Many customers getting ripped off on Flu shots

I'm sure the weakest people in society feel the same way... oh wait.

You do know that flock immunization doesn't work on the flu shot right ?

to many variables

to many people to immunize everyone.

to many strains, a flu shot only protects against ~5 of the strains, every year they cherry pick 5 different strains they "think" will be the big ones this year and makes this years flu shot. there's hundreds of strains, and usually more than 5 different ones active each year. And there's new ones coming all the time as well. basically the flu shot might not even protect you if you get infected.

therefore it's actually quite useless to give flushots to everyone, especially the young and healthy. It wont kill healthy people to get the flu, it will only help them deal with it better themselves later. The only reason to immunize everyone, is to pad the pockets of the pharma. 

I got a flu shot a week or so ago. These are optional so are not covered by our NHS.  Cost me ?7.50 at my local supermarket pharmacy, that's $12.15 US.  You guys are seriously ripped off...

I got a flu shot free on the NHS a few weeks ago. It's not free for everyone but it is for people with respiratory problems, children, the elderly, etc. 

to many variables

to many strains, a flu shot only protects against ~5 of the strains, every year they cherry pick 5 different strains they "think" will be the big ones this year and makes this years flu shot. there's hundreds of strains, and usually more than 5 different ones active each year. And there's new ones coming all the time as well. basically the flu shot might not even protect you if you get infected.

therefore it's actually quite useless to give flushots to everyone, especially the young and healthy. It wont kill healthy people to get the flu, it will only help them deal with it better themselves later. The only reason to immunize everyone, is to pad the pockets of the pharma.

This years flu shot is made up of three strands.

This years flu shot is made up of three strands.

Kind of like those big carnival roulette wheels then. except instead of not getting the teddy, you get the flu :p

to many variables

I was referring to the weak people, the amount of lives its saved cant be counted.

I know I have had problems with places telling me something isn't covered by my insurance, so I have to pay for it, and then they charge my insurance company and get two payments. You can't trust anyone these days.

I was sent a bill for some x-rays last year, as well as the radiology co. trying to bill the Insurance.

I refused to pay them.

The kicker is, all the time they were trying to get money out of me, the Co. had already been paid. :s

Aren't we, by taking flu shots, making the flu strains stronger as they evolve in accordance to us? Correct if I'm wrong, that's what I learnt in high school biology. The more immune you get to a virus the more it evolves in order to be able to fight you.

If I know this hurts the following generations, I'd never take a flu shot (not that I take any).

• Like 2

flu shot are ridiculous, they are a rip off, for anyone with a good immune system (anyone, but the very young, very old, or the immune compromised people)

and to see them blatantly ripping people of on top of that, is just depressing.

healthcare is the proverbial cow everyone is milking nowadays, this is were the big bucks are, and this is were the scams are rampant!    the fake prescription medicine is one of the most profitable scams, and there are lots more.

flu shot are ridiculous, they are a rip off, for anyone with a good immune system (anyone, but the very young, very old, or the immune compromised people)

healthcare is the proverbial cow everyone is milking nowadays, this is were the big bucks are, and this is were the scams are rampant!    the fake prescription medicine is one of the most profitable scams, and there are lots more.

Can't agree more with you on that. The best flu shot is the healthy way of life. Our organism is strong enough to defeat simple flu in most cases. Even without medicine but of course we don't want to wait for weeks.

• Like 2

Aren't we, by taking flu shots, making the flu strains stronger as they evolve in accordance to us? Correct if I'm wrong, that's what I learnt in high school biology. The more immune you get to a virus the more it evolves in order to be able to fight you.

If I know this hurts the following generations, I'd never take a flu shot (not that I take any).

Don't forget the mercury many shots contain !

• Like 1

Aren't they typically aimed at the young and the old? 

Don't forget the mercury many shots contain !

Thiomerosal ? a preservative that contains mercury ? has never been shown to be harmful, Cunningham said. The type of mercury linked with nervous system damage is methyl mercury, he said. Concerns over methyl mercury levels have led to recommendations that pregnant women avoid eating large amounts of certain types of fish, such as swordfish.

In contrast, thiomerosal is an ethyl mercury compound.

Still, because the preservative raised controversy, especially over a now-disproven link to autism, it was taken out of almost all U.S. vaccines starting in 2001, Cunningham said.

almost all, except the hepatitis and flu shot!

also, this would not be the first time something was "proven" to be harmless, but it was not...

who cares really... the point i was making, that flu shots are pointless (or even possibly harmful, even if the chance of it is tiny)   and should be avoided by healthy adults.

almost all, except the hepatitis and flu shot!

also, this would not be the first time something was "proven" to be harmless, but it was not...

who cares really... the point i was making, that flu shots are pointless (or even possibly harmful, even if the chance of it is tiny)   and should be avoided by healthy adults.

