• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 23 October 2013 - 16:45

I am looking for a M-SATA SSD, for my laptop that I am going to buy close to christmas, after the new years. Somewhere in there.

Laptop: https://www.system76...ops/model/daru4

Says in the description:

Storage:  1 x mSATA, 1 x 2.5" 9mm Removable SATA II/III 

I'm only versed in regular SSD's, The Samsung 840 pro/evo, the Crucial M5, etc.

But, I am not to wise in M-SATA. I see a lot of Mushkin, a few Cruical, and ADATA. Whom shall I trust? I was thinking either looking at a 64GB or 128GB.

#2 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 23 October 2013 - 17:17

The Crucial M4 mSATA seems to have performed really well in benchmarks.

http://www.tomshardw...iew,3286-9.html

#3 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 October 2013 - 18:18

Yea, Crucial may have the best write/read speed, but ~$150+ for the 128GB sounds a bit steep. I see the Mushkins Atlas series are right under that. I don't necessarily need the greatest speed in the world. Would Mushkin be a good alternative? Never used Mushkin RAM/SSD before.

#4 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 23 October 2013 - 18:25

Hmm not really sure about Mushkin.  I've had their RAM, which worked well, but never had an SSD from them.  Most likely it would be fine.

I guess it's worth asking: Is there any reason you want that laptop?  Surely you could get a comparable Asus Vivobook or Zenbook, and install Ubuntu on it.

#5 +Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 23 October 2013 - 18:32

Could probably consider Intel's 525 (120 GB is where performance starts, according to Tom's Hardware). Also Sandforce based, like Mushkin. They stress higher endurance ratings and five year warranty. Intel has their SSD toolbox (well, Win only, but still) for easy updates. Don't know if Mushkin has anything like that - do they?

#6 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 October 2013 - 18:33

Find me a ultra-book with touchscreen and 4th generation i5 at that price, $899, and I might consider it, but most laptops I see of that caliber are well over $1,000.

And I was thinking of just putting Debian Jessie on that SSD, leave HDD alone in case I ever want to go back.

#7 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 23 October 2013 - 19:01

hey maybe someone can answer this for me about SSD drives.

I saw a discussion about an issue with some SSD drives and upgrading to 8.1. Do the SSD drives get alot of firmware updates? is it like find inherent issues or are they just needed for small issues and every blue moon?

#8 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 October 2013 - 19:08

Firmware depends on the manufacturer, mostly. As long as you have the stuff that was available around Windows 8, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

#9 zeke009

zeke009

yeap...

• Phone: Lumia 920 (AT&T)

Posted 23 October 2013 - 19:11

Yea, Crucial may have the best write/read speed, but ~$150+ for the 128GB sounds a bit steep. I see the Mushkins Atlas series are right under that. I don't necessarily need the greatest speed in the world. Would Mushkin be a good alternative? Never used Mushkin RAM/SSD before.

I'm fond of Mushkin. I have had 3 of their 2.5" SSD's and haven't had a problem to date. As for mSATA, I would have put a Mushkin one in my Acer W500 if they were available when I replaced that drive.

So... I can vouch for Mushkin SSD's, but I can't speak for Mushkin mSATA SSD's with an first hand experience.

#10 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 23 October 2013 - 19:23

Find me a ultra-book with touchscreen and 4th generation i5 at that price, $899, and I might consider it, but most laptops I see of that caliber are well over $1,000.

And I was thinking of just putting Debian Jessie on that SSD, leave HDD alone in case I ever want to go back.

The Dell Inspiron 7000 Series has all that with a slightly bigger screen and 4th gen i7 and is cheaper.

I'm not a fan of Dell, but I've also never heard of System76, so who knows if they are quality or not.

The new Asus Vivobook S551 also will have a 4th gen i7, dedicated GPU, and touchscreen, but I'm not sure where you can buy them yet.

The Lenovo IdeaPad U530 Touch will also meet that spec.

#11 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 October 2013 - 19:41

The Dell Inspiron 7000 Series has all that with a slightly bigger screen and 4th gen i7 and is cheaper.

I'm not a fan of Dell, but I've also never heard of System76, so who knows if they are quality or not.

The new Asus Vivobook S551 also will have a 4th gen i7, dedicated GPU, and touchscreen, but I'm not sure where you can buy them yet.

The Lenovo IdeaPad U530 Touch will also meet that spec.

Yes, yes, but do those laptops have 100% Ubuntu/Linux support? I would guess not as they are centered with Windows 8/8.1.

System76 is a Linux (Ubuntu by trade) company. They make everything their own, like the other side of any distributor. They center on making all their parts 100% Linux compatible. Ask any Linux user if they heard about it. I would guess most do.

I'm fond of Mushkin. I have had 3 of their 2.5" SSD's and haven't had a problem to date. As for mSATA, I would have put a Mushkin one in my Acer W500 if they were available when I replaced that drive.

So... I can vouch for Mushkin SSD's, but I can't speak for Mushkin mSATA SSD's with an first hand experience.

Thanks for your recommendation. :)

#12 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:46

Hello,

As far as functionality goes, mSATA SSDs are just like regular 2.5" SATA SSDs, except in a different form-factor. 

I have a couple (120GB, 240GB) of MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSDs that I am using in a couple of ThinkPads (X220, S230u) and they work just fine.

Right now, Mushkin is the only vendor I'm aware of that offers a 480GB mSATA SSD (I believe VisionTek OEM's it), so if that's what capacity you are looking for, well, there's only one vendor.

Otherwise, compare prices and warranties and purchase what meets your needs and budget, just like you would with a "conventionally sized" 2.5" SSD.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#13 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 October 2013 - 13:47

Hello,

As far as functionality goes, mSATA SSDs are just like regular 2.5" SATA SSDs, except in a different form-factor. 

I have a couple (120GB, 240GB) of MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSDs that I am using in a couple of ThinkPads (X220, S230u) and they work just fine.

Right now, Mushkin is the only vendor I'm aware of that offers a 480GB mSATA SSD (I believe VisionTek OEM's it), so if that's what capacity you are looking for, well, there's only one vendor.

Otherwise, compare prices and warranties and purchase what meets your needs and budget, just like you would with a "conventionally sized" 2.5" SSD.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks, I know M-SATA SSD is close to the same thing as regular SSD's. Just that Samsung or OCZ don't make them. The reason I asked.

I don't need a whopping M-SATA SSD, 64/90/128 would be perfect for me.

Yeah, I can go with prices and warranties, but reliability is a large factor as well. 

#14 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 24 October 2013 - 14:15

If you want reliability I can only say Crucial m4. They're rock solid and still fast by today's standards. You might pay a bit more but Crucial/Micron is really quality stuff and absolutely worth it!

#15 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 October 2013 - 14:20

There a large difference between the M4 and M500?