Photo

Disable Windows Defender / AntiMalware Executable?

Answered Go to the full post win8.1

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 90
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 15:47

"I would not consider services.msc a "normal user interactive method" since regular users don't use it."

And is there an API or command line way of doing that?  Like there is with net stop service?  Or quick edit to the registry?

What is meant by normal user interactive is a way for a non elevated or even elevated account to be able to turn off the application without have to manipulate windows or screens..  If a normal account can send say a net stop command, or even a elevated account net stop antivirusservice -- that would not be good ;)  Or manipulate a simple reg key with a simple command

It is more than the OP that does not understand this basic concept?

#17 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 26 October 2013 - 15:57

Windows 8.1 isn't Windows XP, you can't just simply turn things off even with being the admin. You have to go through the proper channels like +BudMan is saying.

Heck, there's some services you can't disable at all anymore, UAC for example, is not able to be disabled at all. 

#18 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 26 October 2013 - 15:57

In a way I like that they are taking away the ability to easily administer computers, but it does make it slightly more difficult being that I have to google how to do something...No way in windows 8 to delete a wireless profile by point and click, cli only

netsh wlan show profiles

netsh wlan delete profile name="wlan profile name"

#19 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 October 2013 - 18:50

In a way I like that they are taking away the ability to easily administer computers, but it does make it slightly more difficult being that I have to google how to do something...No way in windows 8 to delete a wireless profile by point and click, cli only

netsh wlan show profiles

netsh wlan delete profile name="wlan profile name"

I don't have a win8 machine that has wireless to test this myself, but are you saying they removed "manage wireless networks" from the network and sharing center? If so that is pretty ridiculous indeed. I do tech support for an ISP and removing saved profiles can often solve certain wireless issues.

Have you checked to see if it can be done via metro's "PC settings" screen? Maybe they moved it there.

#20 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2013 - 19:11

You should test it yourself.

#21 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 October 2013 - 19:50

You should test it yourself.

I would, but I don't have access to a windows 8 machine that has wireless atm, so manage wireless networks wouldn't show for me either way.

#22 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2013 - 19:53

If you have Windows 8 try to setup a wireless connection manually.

#23 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2013 - 20:13

Helpful advice is telling people not to circumvent antimalware software.

#24 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 26 October 2013 - 20:51

Windows 8.1 isn't Windows XP, you can't just simply turn things off even with being the admin. You have to go through the proper channels like +BudMan is saying.

Heck, there's some services you can't disable at all anymore, UAC for example, is not able to be disabled at all.

Off topic, but I really like your signature. Looks very nice, modern, and the colors are pleasing.