This is what it costs to fix a broken Nintendo 2DS screen

HM7NY3b.jpg

The Nintendo 2DS is a sturdy little piece of machinery. It eschews the gossamer hinges of its stereoscopic predecessor, and in their place vaunts a strong, unified, monolithic frame. Though abandoning the clamshell design makes the tartine-esque portable far less prone to snapping in two, the change has invited a whole new array of potential concerns. 

Such a catastrophe befell a member of the Destructoid family this week when a young girl dropped her system down a flight of concrete stairs, resulting in a shattered screen. Though the device's warranty doesn't cover physical damage, upon inquiry Nintendo of America offered to repair the system for $65 plus an additional shipping and handling fee, which varies by location.

Folks looking to avoid similar misfortune might do well to invest in a protective carrying case or repurpose a Wii remote wrist strap to keep your shiny new Nintendo 2DS safe and well out of harm's way.

Wait is this being angled as good or bad? $65 seems pretty reasonable for an official Nintendo screen replacement. Sure you could pay less by going through a third party, but that is also true of almost anything.

• Like 3

Those parents could have saved themselves some money if they would have simply taught their kid to take care of her stuff.

Yeah, because accidents never happen. I am sure you've never dropped oand broken anything.

Wait is this being angled as good or bad? $65 seems pretty reasonable for an official Nintendo screen replacement. 

I guess that is up to the reader. $65 doesn't seem too bad to me. 

• Like 2

Yeah, because accidents never happen. I am sure you've never dropped oand broken anything.

I haven't. Various handhelds all the way back to my gameboy pocket 16-17 years ago, mp3 players, cell phones, and other electronic devices over the years... All of them were properly taken care of and not broken at all.

To break a device that's barely a week old.. it's painfully obvious that kid wasn't taught to care for their belongings.

Congratulations. Not only are you superior to a clumsy young girl, you also used this topic to share your extensive views on child rearing. Quite an accomplishment.

Those parents could have saved themselves some money if they would have simply taught their kid to take care of her stuff.

Yes, because you can teach kids to not have accidents, after all you never see responsible adults sending their phones in for repair, ever.... 

It's called an accident for a reason, it doesn't happen all the time it doesn't happen to everyone, just because it hasn't happened to you yet, doesn't make you any more or less responsible than her. 

I haven't. Various handhelds all the way back to my gameboy pocket 16-17 years ago, mp3 players, cell phones, and other electronic devices over the years... All of them were properly taken care of and not broken at all.

To break a device that's barely a week old.. it's painfully obvious that kid wasn't taught to care for their belongings.

Yeh, cause you were the perfect child? And can I just say your powers of deduction would make Sherlock Holmes jealous.

Quite how its "painfully obvious" is beyond me, it says "dropped", not "thrown", class act judging the character of a child on what is clearly an accident.

Oh boy, so much defense. I guess we all should just let kids break their things within a week and then replace/fix it for them then, right? That'll teach them well...

Oh boy, so much defense. I guess we all should just let kids break their things within a week and then replace/fix it for them then, right? That'll teach them well...

Who the hell said anything like that. you're the only one taking things to extremes here, claiming things are only broken on purpose by saying it wasn't a simple accident and now making stupid claims like that because we say accidents happen. 

No, If I had a kid with a DS and he/she broke it, they would very well have to be without one until they have the funds to pay for at least part of the repair. 

It sounds like you're assuming that the girl and/or parent is irresponsible because of the length of time the girl owned the device before the accident happened. It's possible you are right and the girl doesn't care about her belongings, but I don't think it's fair to assume irresponsibility because she only had it for a week. I had a friend who was very careful with his portable devices but he slipped and fell and cracked his new phone that was less than a week old. The phone was in his pocket. Accidents happen at any time, no matter how careful we might be. Also kids are clumsy creatures!

• 1 year later...

Its not the girls fault, that this happened

The 2ds is a portable piece of ######, if the parents has bought a 3ds, the 3ds maybe survived this accident, because you can close him while carrying.