Apple October Special Event discussion

29 members have voted

1. 1. What do you expect to see during the Apple Special Event keynote?

• iPad 5
    • iPad Mini 2
    • iOS 7.1
    • iWork update for iOS
    • iLife update for iOS
    • Macbook Pro Haswell refresh
    • Mac Pro
    • OS X 10.9 Mavericks release
    • iWork update for OS X
    • iLife update for OS X
    • iWatch
    • iPod updates
    • One more thing (specify below)

1310oihboiuedfhbvohbt_pre.jpg

The next Apple event is upon us. What can we expect to see today?

Personally I think it'll be just new iPads/iPods, a MBP refresh, OS X 10.9 release. Small chance for a Mac Pro release. 

Post your thoughts and discuss the keynote here.

Oh also: The event will be livestreamed via http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/; Safari 4.x or higher on OS X or iOS or an AppleTV required.

New iPads (mini and large), OSX release, hopefully some changes to iWork / iLife and some other improved and/or new software.. the new mac pro and an empty wallet.

Definitely iPad's.. I just pray that the Mini has Retina!! 

I think we will see something iLife related as well as the new macbooks/pro.  Definitely get a release date on Mavericks

Wow, did they really RAISE the price of the iPad mini?! :laugh:

They lowered the price of the old iPad mini. The retina iPad mini is more expensive than the previous model.

They lowered the price of the old iPad mini. The retina iPad mini is more expensive than the previous model.

Exactly, they raised the price of the iPad mini. All the other retina upgrades have been introduced as the new model replacing the last, at the same price as the last (iPad and iPhone, not Mac). This time, they introduced it as a new model so they could raise the price. And the year old model got an incredibly small price drop.

I was very disappointed with that AJ..  I have the iPad 2 and the iPad Mini now and wanted to upgrade to the iPad Mini 2 as long as it got the retina, but now I am almost considering getting the full size for $499 since its only $100 more. 

The price hike on the iPad mini 2 not only about screen size though. Remember. The iPad Mini had the iPad 2 internals, so slower processor, ram, etc and the non retina 7 inch screen.. Now its getting the same internals as the new iPad "air" Same camera, processor and retina screen, only in a small screen.  It kinda makes sense. 

Was iWorks released for free for all users or just folks who buy new Macs?

Edit: Never mind.  I see it is new Macs only.  Rats.  I was hoping to get it for free.  Would like it, but I NEED MS Office on my Mac, I only want iWorks.

To my understanding, its Free for all new purchases. Of course anyone who owns it already gets free updates to the newest versions. I assume if you don't already own it, you might have to buy it? But i don't know how thats going to work.

If you have an apple id and can log into the Mac App Store and search for pages, see what happens.

To my understanding, its Free for all new purchases. Of course anyone who owns it already gets free updates to the newest versions. I assume if you don't already own it, you might have to buy it? But i don't know how thats going to work.

If you have an apple id and can log into the Mac App Store and search for pages, see what happens.

I got iWork for free with my new 2010 MBP and it states $19.99 for me on the App Store, so my guess is, those of us who want the new update either have to buy a new Mac or cough up $20.

That is, unless someone knows of another way Apple has it released for us. I remember when there was an update, I think earlier this year, maybe last, where they had the update hidden on their website.

I got iWork for free with my new 2010 MBP and it states $19.99 for me on the App Store, so my guess is, those of us who want the new update either have to buy a new Mac or cough up $20.

That is, unless someone knows of another way Apple has it released for us. I remember when there was an update, I think earlier this year, maybe last, where they had the update hidden on their website.

I think that's right.  At least that is what I recall.  If you have the previous "box" version you get updates through that to a point.  If you want the "App Store" updates (which are newer) you have to buy through the App Store I think.

The Box updates / the mac app store updates are the same.

When mac rumors reported the updates for pages went live, my mac that got iWork for free when I purchased my retina last year, updated. Our "retail" copies of iWork that were installed on our older macs in our small mac lab at work started updating when I clicked update. For those, it replaced the older versions with newer versions outside of the "iWork 09" folder :D.

All of our newer iMacs will all be upgraded via app store soon. So, apple completely upgraded iWork. For those that dont own it, they have to buy it, but theres not many people that bought it and have a mac, atleast I hope because iWork came virtually free with every Mac since the app store was announced and even before then the boxed copies came. Those that bought it, probably had boxed copies or just ended up buying it again. Regardless $60 isnt bad for what is lifetime of updates, and so far iWork just keeps getting better for free.

I think that's right.  At least that is what I recall.  If you have the previous "box" version you get updates through that to a point.  If you want the "App Store" updates (which are newer) you have to buy through the App Store I think.

That sucks. I really wanted the update, but frankly, with the free version at icloud.com, and Google Docs, I don't really feel the need to spend $20 to this right now. I might have considered it if it was more like $5-10, but with my budget right now, it isn't worth it to me.

The fact that I can update to Mavericks right now, I'm so anxious. But my Apple Supervisors are telling me not to until the systems are updated for the whole entire customer support department.  :(

Edit: Never mind.  I see it is new Macs only.  Rats.  I was hoping to get it for free.  Would like it, but I NEED MS Office on my Mac, I only want iWorks.

The update is free for those with older copies of iLife/iWork as well, even the boxed copies: http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/22/new-iwork-for-mac-apps-live-in-mac-app-store/