IE11 cannot access websites if "Enhanced Protected Mode" is enabled

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro (32-bit) and I noticed that while "Enhanced Protected Mode" is enabled, IE11 can only access the bing.com website. Is this a problem on my end or is it a known issue?

For the former, could it be caused by avast or Microsoft's own EMET utility? And if the latter, why enable a feature (by default) that breaks the browser?

I haven't had this issue, but I have found IE11 to be rather buggy. Takes like 5 minutes for it to login to gmail...

Do you have any add ons or extensions enabled? Some extensions, such as APB are buggy with enhanced protected mode.

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro (32-bit) and I noticed that while "Enhanced Protected Mode" is enabled, IE11 can only access the bing.com website. Is this a problem on my end or is it a known issue?

I think that's just some sad, sad irony.

I just installed Windows 8.1 Pro on my other computer and IE11 seems to work fine. Furthermore I think I can rule out avast and EMET as possible causes.

I'll try doing a reset but other than that I don't have any ideas on a probable cause.

I think I read somewhere that IE runs by default in 64bit (in a 64bit OS), the tabs run in 32bit, if you turn on Enhanced protected mode, the tabs will run in 64bit, not sure if that could be a problem.

I've found at work that sometimes IE 11 would not open some websites without Enhanced protected mode... dunno why.

just use other browser if some sites aren't working with IE11,

wait until MSFT issued "Cummulative updates/patches" for IE11, and only after installing that you should try IE11 again.

Yeah, I gave up on IE11 early on. I had hoped the APB freezing issues would be the only issues I had with it, but even with no extra addons or plugins installed its quite buggy. I had it crash for no reason just searching bing earlier.

I think I have found the cause: the DNS Client service needs to be running. I initially disabled it since I was using a custom HOSTS file but I am guessing that the "Enhanced Protected Mode" depends on it.