How the hell do you print from Android?

Sorry for my frustration, but I would have thought PRINTING would be a pretty basic function, one to be included with Android OS, but apparently not!  

My mom has a Motorola Xoom tablet.  She just wants to be able to print recipes, or coupons, or flight tickets, etc, to her wireless printer.  If she finds the recipe/coupon/whatever on her Windows PC, all she has to do is click 'print'.  That's it.  It prints.  If she's on her Android tablet, well I don't know what the f*ck she's supposed to do.

I've tried setting up Google Cloud Print.  But there's a major flaw with it; it requires the Google Print Connector to be running on a PC at all times, and that Google Chrome is signed in to the proper account.  Well my brother set up the Google Cloud using his Google account, which means my mom can't access those printers.  Not to mention the fact that I occasionally use this same computer, and sign in to my Google account.   That means that every time she wants to print from her tablet, she has to turn on the PC, and sign in to Google chrome, just to be able to use the "convenient" cloud print.

So the printer is an HP printer, so I tried HP's ePrint app.  But it doesn't actually let you "share" anything to the printer.  You have to print files directly from the app.  That means you can't just take a picture, and press "share to ePrint".  You have to manually load the picture in ePrint.  Oh it HAS a "share to ePrint" feature, it just doesn't work at all.  Try and share a JPG to it, and it says "invalid file type".  But it can load the exact same JPG itself.

So is there anyone here who has successfully managed to print from their Android, without hassle?

One usually doesn't associate printing with phones or tablets, in large part because once you have a portable device, you have less need for paper. But it still occasionally comes in handy.

You can print directly from an Android device with the right Wi-Fi or Bluetooth printer. However, as I don't like to give advice that involves spending large sums of money, I'm going to tell you how to do it with whatever printer you already own.

The only expenses will be paper and ink.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027751/answer-line-how-to-print-from-android.html

http://www.techhive.com/article/212203/how_to_print_from_android.html

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-10272545-251.html

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-topics/mobile-printing/how-to-print-mobile-devices-android.html

One usually doesn't associate printing with phones or tablets, in large part because once you have a portable device, you have less need for paper. But it still occasionally comes in handy.

You can print directly from an Android device with the right Wi-Fi or Bluetooth printer. However, as I don't like to give advice that involves spending large sums of money, I'm going to tell you how to do it with whatever printer you already own.

The only expenses will be paper and ink.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027751/answer-line-how-to-print-from-android.html

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-10272545-251.html

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-topics/mobile-printing/how-to-print-mobile-devices-android.html

Okay, the first link is telling people to use Google Cloud print.  I went over that already.  It's broken.

The third link is instructions on HP's ePrint service.  I talked about that too, its broken as well.

So my only option is to have a print sharing service installed on a PC, and then leave that PC running 24/7?  Well what the hell is the point of having a wireless printer then?

Okay, the first link is telling people to use Google Cloud print.  I went over that already.  It's broken.

The third link is instructions on HP's ePrint service.  I talked about that too, its broken as well.

So my only option is to have a print sharing service installed on a PC, and then leave that PC running 24/7?  Well what the hell is the point of having a wireless printer then?

I'm with you, it's retarded.

You don't have to leave it on all the time...   you can turn it off when not in use...

I have a wireless printer... it is not in use ATM.

When I want to print something.. I turn the printer on and print it out... then turn it off.

At least you are able to print wirelessly anywhere in the house.

You don't have to leave it on all the time...   you can turn it off when not in use...

I have a wireless printer... it is not in use ATM.

When I want to print something.. I turn the printer on and print it out... then turn it off.

At least you are able to print wirelessly anywhere in the house.

Not the printer, the computer.  I do leave my printer turned off, because it turns itself on when it receives something to print.  I meant I'd have to leave the computer CONNECTED TO the printer running at all times, which makes having a wifi printer redundant, since it may as well be wired to the wireless computer.  And sure, I could turn the computer off when I'm not printing, as long as I don't mind waiting 5 minutes for it to boot up every time I DO want to print.

So I tried PrinterShare, the 2nd link that Hum linked to.  It costs money.  The free version only lets you print a test page.  Why would such a basic feature cost money?!

