Firefox’s Australis design won’t ship until March 2014

mozilla australis firefox 28

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,762 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 25 October 2013 - 18:40

Is this the firefox Death kneel? can't innovate a product that is over 2 years past it's due date, even just to get it to simply work

A browser isn't going to die just because a new skin isn't done, the browser itself works very well.  (And frankly they can take all the time in the world, prefer the old style anyway.) 

#17 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,770 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 18:44

Hopefully it's delayed forever and they can come up with something better.

#18 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,940 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 October 2013 - 18:58

Is this the firefox Death kneel? can't innovate a product that is over 2 years past it's due date, even just to get it to simply work

I have a feeling that if Firefox can't slim down the browser, stabilize it, and FINALLY fix the horrific memory hogging, than those will be the death knell of the browser. I honestly think they need to pull an IE, and trash support for both XP and Vista, and strip that old code out. 

#19 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,525 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 18:59

I have a feeling that if Firefox can't slim down the browser, stabilize it, and FINALLY fix the horrific memory hogging, than those will be the death knell of the browser. I honestly think they need to pull an IE, and trash support for both XP and Vista, and strip that old code out. 

Well the horrific memory hogging you speak of is way better than chrome!

#20 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,762 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 25 October 2013 - 19:03

Maybe it's just my particular selection of addons or something, but I haven't had any particular stability or memory issues with Firefox since like version 4 or so.  Only crashes I've gotten in the past year or so are out of Flash and not the browser itself, and memory usage is much lower than Chrome, especially when multiple tabs are going.. the only better one resource wise (for me) is IE but chalking that up due to it having a lot less addons installed.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the legacy baggage get tossed eventually though once XP goes past its expiration date.. it's still supported by Microsoft, so it should still be supported by third parties too.  After that date though, anything goes.

#21 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,847 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 19:06

I've found memory hogging is the one problem firefox *doesn't* have. Compared to other browsers such as chrome, firefox consistently uses the least memory. Firefox took care of most of the "memory leak" issues during firefox 3.x... If you are getting a true memory leak its probably a misbehaving extension of plugin.

#22 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,275 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 19:12

A browser isn't going to die just because a new skin isn't done, the browser itself works very well.  (And frankly they can take all the time in the world, prefer the old style anyway.) 

Ok, I'm just with the crowd with my torch and pitchfork in hand

angrymobfunrun.jpg

#23 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• 3,902 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 19:16

I'm personally waiting for Electrolysis to stabilize.

#24 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

• 4,178 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 19:19

Kinda looks like those browsers from the early 2000s. :/

In what way would that be?

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,768 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 25 October 2013 - 19:49

lol Gotta love them rounded tabs!

to bad the use significantly more space then plan square. at least when you have a lot of tabs. doesn't help firefox insist on forcing the retarded scrolling tabs on you. 

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,768 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 19:50

In what way would that be?

neoplanet...

#27 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,474 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 19:55

Firefox needs more Metro like themes. Not ugly rounded corners. 

attachicon.gifSquare.PNG

That is hideous.

#28 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

• 4,178 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 20:03

neoplanet...

And the similarities would be what exactly? Australis is clean and simple, just because the tabs are curved doesn't make much difference to me.

#29 Som

Som

Neowinian

• 771 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 20:06

never been a fan of firefox, always been an opera person ... happy to keep using opera 12 too ... until they fix the shite they've come up with recently

#30 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,768 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 20:09

And the similarities would be what exactly? Australis is clean and simple, just because the tabs are curved doesn't make much difference to me.

neoplanet could be "clean" in the same way this is "clean"