• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 26 October 2013 - 22:19

Against my better judgement, I decided to finally take the plunge and upgrade to Windows 8.

I chose to upgrade as I just did a clean install of 8 less than 2 weeks ago, and really as of right now only had the essentials installed.

Well, I have the following issues, and hoping people can point me in the right direction.

• Java Keeps crashing.

I need it for Universal Media Server which is the app I have always used to stream movies to my PS3 and 360. Everytime I try to run UMS, Java SE Runtime crashes, looks online for a solution, and finds nothing. I know people are super anti Java, that is fine for your needs. I use it, and would like it to work if possible.

I did try to reinstall Java. No luck. Should I uninstall it completely?

• No Sound coming out the speakers.

I have a Creative XiFi Fatality Platinum sound card. Sound control panel is pointing towards it. Mixer shows the system is recognizing sound. Yet nothing is coming out. Going to try reinstalling the Creative Software, have yet to try that.

• Logitech Software Not Working

I have both a Logitech Mouse & Keyboard, and the software loaded once upon a restart, but I have not seen it again since I restarted multiple times. 

So does anyone know what I can do to fix the above? I am off to Google it all myself, but figure I would post this prior to doing so as I am sure some people know the answers to the above.

TIA, DL

#2 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 26 October 2013 - 23:49

Update

Uninstalled Logitech.

No changes in anything else.

Uninstalled Java.

Sound worked.

Installed an app called Servio to stream my movies as read it was a good alternative to UMS, turns out it also required Java, so it reinstalled Java (Version 6 I believe it said), once again Java is working.

So Universal Media Server is also working.

Sound still not working.

Device Manager reports it is using an older driver then what Creative website says it should be.

Going to uninstall and reinstall Creative drivers eventually, maybe tonight, probably tomorrow.

Hoping that resolves sound issues.

Also have yet to try Logitech Software again, as read a lot of people have issues on 8.1.

#3 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 26 October 2013 - 23:58

I had a few problems too, with stuff no longer working.

Reinstalling apps/drivers over the top of the previous install didn't work, where uninstalling first solved the problem.

Think there was a warning during the setup that mentioned we might have to do this.

#4 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2013 - 00:23

Did you check compatibility issues before upgrading?

#5 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 27 October 2013 - 13:21

I had a few problems too, with stuff no longer working.

Reinstalling apps/drivers over the top of the previous install didn't work, where uninstalling first solved the problem.

Think there was a warning during the setup that mentioned we might have to do this.

Thanks, this is basically what it took, uninstalling completely, then installing the same exact driver version, which is just stupid IMHO. No new drivers, same exact ones.

I have Logitech back working.

Java is installed even though I think it is an older version, not sure.

Still have yet to try installing Creative as I finally got my sound working in a consistent manner without their drivers.

I find a thread on some forum with someone who had the same exact issue as me with their Creative XiFi.

It works initially, but if you restart, it no longer works.

Only way to get it to work again is to go to Device Manager, remove the device, restart, then it works.

Restart again, it stops working.

So I think something is up with Creative's drivers.

I am sticking with the default driver for now I guess. 

May give it one more shot with their drivers.

Did you check compatibility issues before upgrading?

Did I check if devices that worked no issues under Windows 8 had any compatibility issues in 8.1? I checked if any of my devices had a new driver for 8.1. None did at all.

#6 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 October 2013 - 13:36

In general I always reinstall software when doing an upgrade for the simple fact that the installer might enable some otherwise disabled stuff which the old OS didn't support. To avoid having to reinstall 50 apps though I do the clean install which helps me get rid of stuff that I haven't used in a while as well.

With that said seems you got mostly everything working but for Java i'd expect a complete uninstall/reinstall at min. I'm sure it stores some files in the Windows directory which is now called Windows.OLD so the runtime would fail when it can no longer find it's files.

So while you technically did an upgrade, you are basically on a clean install. Your Users Folder (includes desktop and settings and all that) wasn't changed and some settings from the registry were copied but yeah, you're still on a clean install again except with data already lingering around.

#7 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 27 October 2013 - 13:39

Internet Explorer 11 disabled my Java in Windows 8.1. Is there a new version of Java out that fixes it?

#8 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 27 October 2013 - 13:58

Okay, I can absolutely confirm the Creative Drivers suck.

I did a complete uninstall, restarted, Windows installed default sound driver.

Restarted, default sound driver still there. Sound working.

Decide to try Creative Drivers one more time (this is the 3rd time now with a complete uninstall).

Works after I install and restart.

They do not work after a restart.

They just do not work.

On default sound drivers for now, which kind of sucks, no advanced options at all for my sound.

Logitech Gaming Software seems to work when it wants to. That is also after a complete uninstall. Complete.

It works some times, others it does not. The times it does not work, it is like the software is not even there on my computer. I find it under Search, but if I go to open it, nothing happens.

Right now it is working though, so I just will not restart (which I actually do not do very often to begin with).

So it appears Logitech & Creative need to step it up and get some drivers that either A) work at all or B) consistently work.

I did not even mention the fact that choosing Upgrade apparently forced me to now use my MS account. Even though I chose Customize on install, my local account is no longer an option, I now am tied into my MS account to log on to my computer. Not happy about that at all.  :angry:

#9 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 27 October 2013 - 14:16

my logitech software is forking fine with my g110 have not had any issues, i also updated the software via logitech software also

#10 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

Posted 27 October 2013 - 14:18

I did a complete uninstall, restarted, Windows installed default sound driver.

Restarted, default sound driver still there. Sound working.

Decide to try Creative Drivers one more time (this is the 3rd time now with a complete uninstall).

Works after I install and restart.

They do not work after a restart.

They just do not work.

On default sound drivers for now, which kind of sucks, no advanced options at all for my sound.

Logitech Gaming Software seems to work when it wants to. That is also after a complete uninstall. Complete.

It works some times, others it does not. The times it does not work, it is like the software is not even there on my computer. I find it under Search, but if I go to open it, nothing happens.

Right now it is working though, so I just will not restart (which I actually do not do very often to begin with).

So it appears Logitech & Creative need to step it up and get some drivers that either A) work at all or B) consistently work.

I did not even mention the fact that choosing Upgrade apparently forced me to now use my MS account. Even though I chose Customize on install, my local account is no longer an option, I now am tied into my MS account to log on to my computer. Not happy about that at all.  :angry:

Creative has always had driver issues. You're lucky you have sound. Logitech will most likely fix things soon.

Disconnect your Microsoft account if you want to switch back to a local account, it takes under a minute. Type 'account' at start, it's the first one that pops up.

#11 Neu B

Neu B

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2013 - 14:19

Go to your account settings and disconnect from your MS account. It will make you sign into a local account.

Booooooo....JoeUser beat me to it haha

Booooooo....I misspelled Joe USer :-P

#12 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:08

Go to your account settings and disconnect from your MS account. It will make you sign into a local account.

Booooooo....JoeUser beat me to it haha

Booooooo....I misspelled Joe USer :-P

Actually, it's supposed to be Joe User, but back in 1985 my shift key broke and it became Joe USer. The typo stuck around....for about 29 years. (The lesson here is always fix your typos)

#13 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:25

I haven't been able to install Creative drivers since Vista. They didn't work for me on Seven (the first x64 OS I ran full time), and they still don't work for me on Eight. I gave up on them and defaulted to Windows' built in drivers. 

#14 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:36

Creative drivers do suck. I would recommend looking at Daniel K's drivers. http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/

#15 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 October 2013 - 16:07

Creative drivers do suck. I would recommend looking at Daniel K's drivers. http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/

Are they trustworthy? 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!