• This topic is locked This topic is locked
231 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,366 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:39

We should have the 2014 driver discussion in a separate thread. The list below has been blatantly copied from Chasethebase's post in the Official F1 World Championship 2013 thread. :p

Red Bull Racing
Red Bull Racing RB9 – Renault Energy F1-2014
Team Principal: Christian Horner; Technical Director: Adrian Newey
1. Sebastian Vettel
3. Daniel Ricciardo

Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team
Mercedes F1 W04 – Mercedes TBA
Team Principal: Ross Brawn ; Technical Director: Toto Wolff
44. Lewis Hamilton
6. Nico Rosberg

Scuderia Ferrari
Ferrari F138 – Ferrari 059/3
Team Principal: Stefano Domenicali ; Technical Director: Pat Fry

14. Fernando Alonso
7. Kimi Räikkönen

Lotus F1 Team
Lotus E21 – TBA
Team Principal: Eric Boullier ; Technical Director: Nick Chester
8. Romain Grosjean
13. Pastor Maldonado

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
McLaren MP4-28 – Mercedes TBA
Team Principal: Martin Whitmarsh ; Technical Director: Tim Goss, Neil Oatley
22. Jenson Button
20. Kevin Magnussen

Sahara Force India F1 Team
Force India VJM06 – Mercedes TBA
Team Principal: Vijay Mallya ; Technical Director: Andrew Green
27. Nico Hulkenberg
11. Sergio Perez

Sauber F1 Team
Sauber C32 – Ferrari 059/3
Team Principal: Monisha Kaltenborn ; Technical Director: James Key
99. Adrian Sutil
21. Esteban Gutierrez

Scuderia Toro Rosso
Toro Rosso STR8 – Renault Energy F1-2014
Team Principal: Franz Tost ; Technical Director: James Key
25. Jean-Éric Vergne
26. Daniil Kvyat

Williams
Williams FW35 – Mercedes TBA
Team Principal: Sir Frank Williams ; Technical Director: Pat Symonds

19. Felipe Massa

77. Valterri Bottas

Marussia F1 Team
Marussia MR02 – Ferrari 059/3
Team Principal: John Booth ; Technical Director: ?
17. Jules Bianchi
4. Max Chilton

Caterham F1 Team
Caterham CT03 – Renault Energy F1-2014
Team Principal: Cyril Abiteboul ; Technical Director: Mark Smith
10. Kamui Kobayashi

9. Marcus Ericsson

#2 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,366 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:41

Pastor Maldonado set for Williams F1 exit

Pastor Maldonado and his PDVSA backers are in the final stages of talks that will secure their exit from Williams, and clear the way for Felipe Massa's arrival.

After weeks of speculation about the future of the Venezuelan driver, who has endured a troubled time at Williams this year, high-level sources have revealed he will be racing elsewhere next season.

Although it is understood a deal to leave Williams has not yet been finalised, it is anticipated that matters will be resolved imminently to allow Maldonado to sign a contract elsewhere.

Maldonado has already held 2014 talks with Lotus, Sauber and Force India, with the £20 million per season backing of the oil company a major attraction.

His hopes of a Lotus deal rest on the team not pulling off an investment deal with Quantum Motorsports as that tie-up would provide the outfit with the financial means to secure its preferred option of Nico Hulkenberg.

The other teams are in no rush to finalise their plans, and are now awaiting confirmation from Maldonado that he is a free agent.

Although PDVSA's original five-year deal with Williams runs until the end of 2015, it is understood there will likely be an agreement reached to ensure the team is compensated for the change of plans.

That income, allied to any fresh commercial backing from Brazil that the team can secure if it signs Massa to race alongside Valtteri Bottas, should ensure that Williams is financially secure heading in to next year.

Speaking earlier this month, Maldonado openly admitted he was frustrated at Williams and would prefer to stay at home in 2014 than race in uncompetitive machinery again.

"I really need a good car to enjoy it, and this year I'm not enjoying it," Maldonado told AUTOSPORT.

"I'm living a really bad moment and I need some motivation to keep doing my best.

"I want something more. I'm here for something more."

Source: Autosport

#3 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,530 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:54

Replying to your own posts now?

You know, some say that's a sign of loneliness..... :p

#4 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,701 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 29 October 2013 - 15:24

Grosjean 'signed' for next year, according to Lotus

Lotus boss Eric Boullier says he is just waiting for the nod from the team's owners to finalise Romain Grosjean's new contract for 2014.

Grosjean's impressive form in recent races - scoring three consecutive podium finishes – has made it a no-brainer for the team to keep him on next year.

Boullier said after Grosjean's latest strong showing that he had agreed everything to keep the Frenchman for a third year, but Genii Capital had to give final approval.

"All the boxes are ticked, all the lights are green, and he has signed for next year," Boullier told AUTOSPORT.

"We just need to make sure that we have confirmation [from Genii] as soon as possible."

Grosjean has been well aware that his future will remain up in the air until Lotus can sort out its financial situation, amid talks with investors Quantum Motorsports.

"Everything is open for the future even though I feel good," said Grosjean in India

"They are trying to sort the financial trouble and it puts the rest on the back foot.

"But I am pretty happy to be here, and open as well, as you never know what the future is."

Grosjean had to wait until after the season finished last year to be told he would be retained, but he is keeping his fingers crossed that matters get sorted quicker this time around.

"I think I waited until December 16 last year, so hopefully it will be earlier than that because I have holiday plans," he said.