I believe the entire point of having a tablet is so you don't need to print.  Just carry the tablet.  Airlines - you can board any plane in the US via your e-pass (either on phone, tablet, or printed).  You can use store coupons the exact same way.  Recipes?  Turn on the tablet, follow the directions - just like you would from a printed page.

Not the printer, the computer.  I do leave my printer turned off, because it turns itself on when it receives something to print.  I meant I'd have to leave the computer CONNECTED TO the printer running at all times, which makes having a wifi printer redundant, since it may as well be wired to the wireless computer.  And sure, I could turn the computer off when I'm not printing, as long as I don't mind waiting 5 minutes for it to boot up every time I DO want to print.

So I tried PrinterShare, the 2nd link that Hum linked to.  It costs money.  The free version only lets you print a test page.  Why would such a basic feature cost money?!

If you are that paranoid.. turn the printer off completely...    nothing is wrong with it... many people are using this format anyway... we are going into the future which everything will be computerized ...

If you don't want that way... then you use desktop PC and printer that connected via wired...  so you don't have to worry about it.   you print on that PC with wired printer...

You have the assumption that printing should be an in-built feature on tablets, but that isn't the case. If the paid software seems to do the job, just buy it. Problem solved!

Check the pointless defense in this topic :|

Printing should be a default feature of all consumer OSs. Fact?.

Check the pointless defense in this topic :|

Printing should be a default feature of all consumer OSs. Fact?.

Google Cloud printing works just fine for me.

Even if Google made it an OS feature, you would have to wait for printer manufacturers to build ARM drivers for the printers.

I don't see them jumping on a VERY niche market demand.

Not to mention the fact that I occasionally use this same computer, and sign in to my Google account.   That means that every time she wants to print from her tablet, she has to turn on the PC, and sign in to Google chrome, just to be able to use the "convenient" cloud print.

If that was the only problem you could create several profiles in chrome and keep your mom's always open and minimized. Maybe you could even add that chrome profile to the start apps do she doesn't even have to lauch the browser and sign in, just turn the computer on.

HP's printers with ePrint support shouldn't need a computer with Chrome though. I don't have a printer so I can't try, but can't you associate your @hpeprint address with several Google accounts so different users can print from different devices? It'd certainly suck if you couldn't.

Who wants to go to a sports game with a tablet when you can just print out the tickets instead of having to lug around a tablet the entire time?

I believe the entire point of having a tablet is so you don't need to print.  Just carry the tablet.  Airlines - you can board any plane in the US via your e-pass (either on phone, tablet, or printed).  You can use store coupons the exact same way.  Recipes?  Turn on the tablet, follow the directions - just like you would from a printed page.

Who wants to go to a sports game with a tablet when you can just print out the tickets instead of having to lug around a tablet the entire time?

Then use a smartphone.

Printing only works if compatible software exists. In Apple's case, they use AirPrint which is proprietary and anyone using it pays the Apple license fee which is WiFiDirect altered.

Printing to a wireless printer requires a software abstraction layer which then talks to the printer. It also doesn't help that most apps aren't designed with a print option in the GUI unless it's specifically for that. There is software:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=print&c=apps

which HP, Lexmark, Kyocera and all the others have APPs for so use the one that's for your device.

This was one of the many reasons why I sold my Android tablet and got a Windows tablet. My Asus Vivotab RT automatically installed my wireless Epson printer and I can now print anything. My now sold Acer Iconia A500 felt more like giant smartphone and lacked many things that were kind of essential most especially printing.

Sorry for my frustration, but I would have thought PRINTING would be a pretty basic function, one to be included with Android OS, but apparently not!  

My mom has a Motorola Xoom tablet.  She just wants to be able to print recipes, or coupons, or flight tickets, etc, to her wireless printer.  If she finds the recipe/coupon/whatever on her Windows PC, all she has to do is click 'print'.  That's it.  It prints.  If she's on her Android tablet, well I don't know what the f*ck she's supposed to do.

