random floppy activity

my floppy used to be nice and silent..

but occasionally now under XP, my floppy does some buzzing (random floppy accessing I guess) when I have not asked it to, and don't even have a disk in the drive.

I think this behavior started at some point later after already having XP installed.. that is I had xp installed for some time, and it wasn't doing this.. I'm not 100% on that though.. and I certainly have no idea what could have changed..

I have also started getting more floppy noise at boot than I used to.... one thing I DO recall from win 9x was an option in the system control panel I think, to tell the system NOT to check for a new floppy drive at boot..

that option appears to be gone.. or am I wrong? any other options associated with this that might help me out..

thanks in advance,

-Ethan

oooo good idea. I'll give it a try..

of course I welcome all other feedback in case this doesn't fix it.. It will take me a couple days of course to determine if this actually makes the behavior stop for good, but I'll post back a msg when I determine if this truly solved the problem or not..

Furthermore.. I realize this is a good setting, and there are probably other settings that I should change. I remember stumbling across somebody's XP recommended settings FAQ type thing, and I forgot to bookmark it. I would really like to get back to that page, or something similar if anybody knows what I am talking about. It was a list of sorts that has the PRO's XP settings of choice after clean install etc.. If anybody know of anything like this.. (Perhaps the exact same one I stumbled by earlier.) I would be appreciative if you would post the link.. The one I saw a while ago was from some guy that was formatting and reinstalling for the 4th or so time, and decided this time around he would document all the settings of choice so that others could see what he chose and why.

thanks

-ethan

I've had this problem since '95 on my last machine but just took no notice. If it fixes it, post back to let me know to try that as well.