abomination known as the Start Screen.  And since I'm not interested in anything that the Microsoft App Store might offer, it just means I have my system set up the way I want it to be, functional and not crippled.

• 1 month later...

Installation: 5/5 - installation process is very fast and there is no problem .. I'm using a USB

Compatibility: 3/5 - there are some programs that do not run properly

Features: 5/5 - windows 8.1 works faster boot time and shutdown..I think the hardware is working optimally and all the process was much faster than previous versions of Windows

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Works for me. I never understood all the hype about the start. Now we got that hybrid start in 10. But fortunately I can toggle to the 8.1 start there.

• 4 weeks later...

8.1 is an OK system, but 10 will be better. I hope they will leave the start screen toggle in 10 RTM because the full screen is a lot better than the start menu.

• 3 weeks later...

The only reason why I gave the compatibility a "3" is because NVidia is having issues with the 460 and 560ti series of graphics cards.

Rather odd - I have a 550Ti (just below the 560Ti), and have never had so much as one issue with the current WHQL Forceware drivers - either then-current or current (347.09) - which I run on both desktop AND server sides of Windows.  Are you overclocking your GPU?  (That is one thing I'm not doing - primarily because I DO run three OSes, and I won't risk overclockage breaking things in any of the three.)

One thing we keep forgetting is that any sort of hardware overclocking does introduce instability issues.

3 out of 5 on 2 of the items and 5 out of 5 on campatibility.

It's just an OS! Nothing to be blown away by!

FWIW though,

Don't really care for this or Windows 10.

• Steven P. unpinned this topic