• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,379 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 26 October 2013 - 23:02

As some of you may know one of the services Neowin offers is an IRC server. The back room of Neowin, where you can experience Neowinians how they really are - for better or for worse. The rules on Neowin IRC are less strict than on the forum; some may consider this a positive, others might find the tone of conversation problematic. But I digress - this topic is not about what is going on there, but rather how to connect to the IRC server.

My Windows IRC client of choice is HexChat, hence why the screenshots below are taken from it. The configuration steps are similar for other IRC clients.

Step 1: Choose your IRC nickname.

Click on the 'More' tab on the top of the forum, then select 'Chat' from the list. Or click this link: http://www.neowin.net/irc/ . There you'll find some basic information about how Neowin IRC is set up, and a form to choose your IRC nick name. 

Step 2: Open HexChat.

The server list will appear:

HexChat 1.PNG

Step 3: Add Neowin to the server list

Click on the 'Add' button. Name the new network (whether it's 'Neowin' or 'Neobond's dark room' is fully up to you).

HexChat 2.PNG

Step 4: Edit the details

Select the newly created network from the list, then click on 'Edit'. The following window will appear:

HexChat 3.PNG

Fill in your details - server address, nickname, login method, encoding. The result is this:

HexChat 4.PNG

Step 5: Connect

Close the window above, select Neowin IRC in the server list and click connect. You will be automatically connected to the channels you have access to.

HexChat 5.PNG

That's all there is to it. Happy IRC-ing!

#2 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,545 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 18:11

Thanks for posting, Mephi. I remember fiddling around with it when I first started chatting (as it is different than most other channels), but didn't think to document the process. Good write-up!

Come join us, folks, if you dare >=)

#3 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• 3,667 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 20:21

Gosh, it's been a few years since I've last used IRC. Might have to consider this at some point. :p

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,020 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 29 October 2013 - 20:26

i have been using the same client and it works out well for me. It would be nice if some point neowin hosted a java client or something on the website that you just sign into and it will work for you :D

#5 Caleo

Caleo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,825 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:22

Come, hang out. We could use some new blood in #neowin