Increase number of infected hosts. Increased number of viral replication events, greater chance of hitting a mutation that results in increased pathogenicity and virulence. Large scale vaccination suppresses the ability of the viral population to sample resistance traits.

It's obvious you don't know how vaccinations work.  Let's go over some points:

Yes, some healthy people will die from the flu. 

No, not getting the shot will not help them deal with it better later.  Vaccinations work by introducing a dead virus or parts of a dead virus to your body. Your immune system attacks the dead virus and develops the ability to fight the live virus if it ever gets into your body. By never gaining immunity, you do not automatically have the ability to fight the virus and your body has to do what it can to fight it and develop that immunity after about a week of you feeling horrible, missing work, and transmitting the virus to other people.

The main reason to immunize large quantities of people is to reduce transmission risk and reduce costs involved in treating sick people. 

So, please, stop spreading what is incredibly bad information.

Mate of mine works in a lab that makes these flu shots.  They're based on the previous year's flu strain, and are next to useless.

• Like 1

It's obvious you don't know how vaccinations work.  Let's go over some points:

Yes, some healthy people will die from the flu. 

No, not getting the shot will not help them deal with it better later.  Vaccinations work by introducing a dead virus or parts of a dead virus to your body. Your immune system attacks the dead virus and develops the ability to fight the live virus if it ever gets into your body. By never gaining immunity, you do not automatically have the ability to fight the virus and your body has to do what it can to fight it and develop that immunity after about a week of you feeling horrible, missing work, and transmitting the virus to other people.

The main reason to immunize large quantities of people is to reduce transmission risk and reduce costs involved in treating sick people. 

So, please, stop spreading what is incredibly bad information.

Healthy young people don't die from the flu, unless it's a specially bad super strain like the swine flu, EXCEPT, the swine flu turned out to not really be any worse than any other strain of the flu anyway, but...

And getting the flu will teach the body to fight it later just like the vaccine, better in fact. and again, the vaccines only contain a limited amount of strains, this years shot, 3 selected strands, pulled out of a giant pool that the doctors are "guessing" are going to be this years flu strains. The only way they would know this is if they where the ones releasing it, but I'm not a conspiracy theorists so I don't buy that, but I'm sure I gave Hum some ideas. 

And as I said, flock immunization doesn't really work on the flu shot. never has, never will. and I explained why above. 

Healthy young people don't die from the flu, unless it's a specially bad super strain like the swine flu, EXCEPT, the swine flu turned out to not really be any worse than any other strain of the flu anyway, but...

And getting the flu will teach the body to fight it later just like the vaccine, better in fact. and again, the vaccines only contain a limited amount of strains, this years shot, 3 selected strands, pulled out of a giant pool that the doctors are "guessing" are going to be this years flu strains. The only way they would know this is if they where the ones releasing it, but I'm not a conspiracy theorists so I don't buy that, but I'm sure I gave Hum some ideas. 

And as I said, flock immunization doesn't really work on the flu shot. never has, never will. and I explained why above. 

A flu shot is, on average, $30.

It's rare for a healthy young person to die from the flu, but it does happen, and it is a risk. Is the risk worth $30?

Getting the flu will teach the body to fight it later, exactly the same as the vaccine. After being sick for a week, missing work or school and most likely infecting someone else. Is that worth $30?

If you do not have the flu, you can not pass it to someone else. If you don't get a flu shot and you do get the flu, you can pass it to someone else, like the very young or elderly. Is that worth $30?

So, congrats, you saved $30 a year, and every year you do get the flu that you could have prevented, you cost other people hundreds.

Yay! Go you.

Actually the flu shot is free for me, I can handle being sick from a flu strain that the shot likely wouldn't protect me from anyway, and I live in a civilized country so I don't lose money from being sick.

So why should I get a useless set that at best would protect me against 3-5 strains of last years flu's, When this year there's likely to be a whole new set of strains, and more than 5 of them as well. Seems rather pointless doesn't it.

• Like 2

I could have the jab free, but I know more people who said they got sick after getting it than those who felt it had been beneficial. I've had the flu and it sucks, but I've only had it maybe two or three times in my entire life. I exercise and generally eat healthy and take care of myself. Vaccines are pretty unnatural. I'll just deal with the occasional illness and not risk anything funky going on. Save the jabs for the really serious things.

</crazy hippie>

• Like 3

keep in mind the flu shot is an educated guess as too which flu virus they think will be the most common. So you can get the flu shot and still get the flu depending on which flu virus you get.

Had a flu bout years ago. Wasn't fun.

Flu shots are free for all city residents, so why the heck not.