Neowin staff (do not have) access to members PMs....

Hello,

In a thread, Steven Parker (Neobond) posted the following:

I'm just pointing out that we investigate harassment in PM's when it's reported to us. What you do between two consenting members in PM's is your business, we don't have access to that content unless it's reported, then there are ways to view the content ;)

I find that VERY disturbing. Even if only "reporting" activates it, a staff member could make a false account, report it, and PM could be accessed.

I dont feel comfortable that Neowin staff members can access our PMs if they choose to.

I would feel better if Neobond could step in and clear up how exactly PMs can be accessed by staff members. Yes, we know staff members never read PMs but I think these things should be cleared up....

Thank you

I find that VERY disturbing. Even if only "reporting" activates it, a staff member could make a false account, report it, and PM could be accessed.

Huh? How would that fake account have access to your private messages?

There may be ways for higher up's to check in to PMs, but if there is then I don't think they bother. What was meant by the comment was that if someone reports a PM to us, we can ask them to include one of the staff members in the PM chain. In short, we have to be given permission to view the PM.

Hello,

In a thread, Steven Parker (Neobond) posted the following:

I dont feel comfortable that Neowin staff members can access our PMs if they choose to.

I would feel better if Neobond could step in and clear up how exactly PMs can be accessed by staff members. Yes, we know staff members never read PMs but I think these things should be cleared up....

Thank you

sorry, I must be getting tired, but how would a fake account get a genuine one flagged?

Also I don't have a problem with staff viewing my messages, even the ones containing links to adult material, they are afterall, private messages, now extreme nsfw, link links to death or terrorism, hell I'd be the first to report those.

Hello,

Huh? How would that fake account have access to your private messages?

Member A has PMs

Staff A for some reason wants to read them

Staff A makes fake Member B

Member B sends PM to Member A

Member A replies to Member B

Member B reports Member A for insulting

As soon as this happens, Staff A takes the task of investigating.

Staff A can now view all of Member A's PMs

At least thats how I thought it thru at first :p

• Like 1

I assure you, the moderation staff here would not create dupe accounts for the purpose of accessing a member's personal messages. Members can invite other people to their conversations and that's usually how it's done when staff intervention is required. Neobond is right though. There are ways to view a member's personal message but that's only done in extreme situations (e.g. death threats, cyber bullying, etc).

• Like 1

Hello,

sorry, I must be getting tired, but how would a fake account get a genuine one flagged?

Also I don't have a problem with staff viewing my messages, even the ones containing links to adult material, they are afterall, private messages, now extreme nsfw, link links to death or terrorism, hell I'd be the first to report those.

Its not about looking at our PMs. Its about PMs should stay always private with NO access to them what so ever.

Hello,

Member A has PMs

ahh, thank you for clearing that up,

no I wouldn't think you have anything to worry about as the staff member sent by the site to investigate would see that the pm thread started with you getting insulted, your retaliation would go to the 'back burner' as you were the victim of such act.

(least when I used to moderate my wife's old website, that's how we did it. :) )

Hello,

Its not about looking at our PMs. Its about PMs should stay always private with NO access to them what so ever.

But that in itself creates problems, I do understand the point you are making, privacy is just that, but there is some reassurance that you woulld not get the shaft in the scenario you provided :)

Hello,

Member A has PMs

Mod A for some reason wants to read them

Mod A makes fake Member B

As soon as this happens, Mod A takes the task of investigating.

Mod A can now view all of Member A's PMs

Nope. If we get invited in to a PM chain then we can only view those messages. We cannot see the other PM's that were created.

Hello,

I assure you, the moderation staff here would not create dupe accounts for the purpose of accessing a member's personal messages. Members can invite other people to their conversations and that's usually how it's done when staff intervention is required. Neobond is right though. There are ways to view a member's personal message but that's only done in extreme situations (e.g. death threats, cyber bullying, etc).

Im sure that the moderation staff would not create dupe accounts for this or any purpose.

But what if someone abuses the system of one of the ways to view a member's personal messages? We should trust staff but.....

The only thing Im asking is HOW PM's can be viewed exactly.

Hello,

Member A has PMs

But that means that the staff a will only get to read the messages between member b (his fake account) and member a.

Which he already can, using his member b account :huh:

EDIT for clarity

PMs are a direct private communication system for and by those it is addressed to unless shared with others.There is no magic back door built in to the system.

Hello,

Nope. If we get invited in to a PM chain then we can only view those messages. We cannot see the other PM's that were created.

So I have a convo with Member A, Member B, and Member C. Member C is actually a staff. Member C reports me and Staff A can ONLY see messages between Member C and myself? There is no loophole or way around, right?

OK, I guess thats a bit better :)

Hello,

Im sure that the moderation staff would not create dupe accounts for this or any purpose.

But what if someone abuses the system of one of the ways to view a member's personal messages? We should trust staff but.....

The only thing Im asking is HOW PM's can be viewed exactly.

Then why mention a very unlikely possibility like that? It's obvious you were implying that we'd do something like that. I should clarify that we don't have access to any PM at any time. I don't know the details myself because I've never done anything like that so you should send a PM to Neobond.

Talk about paranoia and blowing what I said way out of proportion!

Members have to add us to conversations for us to see the PM's, in extreme cases we have to look on the server (same for any site btw), but that can only be accessed by very few people.

Neowin doesn't read your PM's.

• Like 2

Hello,

But that means that the staff a will only get to read the messages between member b (his fake account) and member a.

Which he already can, using his member b account :huh:

Intrinsica seems to state it is that way. I thought all of PMs members were analized for history purposes if he was a dupe account or something like that.

PMs are private direct communication unless shared with others by those in receipt of the PMs in question

PMs here (on a forum) are not like that. They are stored on a database.

Hello,

Members have to add us to conversations for us to see the PM's, in extreme cases we have to look on the server (same for any site btw), but that can only be accessed by very few people.

Reading it did sound like that. Misinterpreted...

Edited title for clarity.

Do you mind changing the title to: "Do Neowin staff have access to PMs? NO"

The way you worded it seems like this thread is about nothing! :p

8tGJjHT.gif

• Like 2

Edited title for clarity.

did you just ninja another best answer? :p

OP

Emails and Text messages are kept on databases as well, I wish I could assure you that you have nothing to worry about :)

I assure you, you have nothing to worry about :)

So I have a convo with Member A, Member B, and Member C. Member C is actually a staff. Member C reports me and Staff A can ONLY see messages between Member C and myself? There is no loophole or way around, right?

I think you got your letters mixed up there, but essentially you are correct.

Let's say you had a PM conversation with member A last week. This week you receive a PM from member B that you find offensive, so you report it and invite me in to the PM chain. As a member of staff, I can only see the PM chain between you and member B. If you had a conversation with them 6 months ago in a separate PM chain, I cannot see those messages. I also cannot see the conversation you had with member A last week.

If it makes you feel any better, even if there were a way for me to look through every PM that was ever sent I wouldn't bother. I have far better things to spend my time with. (Y)