My predictions for Windows 8.2 (if that's what is next)

Here is my prediction for Windows 8.2, if that is the next Windows after Windows 8.2

More settings will be moved into Modern

More basic Windows programs like paint will be put into Modern

The clock on the taskbar will be eliminated in favor of the clock when you bring up the charms bar.

A new default desktop theme will be introduced

A lot of apps will be refreshed.

More improvements for the start screen will be added like personalization etc

Windows Media Player may be eliminated in favor of the Xbox Videos and Xbox Music (I hope not)

The battery and volume taskbar quick settings will be 'modernized' like the wifi is already

Or......GULP

the desktop will be totally hidden in the next version of Windows but desktop apps will continue to work but in a full screen type way.

These are just my predictions of course, and the next Windows could be anyone's guess.

I'd much rather they allow metro apps to run in windowed mode on the desktop, and integrate metro apps into the superbar, and integrate the superbar into the start screen so we don't have to deal with such inconsistent task management between desktop and metro apps.

There is already a 8.2 'predictions' thread, we don't need another one.

I created this thread to share "my predictions" for 8.2, not to ask everyone "what is your predictions".

• Like 1

I doubt they'll update the desktop theme as they are slowly getting rid of the desktop. :/

I think Microsoft will keep the desktop but will take out the taskbar and keep the windows for the x86/64 programs. The desktop background will be a solid color like the start screen. The desktop will not be able to be launched like previously also.  If this were to happen, I will consider holding onto Windows 8.1 until support is killed.

I think Microsoft will keep the desktop but will take out the taskbar and keep the windows for the x86/64 programs. The background will be a solid color like the start screen. The desktop will not be able to be launched like previously also. If this were to happen, I will consider holding onto Windows 8.1 until support is killed.

I would hope not, but you are probably right as a lot of the Control Panel settings were moved to the Modern Ul with Windows 8.1.

Desktop is not going away however i can see moving all Windows preinstalled apps to Metro by removing Paint, Word Pad, Calc and other apps and replacing them with Metro apps. I believe even Windows Media Player is gone in Windows 8.2. There will be only Desktop left and also very likely all options from control panel moved to PC Settings, so control panel will be gone as well. 

Also very possible that System, Device and other settings will be gone from desktop and found in PC Settings.

Bottom line Windows 8.2 would be further optimisations, cleaning system from anything desktop related, desktop itself will stay there for time being. 

The desktop will go further towards the cmd shell/PowerShell and become less and less useful for regular users. Eventually it'll become less useful than the cmd shell for us techies too. I wonder if MS is working on a Modern UI version of Visual Studio? That'd be interesting to see...

I created this thread to share "my predictions" for 8.2, not to ask everyone "what is your predictions".

Then why not just post your predictions in that topic. . . ?

The desktop will go further towards the cmd shell/PowerShell and become less and less useful for regular users.

I think you mean EVEN LESS people will buy windows 8, and will continue to use a proper operating system like Windows 7.

Sounds like what you want is a daringfireball.com type blog with no commenting, then. A discussion forum post will get the predictions of others...

• 1 month later...