uk nuclear power

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 18:40

Queue comparisons to ancient, obsolete reactors like Chernobyl and Fukishima (built along a fault line) by the antinuclear fearmongers in an attempt to stop this.

It's like saying all automobile production should be stopped because the 1971 Ford Pinto was so defective.

#17 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,551 posts

Woah. I have a friend here who's worked at a local nuclear plant for the past ~30 years or so (afaik) and he told me he's going to be in the UK for a while soon to help out with this project. Very cool to see it on here and BBC.

#18 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,871 posts

wheres all the cold fusion reactors, plow money into that tech and it might got along alot quicker

#19 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,398 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 21 October 2013 - 18:44

If the entire nation banded together and simply refused to lie down and accept this, so many changes could be made.

And there lies the issue with our country. The general public are obviously mad, but they can't be arsed to take action to try and stop it. It always comes down to a small group of dedicated activists to lead protests, and they usually get ignored by the media (especially the BBC) unless violence breaks out.

#20 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,536 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 18:56

That's ridiculous.

I'm sorry, I fail to see how, I'm not trying to start anything here, and ok I cannot find a source for my statement. But someone was bold enough to go on the record to say something, I can accept you may only have my word for it, and it may not hold any value as far as you're concerned.
The key point of the statement i remembered was something to do with the voltage used making them inefficient.

(Just like I remember ex Chanceller Norman Lamont admitting the revenue collected from cigarettes back in the 80's was funding over 60% of the NHS)

Just to make a clear stance, I don't have a problem with it per se, I just don't know enough about nuclear power plants to make a stance one way or the other, I was just hoping someone else might remember the story, and offer a sounding board to weigh up pros vs cons etc...

#21 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,398 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 21 October 2013 - 19:04

Oh, turns out there's a bit of irony from the Lib Dems as well from this deal. Ed Davey had this press release on his website from 2006...

1393722_658382387535011_1355234557_n.jpg

It's now suddenly disappeared after being pointed out by Another Angry Voice.

#22 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,695 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 19:06

wasn't there an episode on doctor who about this?

#23 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

• 2,230 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 19:10

Let's hope Brussels veto's this. Bad deal for the consumer.

#24 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• 687 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 19:12

I saw an interesting article from the Telegraph about how Germany's green push was damaging their industrial base because their fuel bills were so high. I was gonna link it in but I can't find it now :/ I like the ideas on renewables but they aren't a perfect solution,

This?

Also the Brits really screwed up over the last  years. To go from being a world leader in nuclear (and other industries) only to see their large leads completely evaporate to the point that they need French and Chinese help to build new reactors is indicative of how Britain has been blessed with far too many incompetent governments. 

#25 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 19:19

This?

Also the Brits really screwed up over the last  years. To go from being a world leader in nuclear (and other industries) only to see their large leads completely evaporate to the point that they need French and Chinese help to build new reactors is indicative of how Britain has been blessed with far too many incompetent governments. 

Huh? None of the UK energy companies wanted to construct a new nuclear reactor, hence EDF.

#26 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• 687 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 19:35

Huh? None of the UK energy companies wanted to construct a new nuclear reactor, hence EDF.

Sorta my point; no British company wanted to/was able to build new nuclear reactors. From having the first civilian reactor in the world to no capability or will to build a new one is a bit sad imo.

#27 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 21 October 2013 - 19:39

Sorta my point; no British company wanted to/was able to build new nuclear reactors. From having the first civilian reactor in the world to no capability or will to build a new one is a bit sad imo.

We've gone from World Leaders in a tonne of areas to trailing behind, we're used to it.

#28 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,849 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 19:51

I'm sorry, I fail to see how, I'm not trying to start anything here, and ok I cannot find a source for my statement. But someone was bold enough to go on the record to say something, I can accept you may only have my word for it, and it may not hold any value as far as you're concerned.
The key point of the statement i remembered was something to do with the voltage used making them inefficient.

(Just like I remember ex Chanceller Norman Lamont admitting the revenue collected from cigarettes back in the 80's was funding over 60% of the NHS)

Just to make a clear stance, I don't have a problem with it per se, I just don't know enough about nuclear power plants to make a stance one way or the other, I was just hoping someone else might remember the story, and offer a sounding board to weigh up pros vs cons etc...

the voltage output of the plant is meaningless for efficiency... In the end they all go through a steam turbine, which would be pretty much the same steam turbine a gas or coal fired plant would use.. That turbine being basically just a big fan blade propelled by steam created by fire in the gas / coal plans or heat from a nuclear reaction in this case stores the same amount of energy. So in the end, the turbine is no more or no less efficient. Now you might design the turbine blades differently to get different output ratios, but you could do that for any plant.

#29 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• 687 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 19:52

We've gone from World Leaders in a tonne of areas to trailing behind, we're used to it.

Well you're still world leaders/among the best in several areas, though none of them really seem to be industry/engineering-heavy fields. 

#30 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 19:57

Hah what? Of course they're capable of building it. The UK is on the leading edge of nuclear power.

If it doesn't make good business for them they're not going to invest. 

I take it you're one of those 'oh Britain doesn't make anything anymore" sort?

Well you're still world leaders/among the best in several areas, though none of them really seem to be industry/engineering-heavy fields. 

Hah what? Surely you're not serious with regards to industry?