Am I too old to change my Career?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 AndroidPenguin

AndroidPenguin

Neowinian

• 19 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 20:48

Hi. I don't ever write on this forum but your post felt I wanted to. I'm a med student actually studying and seeing psych patients currently. If you want to change honestly definitely go for it. I dabble in some programming (written my own app) and whilst I love programming I love psych and medicine way much more. You will genuinely love it. There are people on my course way older than you - at least by more than 10 years. I was expecting you to say you're 40 or 45 or something but if you're 30 definitely go ahead and do it. You'll regret it if you don't give it a shot, psych is absolutely amazing and if you find you don't enjoy it you can always switch back (it's definitely not for everyone!). 

#32 OP astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,928 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 21:31

Hi. I don't ever write on this forum but your post felt I wanted to. I'm a med student actually studying and seeing psych patients currently. If you want to change honestly definitely go for it. I dabble in some programming (written my own app) and whilst I love programming I love psych and medicine way much more. You will genuinely love it. There are people on my course way older than you - at least by more than 10 years. I was expecting you to say you're 40 or 45 or something but if you're 30 definitely go ahead and do it. You'll regret it if you don't give it a shot, psych is absolutely amazing and if you find you don't enjoy it you can always switch back (it's definitely not for everyone!). 

Thank you very much for this information.

#33 Angelic Marge

Angelic Marge

Heavenly

• 4,092 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 22:20

It's never too late, I enrolled in a part time college course when I was 37 to qualify as a Nursery Nurse. I thought I'd be the oldest one there but there were people a year or 2 older than me. I then went on to gain further qualifications and it was the best thing I ever did.

#34 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 22:23

and so are the days of our lives!

That's what I tell all my children

#35 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,171 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 22:31

That's what I tell all my children

That are in the General Hospital.

#36 lamminium

lamminium

Neowinian Senior

• 1,596 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:40

I'd say go for it so you won't be bothered by what-ifs later in life. :)

#37 OP astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,928 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:50

Well, it's been decided.

I've had almost entirely positive reactions from all my friends, family, and of course Neowin. I've enrolled for the next intake and am now on my way to becoming a Psychologist. I truly appreciate all of the feedback I've gotten from all of you. Thank you.

If I ever see any of you on the street -- well, I'd walk right passed you -- but, if I knew who you were I'd give you a great big hug.

Thanks.

P.S. I promise not to use my powers for evil; unless in doing evil there is an anti-evil outcome, or if it makes me a lot of money... Actually, let's scratch that... I'll try not to be evil. No, you know what.. I'm thinking it through and I'm about 65% 75% sure I'll do at least one a lot of evil thing[s]. Alright I'm pretty sure I'll use this for evil...

#38 Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

• 1,061 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:05

Congrats!

Best of luck with your new life path!

#39 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• 746 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:22

40 isn't particularly old in the healthcare industry. I know of, and am friends with a few people doing their BDS or MBChB and they're ~34-37. These degrees are 5-6 years and with any sort of postgraduate work or residency they'd be very well into their 40's before the cash rolls in. 

So I would say go for it. I have no idea what the job market is like for psychology, but I do know it is a very popular degree, so that would be my only concern. But you do already have a "proper" job and income so you do have a fall-back option if things get really tight I guess. Also the general consensus seems to be that a "mature" student will generally do better in in their degree, and academically is not disadvantaged even if they haven't been in education recently, so that's all good.

Edit: I see that you've decided. Good luck with the degree. Now you can be the Neowin resident shrink, and you can analyze what our posting habits really reveal about us  :rofl:

#40 ShockD

ShockD

Antagonist

• 390 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:13

I firmly believe that there's not such thing as "being too old for something". If you can physically do it, you're apparently not too old.