• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:42

I get that the size is big, even for me, I'd like a 5" at this point.  But you know, if looking silly is the issue you can just go handsfree and use a Bluetooth handset with it.  The advantage of the bigger screen is in other things, videos, reading, gaming etc.  

While it does look ridiculous the main issue is that the size is just impracticable. Doesnt fit easily in pocket, is a pain to carry round, etc. I mean this thing weighs more than the 920 and that was already too heavy for a lot of people.

#32 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:57

Screen looks very impressive

lumia25201_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

#33 OP George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:18

Screen looks very impressive

lumia25201_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

I agree, the screen is very bright which is one thing they brought up when talking about it.  Should be interesting to compare it to other displays.  It's also thinner than a Surface 2 it looks like but I don't know about weight wise at this point.  Also have to see how the Snapdragon 800 matches up with the Tegra 4.

#34 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:21

Greater pixel density for text rending without looking ridiculous holding a phablet to his ear would be my guess.

yeah, but 1080 pixel density is useless on a 4.5 inch device, it's barey necessary for no visible pixels on a 6 inch device(which I agree is ridiculous)

#35 OP George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:23

We all know one size doesn't fit all, there will be people who want 6" and others who want smaller.  No reason not to have a Lumia device for them if they can do it.   I'm expecting a 5" device at some point as well.

#36 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:43

yeah, but 1080 pixel density is useless on a 4.5 inch device, it's barey necessary for no visible pixels on a 6 inch device(which I agree is ridiculous)

Comparing a Nexus 4 with a Galaxy S4, the S4 does look crisper, but I agree that 1080p on a device that small is starting to veer a little into the realm of diminishing returns. Also, the S4 screen on full brightness was significantly duller than the N4 which IMO is a fairly significant compromise.

1080p on a viewfinder however - that would be much appreciated. 

#37 OP George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:02

Nokia will be adding RAW support to the 1520 and the 1020 it seems.

http://www.theverge....era-and-refocus

#38 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:10

Nokia will be adding RAW support to the 1520 and the 1020 it seems.

http://www.theverge....era-and-refocus

That with pro cam, refocus and all the other goodies. Nokia are owning with their cameras.

#39 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:20

I agree, the screen is very bright which is one thing they brought up when talking about it.  Should be interesting to compare it to other displays.  It's also thinner than a Surface 2 it looks like but I don't know about weight wise at this point.  Also have to see how the Snapdragon 800 matches up with the Tegra 4.

its the same thickness as the surface 2. 8.9mm. weight is 615g compared to 676g on surface 2, but then again, surface 2 has a bigger screen, 10.6" vs 10.1" on the nokia.

#40 OP George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 15:22

The 2520 will be on AT&T and Verizon. http://www.nokia.com...blet/lumia2520/

#41 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 22 October 2013 - 15:40

Facepalm, the Nokia 2520 is not priced right just like the Surface 2. I would think Microsoft would have learned that the price of the surface wasn't right thus resulted in poor sales. Microsoft will now not only have 1 tablet that could bring bad sales, but now two. Price is everything, the Surface 2 and the Lumia 2520 are exceptional tablets, but not the price. The Lumia 2520 should be $250 and the Surface should be $299. If a wrote off $900,000,000 isn't going to teach Microsoft that the Surface RT price wasn't right, nothing will. History will probably repeat itself with the Surface 2.

#42 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 15:42

Why should a powerful Windows tablet be priced at low end android tablet prices? You're not making sense.

Also MS doesn't decide the prices of Nokias products, not yet anyway. And what's your logic for making the Lumia cheaper the the surface?

#43 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Posted 22 October 2013 - 15:50

Why should a powerful Windows tablet be priced at low end android tablet prices? You're not making sense.

I am making perfect  sense. In case you forgot, Microsoft wrote off $900 million dollars for the surface tablets because the price was most likely too high. Windows RT is not as robust as the full Windows 8/Pro version that can run full desktop programs. The price is the culprit, Microsoft  should give in and drastically cut the price instead of being stubborn causing enormous sales write off. Its pure buffoonery not to cut the price of the surface rt (2) tablet.

#44 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 16:03

No your still not making sense, you can't sell a product for under cost. And it's competing with the iPad not cheap android devices.

#45 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Posted 22 October 2013 - 16:15

No your still not making sense, you can't sell a product for under cost. And it's competing with the iPad not cheap android devices.

Again, I'm making clear and perfect  sense. First off, a lot of android tablets I have see are pretty high in quality. Second, Microsoft is going to have to cut the price of the surface 2 tablet to increase the sales. $250 is the sweet spot for consumers, not $499 or $399. Its common sense, if your product isn't doing well, you should cut the price to attract more buyers. Its not common sense to keep the price the same if your product is not doing well.