Answered Go to the full post win8.1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 21 October 2013 - 16:53

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro (32-bit) and I noticed that while "Enhanced Protected Mode" is enabled, IE11 can only access the bing.com website. Is this a problem on my end or is it a known issue?

For the former, could it be caused by avast or Microsoft's own EMET utility? And if the latter, why enable a feature (by default) that breaks the browser?

Best Answer i_was_here , 25 October 2013 - 04:28

I think I have found the cause: the DNS Client service needs to be running. I initially disabled it since I was using a custom HOSTS file but I am guessing that the "Enhanced Protected Mode" depends on it.

Go to the full post

#2 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 21 October 2013 - 16:54

Can you give some examples? I haven't had any issues other than sites that try to use Silverlight. They prompt with a security warning.

#3 OP i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 October 2013 - 17:03

Here is an example using the default homepage. Enhanced Protected Mode disabled:

epm_disabled.png

versus enabled:

epm_enabled.png

#4 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 October 2013 - 17:13

I haven't had this issue, but I have found IE11 to be rather buggy. Takes like 5 minutes for it to login to gmail...

Do you have any add ons or extensions enabled? Some extensions, such as APB are buggy with enhanced protected mode.

#5 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 October 2013 - 17:56

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro (32-bit) and I noticed that while "Enhanced Protected Mode" is enabled, IE11 can only access the bing.com website. Is this a problem on my end or is it a known issue?

I think that's just some sad, sad irony.

#6 OP i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:41

I just installed Windows 8.1 Pro on my other computer and IE11 seems to work fine. Furthermore I think I can rule out avast and EMET as possible causes.

I'll try doing a reset but other than that I don't have any ideas on a probable cause.

#7 shadowgmo

shadowgmo

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:58

I think I read somewhere that IE runs by default in 64bit (in a 64bit OS), the tabs run in 32bit, if you turn on Enhanced protected mode, the tabs will run in 64bit, not sure if that could be a problem.

I've found at work that sometimes IE 11 would not open some websites without Enhanced protected mode... dunno why.

#8 OP i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:15

I think I read something similar however I installed 32-bit Windows.

#9 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:16

just use other browser if some sites aren't working with IE11,

wait until MSFT issued "Cummulative updates/patches" for IE11, and only after installing that you should try IE11 again.

#10 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 22 October 2013 - 18:02

The problem is that IE11 comes with 8.1 but thanks for the "help".

#11 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 19:32

Yeah, I gave up on IE11 early on. I had hoped the APB freezing issues would be the only issues I had with it, but even with no extra addons or plugins installed its quite buggy. I had it crash for no reason just searching bing earlier.

#12 OP i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:28   Best Answer

I think I have found the cause: the DNS Client service needs to be running. I initially disabled it since I was using a custom HOSTS file but I am guessing that the "Enhanced Protected Mode" depends on it.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!