Apple Offering 'Free' Updates to All Owners of Aperture, iWork, and iLife; Not Worried About

Apple Offering 'Free' Updates to All Owners of Aperture, iWork, and iLife; Not Worried About Unethical Users

As part of its efforts to ensure that all eligible software owners are able to upgrade to the latest versions of its software on the Mac App Store, Apple is intentionally allowing users with any version of Aperture, iLife and iWork installed on their system to upgrade to the latest versions on the Mac App Store -- even illegally acquired or trial versions.

In order to ensure that no legitimate software owners are left behind, according to MacTrast, Apple has eliminated its legacy software update mechanism entirely and is instead pushing all software updates onto the Mac App Store.

According to a MacTrast source at Apple:

It?s no coincidence that Apple?s support site doesn?t have downloads for the new Aperture, iWork, and iLife updates. They aren?t in our Software Update system either ? and there?s a good reason for that. With Mavericks, we have changed the way we distribute updates for legacy versions of our apps.

Rather than maintain separate updates for these in addition to the Mac App Store versions of each app, Apple has decided to eliminate their legacy software update system for apps entirely. Instead, when Mavericks discovers legacy apps installed on your Mac, it provisions them as a Mac App Store purchase using your Apple ID. It saves us a lot of time, effort, and bandwidth. After the provision is complete, it will appear in your Mac App Store history as though you have purchased the Mac App Store version of the app.

While we are aware that this enables piracy of our apps for unethical users, Apple has never taken a strong stance or action against piracy in the past. We like to believe that our users are honest, even if that belief is in vain.
When the new apps were released on the Mac App Store, many users with legitimate copies were unable to upgrade to the latest versions, though many users who were having difficulties seem to be able to upgrade now.

As a result of Apple's changes, all users with older versions of Aperture, iWork or iLife installed -- even if acquired through less-than-ethical means -- should be able to upgrade to the latest versions through the Mac App Store.

Source: Mac Rumors

I tried this and didn't worked for me... they appeared to update, but when I clicked on the update button, it said that the app was installed by another apple id (null). I installed the trial versions... Maybe they fixed it?

I actually have a boxed copy of iWorks '09 that I purchased with my MacBook Pro.  I haven't had it installed in awhile because Office 2011 met my needs better.

Just installed it in Mavericks, ran Pages, first thing that popped up was "You need to update click here" type prompt which took me right to the app store and updated all the apps to the latest and greatest.  Cool.

If you've bought your Mac after October 1st and didn't come with Mavericks, you can get a reimbursement of the iWork or iLife apps you purchase.

Since I bought a $3000 late-2013 iMac at the end of September, I haven't felt bad at all downloading the new iWork illegally.

You also get iLife and iWork for free with every new machine anyway. All you do is click on purchases and it'll ask you to sign in with an AppleID and then assigns them to your apple id. 

You also get iLife and iWork for free with every new machine anyway. All you do is click on purchases and it'll ask you to sign in with an AppleID and then assigns them to your apple id. 

Best thing I've ever loved about iTunes and the App Store, you're never tied down to one device, there is no license basically.

• Like 2

Best thing I've ever loved about iTunes and the App Store, you're never tied down to one device, there is no license basically.

Yeah, that is pretty cool.

That's great news. I doubt that Apple makes much money from their software sells anyway. It's all about the hardware to them.

Aperture was always near the top of the top grossing applications, although to be honest maybe it's just not a thing they worry about. I imagine enough Apple users just pay in the first place.

It is nice though, I wanted a newer version of Garageband, now I get it for free.

Does this apply to the iOS versions, as well? I've never bought them, but ADC does appear to have beta copies for download. If I install those, will it let me upgrade to the full versions?

i would pay $20-29 for mavericks if it contained all the functionality of the previous OS. why do updates nowadays remove features instead of build

look at the release of final cut x, iWork now removes some advanced features, quicktimex doesn't play most files and this breaks quick look and thumbnail previews.

i like progress but it seems like cutting pro/core functionality seems to be an afterthought 

I tried this and didn't worked for me... they appeared to update, but when I clicked on the update button, it said that the app was installed by another apple id (null). I installed the trial versions... Maybe they fixed it?

I managed to get updated iWork apps and iPhoto successfully since then.

i would pay $20-29 for mavericks if it contained all the functionality of the previous OS. why do updates nowadays remove features instead of build

look at the release of final cut x, iWork now removes some advanced features, quicktimex doesn't play most files and this breaks quick look and thumbnail previews.

i like progress but it seems like cutting pro/core functionality seems to be an afterthought 

Why pay even that?  If you have Snow Leopard or later, Mavericks costs *nada* - as in nothing.

I was dual-booting ML and a Mavericks DP; however, I downloaded Mavericks GM directly from the Mac App Store.  Cost - nothing.

I had iLife '11 (the old version without iCloud integration) and just updated it to the 64-bit iCloud-integrated version yesterday (via the App Store).  Again, the cost was nothing.

I *could* upgrade the same age iWork (though I have no need, due to having an updated Microsoft Office, which runs quite happily in Mavericks).

Apple has been making some good decisions lately. The new Macbook Air has been critically acclaimed, iOS 7, while reluctantly at first, has been gaining fans, Mavericks is a great update made even better by being free, now this.

Cant comment on the iPhone 5s. For me it was a lukewarm try.