Photo

Poll: Windows 8.1 Experience (How do you like it?)

win8.1

42 replies to this topic

Poll: Did Microsoft do gooder?

How was installation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How is compatibility?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

The features (is it better than Windows 8?)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 November 2013 - 13:43

3, 4, 1.

3 - for the fact they made graphics drivers "important updates" and installed bad drivers from nVidia my GTX 560. nVidia has problems with drivers for their 5 and 6 series cards, and I can't believe Windows isn't asking instead of installing.

4 - for continuing to re-install said drivers after I removed them and installed the latest drivers I can use without errors. It also installed the nVidia "update service" and "3d Vision", neither are necessary or wanted.

1 - Lowest score I could give need a Back to 7 option, the same problems still plague the OS, it's still a last ditch effort to solve a Microsoft problem and not a customer problem. Microsoft wants the "same experience across all devices" but no one uses them the same do they? I don't want my desktop with a 27" monitor to act like my tablet or phone, or the other way around. The "start button" should just open the Store since that's it only real purpose now.

#32 RvXtm

RvXtm

Tech Pro

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 December 2013 - 23:11

5 - install was really fast, i did a clean install from a USB stick to a SSD.

4 - great support for devices, but the default installation of the full nVidia drivers is not so great. i must disable the updates and the auto driver installation in the configure screen (ar the first boot of the os).

3 - it is not that far from windows 8.... i tend not to use metro, the start button is useful as i have it set to show the "all programs".

overall I am neutral to windows 8.1, but i guess things will improve gradually. 

#33 Som

Som

Neowinian

Posted 09 January 2014 - 15:12

I've gone back a windows 7& I honestly can't think of anything i'm missing out on... still don't think windows 8 or 8.1 is anyway near finished

#34 +Odom

Odom

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 January 2014 - 14:43

Installation: 5/5     - I used a USB stick to install, from the moment the files were copied until I could personalize it it took 3.4mins

Compatibility: 5/5  - I just put the PC together, but all the parts worked fine. No issues

Features: 5/5        - I've only been using Win8.1 for a week, but so far so good. Bought Start8, after that it was perfect

(in hindsight, should have given this 4/5, as I ended up buying the Start 8. The built in Start button is useless to me)

Edited by Odom, 21 January 2014 - 14:44.

#35 tytytucke

tytytucke

Neowinian

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:21

I hate the update integrated everywhere search! Now it takes even longer to search and find things...

#36 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:46

No issues here except for having to listen to mouth-breathers complain about it every other day. 

#37 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 26 January 2014 - 17:11

I went from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8.1 Pro, so I have no idea what features 8.1 has over 8, other than a Start button which had me sold.

The Start button is all I wanted back really, don't care to much about there being either a Start menu or Start screen.

Although I do find it takes wayyy longer to find my programs on the Start screen than with the Windows 7 menu.

The All Apps screen is a complete mess, but I spend time removing programs un-needed shortcuts to clean it up somewhat. Didn't need to do that on Win 7.

All in all I do like Win 8.1, very fast, restarts in like 10 seconds for me, including logging in, so way faster than Win 7.

Installation went very well, and was super fast. Wasn't really a clean install over Win 7 though (no reformat), although I selected to not keep anything.

#38 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 26 January 2014 - 17:14

I hate the update integrated everywhere search! Now it takes even longer to search and find things...

Win-S = Search everything
Win-F = Search files
Win-W = Search settings

#39 bryonhowley

bryonhowley

Neowinian

Posted 26 January 2014 - 17:19

Installation: 5/5

Had no problems at all with the install. Went from Windows 8 Pro with Media Center to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. Download and install did not take much time at all.

Compatibility: 5/5

So far I have not had any compatibility problems with any games or app's. Nor have I had to run anything in compatibility mode. Very happy with it so far.

Features: 4/5

Really the only thing I do not like is the addition of the Start Menu. I was hoping that would stay gone. But it was not ment to be I guess. It is the one thing I just never used on Windows 7 and was really happy when it was removed on Windows 8. But other than that I have no problems. At least Windows 8.1 kept the most important thigs that for me made Windows 8 a winner fast boot up fast shutdown faster loading of games and app's all in all I could not more pleased with it. It seems to just make all of my hardware run better.

#40 Tal Greywolf

Tal Greywolf

Neowinian

Posted 26 January 2014 - 17:37

Installation - 4/5  Nothing really serious stood out, it installed fairly decently over the existing Windows 8.

Compatability - 3/5  Here's where problems began to crop up.  After Windows 8.1 was installed and updated, three graphics programs broke completely (Poser, Carrera, Corel PaintShop Photo Pro) along with a couple of utilities I use regularly.  Most required updates, two required new versions completely (and had to pay for the new versions).  These packages all worked under Windows 7 and Windows 8 without issues, so the problem was within Windows 8.1.

Features - 3/5  MetroMix and Classic Shell were re-installed after the update to Windows 8.1, I never, EVER want to see the Start Screen.  All of the features under the hood (USB 3.0 support, better networking) are countered by the abomination known as the Start Screen.  And since I'm not interested in anything that the Microsoft App Store might offer, it just means I have my system set up the way I want it to be, functional and not crippled.

#41 jiraisen

jiraisen

Neowinian

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:56

Installation: 5/5 - installation process is very fast and there is no problem .. I'm using a USB

Compatibility: 3/5 - there are some programs that do not run properly

Features: 5/5 - windows 8.1 works faster boot time and shutdown..I think the hardware is working optimally and all the process was much faster than previous versions of Windows

#42 Rohit Falor

Rohit Falor

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:41

I installed the Windows 8.1 Preview, and the installation process went smoothly for me!

#43 alistair7682

alistair7682

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:09

not bad. theres a start button, and the shutdown button is easier to find