• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• 1,413 posts
  • Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 24 October 2013 - 00:09

I've avoided prime so far because $25 was low enough that I could easily bundle two or three items once a month and get the free shipping. The $35 limit now makes that a little harder since I usually buy items (e.g. toothpaste, soap) as bundled packs that last me a couple months at a time. So I just need one particular item, then I probably have to either wait until I have enough stuff to buy or make a trip to the store.

Honestly, it was fun while it lasted. Also note that if you are a student or still have an active edu account sitting around, you can get a up to four years of the discounted pricing at $39/yr, which makes it even more worth to get your items in 2 days rather than waiting two weeks.

#17 blade1269

blade1269

Jesus Saved me! A Christian!

• 1,725 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:01

How much is prime?

And what are the benefits?

#18 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 10,219 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:20

How much is prime?

And what are the benefits?

See here: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B00DBYBNEE

It's simple to look it up.

#19 defystars

defystars

Neowinian

• 19 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:20

Amazon Prime is great and totally worth it. Free 2-day shipping. Sometimes have received my orders within 1 day.

#20 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,880 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 26 October 2013 - 20:24

I never understood why people feel its fair to not pay sales tax just because you purchased something online and not in a physical store.

Amazon is still an excellent service - not really anything that compares to it.

Eh mostly because I couldn't care less about physical stores and I wish that most of them would go away.

Take electronics for example. Best Buy or Amazon. The choice is pretty dam simple. A lot of online stores have great customer service, and better prices (even before sales tax).

So is it fair? No it isn't but I just can't bring myself to care haha. And well legally you have to declare online purchases on your tax return but nobody does that and its really hard to enforce.

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:21

Amazon Prime is great and totally worth it. Free 2-day shipping. Sometimes have received my orders within 1 day.

I agree but it is only worth it if you use Amazon a lot. I do so it's worth it to me. For someone that orders only occasionally, it's probably not worth it, especially if you use Netflix or some other video service.

#22 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,822 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:43

Free shipping kind of sucks sometimes. I ordered something once, they had it in stock, they say on it for a week. Did a chat only to get told "free shipping has lowest priority". Didn't let me upgrade the shipping. I cancelled the order, bought elsewhere that had free shipping and had it the next day.

I've always paid the cheap shipping after that.

#23 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• 747 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:49

I don't buy books from amazon any more as their international shipping is an absolute rip-off. I get mine from Book Depository because they have free shipping worldwide and their prices generally tend to be the cheapest (at least for the books that I need). 

British online retailers generally tend to have excellent prices + international shipping, which is nice for someone who lives in a country where big markups are common. But at least I don't live in Australia, they're far worse  :/

#24 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,405 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:11

Free shipping kind of sucks sometimes. I ordered something once, they had it in stock, they say on it for a week. Did a chat only to get told "free shipping has lowest priority". Didn't let me upgrade the shipping. I cancelled the order, bought elsewhere that had free shipping and had it the next day.

I've always paid the cheap shipping after that.

Whoever you talked to was wrong, a Prime membership is supposed to be like a tier 3 membership here, higher priority and added benefits 

#25 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,822 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:19

Whoever you talked to was wrong, a Prime membership is supposed to be like a tier 3 membership here, higher priority and added benefits

I should have been clearer. Regular free shipping.

#26 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,943 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:22

FWIW mothers and college students can get amazon prime for free. It doesn't come with any of the bonuses of a paid prime account but you still get the free shipping.

Tip: you only actually need a valid college email address, you don't actually need to be going to school..  :shifty:

http://www.amazon.co...ent/signup/info

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mom/signup

#27 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,979 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:22

$75B revenue and they don't make a profit? That's quite unusual...

#28 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,180 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 23:22

$75B revenue and they don't make a profit? That's quite unusual...

That's because they put all of their revenue back into Amazon and their distribution centers, investing in state of the art robots to become even faster and better.

#29 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 16:04

That's because they put all of their revenue back into Amazon and their distribution centers, investing in state of the art robots to become even faster and better.

I read an article on this not long ago. The investors are really unhappy with their strategy. But Jeff Bezos doesn't care. He's more interesting in making the customer happy.