• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• 1,412 posts
  • Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 24 October 2013 - 00:09

I've avoided prime so far because $25 was low enough that I could easily bundle two or three items once a month and get the free shipping. The $35 limit now makes that a little harder since I usually buy items (e.g. toothpaste, soap) as bundled packs that last me a couple months at a time. So I just need one particular item, then I probably have to either wait until I have enough stuff to buy or make a trip to the store.

Honestly, it was fun while it lasted. Also note that if you are a student or still have an active edu account sitting around, you can get a up to four years of the discounted pricing at $39/yr, which makes it even more worth to get your items in 2 days rather than waiting two weeks.

#17 blade1269

blade1269

Jesus Saved me! A Christian!

• 1,712 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:01

How much is prime?

And what are the benefits?

#18 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 7,557 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:20

How much is prime?

And what are the benefits?

See here: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B00DBYBNEE

It's simple to look it up.

#19 defystars

defystars

Neowinian

• 19 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:20

Amazon Prime is great and totally worth it. Free 2-day shipping. Sometimes have received my orders within 1 day.

#20 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,571 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 26 October 2013 - 20:24

I never understood why people feel its fair to not pay sales tax just because you purchased something online and not in a physical store.

Amazon is still an excellent service - not really anything that compares to it.

Eh mostly because I couldn't care less about physical stores and I wish that most of them would go away.

Take electronics for example. Best Buy or Amazon. The choice is pretty dam simple. A lot of online stores have great customer service, and better prices (even before sales tax).

So is it fair? No it isn't but I just can't bring myself to care haha. And well legally you have to declare online purchases on your tax return but nobody does that and its really hard to enforce.

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:21

Amazon Prime is great and totally worth it. Free 2-day shipping. Sometimes have received my orders within 1 day.

I agree but it is only worth it if you use Amazon a lot. I do so it's worth it to me. For someone that orders only occasionally, it's probably not worth it, especially if you use Netflix or some other video service.

#22 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,672 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:43

Free shipping kind of sucks sometimes. I ordered something once, they had it in stock, they say on it for a week. Did a chat only to get told "free shipping has lowest priority". Didn't let me upgrade the shipping. I cancelled the order, bought elsewhere that had free shipping and had it the next day.

I've always paid the cheap shipping after that.

#23 blerk

blerk

Neowinian

• 608 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:49

I don't buy books from amazon any more as their international shipping is an absolute rip-off. I get mine from Book Depository because they have free shipping worldwide and their prices generally tend to be the cheapest (at least for the books that I need). 

British online retailers generally tend to have excellent prices + international shipping, which is nice for someone who lives in a country where big markups are common. But at least I don't live in Australia, they're far worse  :/

#24 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,131 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:11

Free shipping kind of sucks sometimes. I ordered something once, they had it in stock, they say on it for a week. Did a chat only to get told "free shipping has lowest priority". Didn't let me upgrade the shipping. I cancelled the order, bought elsewhere that had free shipping and had it the next day.

I've always paid the cheap shipping after that.

Whoever you talked to was wrong, a Prime membership is supposed to be like a tier 3 membership here, higher priority and added benefits 

#25 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,672 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:19

Whoever you talked to was wrong, a Prime membership is supposed to be like a tier 3 membership here, higher priority and added benefits

I should have been clearer. Regular free shipping.

#26 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,660 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:22

FWIW mothers and college students can get amazon prime for free. It doesn't come with any of the bonuses of a paid prime account but you still get the free shipping.

Tip: you only actually need a valid college email address, you don't actually need to be going to school..  :shifty:

http://www.amazon.co...ent/signup/info

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mom/signup

#27 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,312 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:22

$75B revenue and they don't make a profit? That's quite unusual...

#28 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,697 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 23:22

$75B revenue and they don't make a profit? That's quite unusual...

That's because they put all of their revenue back into Amazon and their distribution centers, investing in state of the art robots to become even faster and better.

#29 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 16:04

That's because they put all of their revenue back into Amazon and their distribution centers, investing in state of the art robots to become even faster and better.

I read an article on this not long ago. The investors are really unhappy with their strategy. But Jeff Bezos doesn't care. He's more interesting in making the customer happy.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!