I've tried setting up Google Cloud Print.  But there's a major flaw with it; it requires the Google Print Connector to be running on a PC at all times, and that Google Chrome is signed in to the proper account.  Well my brother set up the Google Cloud using his Google account, which means my mom can't access those printers.  Not to mention the fact that I occasionally use this same computer, and sign in to my Google account.   That means that every time she wants to print from her tablet, she has to turn on the PC, and sign in to Google chrome, just to be able to use the "convenient" cloud print.

So the printer is an HP printer, so I tried HP's ePrint app.  But it doesn't actually let you "share" anything to the printer.  You have to print files directly from the app.  That means you can't just take a picture, and press "share to ePrint".  You have to manually load the picture in ePrint.  Oh it HAS a "share to ePrint" feature, it just doesn't work at all.  Try and share a JPG to it, and it says "invalid file type".  But it can load the exact same JPG itself.

So is there anyone here who has successfully managed to print from their Android, without hassle?

Android doesn't have built in print support like iOS, so it's messy. However if you have an hp with ePrint the solution is simple, use the mail print function, then just email it whatever you want to print. You can give it whatever email address you want for simplicity not the cryptic default one.

Then use a smartphone.

Well, yeah.. I was replying to the guy who said to lug a tablet around. Phones aren't the greatest either... I've been in plenty of terminals waiting to board a plane and someone is holding up the line because their phone screen is too dirty, dim, screen protector too shiny, the app crashes etc...

However if you have an hp with ePrint the solution is simple, use the mail print function, then just email it whatever you want to print. You can give it whatever email address you want for simplicity not the cryptic default one.

Not having a printer I've never had to deal with that, but I think Google Cloud Print manages HP's ePrint mail printing so you can "share" instead of manually mailing stuff (not sure if that's what you meant).

You'd just have to register your printer's mail here.

Because 99.99% of the people go to a sports game with their cell phone.  Purchase the ticket on your tablet, share/send it to your phone or look up your account on the phone.  Present the barcode.

I have a tablet, cell, laptop and PC.  I haven't used my printer but once in nearly 6 years.  And that was to print a ticket out as a gift.  And, even for that I could have sent it electronically.  But it's more personal to hand it to someone.

My wife uses her Motorola Xoom and the cloud print service with our Wireless Canon printer. I also use it with my Nexus 7. If any family call they seem to be able to also use it fine with their iPhones.

No PC needs to be on as the wireless printer interfaces with Google services / Apple airprint.

I use an app for my Android phone, same as my wife and the tablets we own.

All seems to work fine with no issues.

The printer has to be connected to the router using WPS for it to then interface to the could / Airprint services and thus function without any PC etc being connected or switched on, at least it does for me.

That's because you have a "cloud enabled" wifi printer.  I have a regular plain old wifi printer, before the age of fluffy white internet clouds.

If you are that paranoid.. turn the printer off completely...    nothing is wrong with it... many people are using this format anyway... we are going into the future which everything will be computerized ...

If you don't want that way... then you use desktop PC and printer that connected via wired...  so you don't have to worry about it.   you print on that PC with wired printer...

It's not an issue of paranoia.  It's reliability, and power consumption.  I'm now relying on another intermediary computer to be on and working, in order to print.

If that was the only problem you could create several profiles in chrome and keep your mom's always open and minimized. Maybe you could even add that chrome profile to the start apps do she doesn't even have to lauch the browser and sign in, just turn the computer on.

HP's printers with ePrint support shouldn't need a computer with Chrome though. I don't have a printer so I can't try, but can't you associate your @hpeprint address with several Google accounts so different users can print from different devices? It'd certainly suck if you couldn't.

I tried ePrint, but like I said, I couldn't get it to work at all.  It worked fine if I opened the image or website in ePrint's built in image browser/web browser, but if I was just surfing the web in Chrome, or I got an image in a text, and then I clicked "share to... ePrint", ePrint would go "invalid file type, please go f*ck yourself" or something like that.  Even if it was just a plain old jpeg, that ePrint had no trouble loading itself.

I ended up settling on PrinterShare.  It was the only one I could get working.  And as an added bonus, it does actually try to talk directly to the printer over WiFi, without requiring the intermediary computer's server to be running, but it only works like 50% of the time.  But then I can just connect to the PrinterShare server running on my laptop in the event I need to.