Google breaks 2005 promise never to show banner ads

Me for one, and I am a huge Google fan. I don't want ads all over my search pages.

I use a little from everyone these days.  I used to be anti this or anti that...but most have something good to offer that out does the other.  I use Google for searching  and just use ABP so I dont see the ads.

Unless you are looking for Holiday, Florida or someone's blog about their holiday in Florida a search like that should bring up ads by google and in the normal search results.

I swear google are intent on butchering their services one by one. I don't use google search at all. Here's a search page for "Holiday in florida". I see 10 results. 8 of them are ads.

Screen-Shot-2013-10-24-at-19.35.22.png

I did the "holiday in florida" search and I get one ad.

Granted I have ABP installed, but it's not difficult to solve the ad problems of Google, Bing, Youtube, etc.

Not at the moment no, but with more and more people using ABP, these companies are going to find new ways to advertise to us because it is apparently an important part of the internet now.

Aww, poor Google.

I know, it's hard to feel bad for a company that makes their living selling ads. But it's not just about them. If everyone blocked ads it would hurt everyone, including Neowin.

I know, it's hard to feel bad for a company that makes their living selling ads. But it's not just about them. If everyone blocked ads it would hurt everyone, including Neowin.

Google has gotten by pretty darn good for a long time without these gigantic banners. By adding them now they will just drive more people to adblock and ultimately end up losing money from it rather than gaining.

• Like 1

Google has gotten by pretty darn good for a long time without these gigantic banners. By adding them now they will just drive more people to adblock and ultimately end up losing money from it rather than gaining.

very good point.  i dont use ad block, but if i see them banners in my google searches, i certainly will

I remember I saw google ads on anywhere like tagged.com, and others.  I am so annoyed with google ads or ads banner since 2008.

The New York Times pointed out that Google is battling falling ad revenue for desktop-based searches as consumers increasingly switch to mobile devices. However, it?s worth noting that the company is hardly hurting. After reporting third-quarter earnings last week, Google?s stock broke a record by trading over $1,000 per share for the first time.

Google makes more money from online ads than any other company in the world. The new banners, which break a promise previously made by the company, then beg this question: Is this what?s necessary for websites to create desktop ad revenue as consumers switch to mobile, or is Google just being greedy?

read more