Two Routers - VPN and Regular Connection

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:25

Alright, so when it comes to networking, if it doesn't work when I plug it in, I'm on struggle street.

Basically, I am using ExpressVPN.  I have a wireless modem/router, which is a crappy ISP issued thing, and a Netgear N300, capable of using PPTP.

How do I go about connecting to the VPN, only when I want to?  Is it possible to run them both side by side and connect to router 1 when I want my regular non VPN connecting, and router two when I want VPN access?

#2 SaltLife

SaltLife

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:43

of course you can connect to one or the other
or put your modem in bridged mode temporarily (if it supports it, if not its a little more cumbersome)
or phone up your ISP and have them disable the wireless/router capabilities on their device so it acts like a traditional modem

of course there may be better options

#3 SaltLife

SaltLife

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:45

if its Comcast or a cable based I know the should be able too on those arris/technicolor devices they use.. if its like uverse or DSL I don't know..

#4 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:49

It is a technicolor device, but issued by Telstra Australia.

I know it can be done.  But I don't know how.  If I disable to the modem, I have no Internet?

#5 SaltLife

SaltLife

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:16

no, you're disabling the router aspect of the modem. your isp can disable it so it acts like a traditional modem. if they are reluctant to do so or you can't persuade them let them know that you want a standard DOCSIS 3.0 modem because of your network requirement and not a residential gateway...

#6 SaltLife

SaltLife

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:17

FYI it's not user definable so you won't see the option. they block settings but it can be done.

#7 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:40

Don't I still need that to work though?

I want to be able to use PC with no VPN, while using xbox with VPN.

#8 SaltLife

SaltLife

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:12

no.. you have your own personal router that you are using on top of the TC, no?..

okay looked up that router but that model number suggest that it is for DSL? If you are running a double NAT you will run into issues

what is your current setup? even with just the TC only your VPN software should work. are you trying to connect to an external resource or have something connect to your network?

#9 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:32

I don't know what half of that message means, but here's what I have.

Technicolor providing Internet, and Wifi to devices around the house.  Australian connection

Netgear WNR2200 with DDWRT

The problem I'm running into, I need OpenVPN.  But all the guides I'm looking at are either too old and no relevant, or I'm just way too stupid.  DDWRT's guide is a pain, because it tells you to check about 4 other websites for guides for other things that confuses me even more.

If I can get openVPN working on this stupid thing, I should be able to sort the rest. 

#10 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:26

Can someone suggest a service that doesn't suck, and can help me make this work. 

Really learning to appreciate people who know their ###### with networks, cause this stuff sucks.

#11 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 100
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 16:27

The correct way to do with would be policy routing..

http://www.dd-wrt.co...y_Based_Routing

Does you netgear support dd-wrt? Do you have a box you can run a routing distro with, pfsense can do this very simple. Be in a VM or native on the box?

If you want to do with with netgear and dd-wrt, I would suggest you contact your isp and have them bridge your device, no reason to double nat. But can work with it if needed.

If you can put dd-wrt on your netgear let me know and we can walk through that option, or if you can run say pfsense as your router that too works.

Or other options - does your xbox need to talk to the rest of your network.. Or can it just be accessing just the internet through the vpn connection?

with policy based routing everything would be on 1 network, with another way to do actually be easier with another router and you would double nat to different routers - if you don't care if xbox is on your current network can do fairly simple with what you have.

notgoodway.png

#12 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 27 October 2013 - 16:38

Hello,

Does you netgear support dd-wrt?

Since you have helped me countless times, I looked up his Netgear N300 and it seems to support DD-WRT.

http://www.dd-wrt.co...etgear_WNR3500L

From this page: http://synacl.wordpr...-n300-wnr3500l/ It seems the N300 and the WNR35001 are the same so it should support it.

I highly suggest sticking with your DD-WRT router and then from then on, read and do BudMan's advice :p

#13 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:05

I have DDWRT on the netgear router, and it's working great.  It doesn't have OpenVPN however.

#14 OP Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:07

Does you netgear support dd-wrt? Do you have a box you can run a routing distro with, pfsense can do this very simple. Be in a VM or native on the box?

If you want to do with with netgear and dd-wrt, I would suggest you contact your isp and have them bridge your device, no reason to double nat. But can work with it if needed.

If you can put dd-wrt on your netgear let me know and we can walk through that option, or if you can run say pfsense as your router that too works.

Or other options - does your xbox need to talk to the rest of your network.. Or can it just be accessing just the internet through the vpn connection?

with policy based routing everything would be on 1 network, with another way to do actually be easier with another router and you would double nat to different routers - if you don't care if xbox is on your current network can do fairly simple with what you have.

attachicon.gifnotgoodway.png

Just on that.  I don't have a way of connecting by computer via ethernet to the router, unless the router is connected via wireless.

#15 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:51

attachicon.gifnotgoodway.png

What software do you use for you diagrams?