• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,242 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 28 October 2013 - 15:29

"Just reboot" is fine if you only have a problem that happens once in a million years, but if you need to get to the real cause so you can devise a plan to fix it, rebooting will probably just get rid of the evidence that you need to be able to pinpoint the exact source of the problem.

That's how I feel. Rebooting is a last resort for me. I want to find out what the problem is, what is causing it, and how to prevent it from happening again instead of just rebooting to make it go away.

#17 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 15:32

I have had Windows 7 and 8 freeze on rare occasions and had to force shutdown my computer manually. I usually reboot when drivers are installed or a program

It's better to figure out what is causing it to freeze than to reboot. 

#18 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• 3,082 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 15:59

"Try setting it on fire"

#19 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,471 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 16:05

I'm in IT. I almost always suggest rebooting first. 95% of the time it works and they go on their merry way. Saves a lot of hassle! If it keeps recurring or the problem is still around after the restart, then it's time to diagnose, but at least I have a 'clean palette' to work with.

#20 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 1,832 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 16:12

I'm in IT. I almost always suggest rebooting first. 95% of the time it works and they go on their merry way. Saves a lot of hassle! If it keeps recurring or the problem is still around after the restart, then it's time to diagnose, but at least I have a 'clean palette' to work with.

Another one is Safe Mode.

I used to get a lot of flack from customers back when I did tech support.  They thought that if it worked in Safe Mode that it meant that I was done with them.

No...it just gives you a place to start looking, especially if the problem isn't in Safe Mode.  People are very resistant to trying safe mode for some reason.

#21 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,292 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 18:48

this reminds me the firsts episodes of IT Crowd where Roy had a tape recording of usual IT solutions like "is it turned on?" and "just do a reboot" and so on and played that whenever a costumer telephoned him for help... :woot: :laugh:

#22 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,187 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 19:06

Windows D.A.R.T disk (part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack)

Nice set of tools, including ability to reset the local administration (not roaming profile) account on a windows machine.

http://www.microsoft.../mdop/dart.aspx

#23 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,866 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 20:03

Personally, I think this is old school advice. I'm not sure it's relevant anymore. I can't tell you the last time I had to reboot to fix a problem.

I still see it work for a lot of things.

I just had this experience with a new TV.

I couldn't get any brightness, the second time I turned it on.

'Rebooting' cleared the problem right up.

Still I wonder what exactly causes the need for a reboot in the first place ...

And I have enjoyed some of the surprising responses in this topic -- I learned more than just what the article said. ;)

#24 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 1,832 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 20:04

I still see it work for a lot of things.

I just had this experience with a new TV.

I couldn't get any brightness, the second time I turned it on.

'Rebooting' cleared the problem right up.

Still I wonder what exactly causes the need for a reboot in the first place ...

Imminent hardware failure.

#25 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,210 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 20:10

i have to let my wife read this, because when ever her phone or computer or the internet connection is screwy, i always tell her to reboot it to see if that clears it up, and then look for a problem if not......

she never believes me until after it's back on and working!   ugh

#26 +AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,508 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 October 2013 - 20:35

It depends, is fixing the issue at hand more important  vs taking the time with research, diagnose, to find out the real cause. 

With most places, time is money, and if a reboot fixes it, and the issue's not common, or frequently occurring, places don't want to spend the money for that level of troubleshooting. 

Not many places will do the engineering level work to remove all bugs and prevent them from happening again or determining who's at fault. 

I suspect Nasa, Military, Military contractors do more of the latter. 

I think there's a fairly obvious difference between troubleshooting someone's home computer or "gadget" as the article says and asking them to reboot to try to fix the issue and debugging an issue in server or in code that most of us are able to understand. I certainly don't think this article was aimed at IT professionals maintaining live servers or developers debugging code. As such I thought it was a little odd that it was even posted here in the first place.

Then again, rebooting frequently doesn't disturb any logs or other events you may want to check to determine the actual cause of the issue. There are a lot of times I'd reboot to get the server running again, THEN diagnose what caused the problem. Of course, a competent IT person should be able to determine their best course of action on a per case basis. Like you said, it depends.

#27 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 23:47

I guess I am spoiled. We rarely have any issues at work that require rebooting. I really can't remember the last time we had an issue.

I sure don't any problems at home. My wife's iPhone and my Note 2 runs for weeks without rebooting. Our Chromebooks the same. Same for my desktop running Linux. I guess all this rebooting is a Windows thing?

#28 ShockD

ShockD

Antagonist

• 321 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 23:49

Never really understood the magic behind the reboot/reset. Yet it always proves to be the best fixing action for just about any type of electronics.

#29 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,471 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 23:56

I guess I am spoiled. We rarely have any issues at work that require rebooting. I really can't remember the last time we had an issue.

I sure don't any problems at home. My wife's iPhone and my Note 2 runs for weeks without rebooting. Our Chromebooks the same. Same for my desktop running Linux. I guess all this rebooting is a Windows thing?

Almost definitely a Windows thing. But I don't see us deploying Linux to these thousand or so corporate users any time soon :laugh:

#30 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,511 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 29 October 2013 - 00:12

Reboot is a quick fix, but most of the time the problem will return. It's better to find the root of the problem and fix that so it doesn't happen again.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!