"It would be nice to go on holiday with the future sorted, but I am not in a rush."

Source: Autosport

#5 JoeC

JoeC

Ooh, shiny stars

• 1,996 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 23:34

After weeks of speculation about the future of the Venezuelan driver, who has endured a troubled time at Williams this year, high-level sources have revealed he will be racing elsewhere next season.

Please let it be NASCAR or Rallying or MotoGP or Formula Ford or anywhere that isn't still in F1. He can drive the odd good race in a season, maybe 2 over the course, then everything else is just a miserable disappointment for whoever he crashes into.

#6 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,256 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 03 November 2013 - 20:54

Guess Lotus are prepared for Maldonado's arrival...

#7 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,701 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 22:54

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

Investors Quantum Motorsports tell Lotus F1 team to sign Hulkenberg

Lotus boss Eric Boullier has been told by the team's new investors to sign off a 2014 deal with Nico Hulkenberg.

After months of uncertainty about the status of a partnership with Quantum Motorsports, the man behind the consortium that is buying a 35 per cent stake in the team from Genii Capital revealed at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that the deal was now done.

And, as a priority, he is urging Boullier to finalise a contract that will bring in Hulkenberg as replacement for the outgoing Kimi Raikkonen.

Source: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/111129

#8 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,934 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 22:57

About time, I think he's more than earned his chance to drive for a decent team. I hope they don't sign Maldonado though I can't stand him.

#9 JoeC

JoeC

Ooh, shiny stars

• 1,996 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 23:33

By signing Maldonado, they will guarantee that they win a race next season. They also guarantee that he'll only contribute 25 points all season long, and will need 15 new cars.

I'd much rather see Hulkenberg get a shot at it.

#10 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,701 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 16:45

Know why we said it's called Silly Season. Here's why.

Magnussen could replace Perez at McLaren

It was believed McLaren is on the verge of confirming Sergio Perez as Jenson Button's continuing teammate for 2014.

But a report by respected correspondent Tom Cary in the Telegraph newspaper claims the Mexican rookie could still be ousted after just a single season with the great British team.

Reportedly, Perez would be replaced by another rookie, the McLaren-developed youngster Kevin Magnussen, who has just wrapped up the Formula Renault 3.5 series.

The son of former McLaren test driver Jan, the young Magnussen won a GP2 test as a prize for his 2013 title, but according to Cary he "pulled out" of the run at the last minute this week "for unexplained reasons".

McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh recently described Formula Renault 3.5 as "a much higher quality championship than GP2", and so the test may have been seen as a threat to Magnussen's reputation.

Indeed, Formula Renault 3.5 has also housed well-known, F1-linked names like Stoffel Vandoorne, Antonio Felix da Costa, Sergey Sirotkin and Carlos Sainz jr this year.

The newly-crowned 2013 GP2 champion, meanwhile, is Fabio Leimer. For the young Swiss, F1 is "as far away from Leimer as the moon", according to the veteran correspondent for Blick newspaper, Roger Benoit.

21-year-old Magnussen, on the other hand, is knocking loudly on the door, but it was expected he would make his debut for a team like Force India or Marussia.

"For me," he told Cary in Abu Dhabi, "if I can get a competitive seat in the first year I would prefer that.

"It's true there is a bigger risk in going to a top team because if you don't perform then you're out of formula one. But for me, if I get to a top team and don't perform then it means I'm not good enough," added Magnussen.

Source: http://www.grandprix...ns/ns26767.html

#11 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,256 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:09

21-year-old Magnussen, on the other hand, is knocking loudly on the door, but it was expected he would make his debut for a team like Force India or Marussia.

Bit offensive to lump Force India in the same range as Marussia. :p

#12 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,701 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:23

Bit offensive to lump Force India in the same range as Marussia. :p

Probably less in the same range, more that they were his original options (FI due to Mercedes ties, Marussia because bottom team)

#13 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• 1,769 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:44

Be nice to see Hulkenburg get the Drive, deserves it along with Grosjean, both have had a really strong performance in the last few race.

Can't wait to see Maldanado lose his seat though I kinda hope he'll end up with one of the back of the grid teams, they could do with his cash to help them compete a bit better.

#14 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,366 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:27

Kevin Magnussen closes on 2014 McLaren F1 seat over Sergio Perez

Kevin Magnussen is now favourite to land the second 2014 seat at McLaren, AUTOSPORT has learned, following a series of meetings at the team over the past week.

Although it had appeared in Abu Dhabi that Sergio Perez was closing in on a new deal following some strong performances, his lacklustre pace at Yas Marina prompted fresh questions about his future.

With McLaren having made it clear for months that Perez's consistency was its main concern, it is understood that the outfit was unimpressed about how his race in Abu Dhabi compared to that of Jenson Button, who had been forced to pit for a new nose early on.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh even publicly said that Perez's result there was "disappointing", while deliberately praising Button's form on a weekend when the team had been expected to take a decent haul of points.

In the wake of that race, senior McLaren staff members are understood to have spent time this week evaluating the driver issue.

Although no final decision has been taken, sources suggest that there is now a widespread feeling within the team that Magnussen should be given the nod, and it is suggested that he is actually now favourite to replace Perez.

As well as winning the Formula Renault 3.5 championship this year, Magnussen has impressed McLaren in his two F1 test outings.

Only last month Whitmarsh praised his pace amid a push to get him an F1 seat in 2014.

"He has had two runs in an F1 car [and] in Abu Dhabi, on his third flying lap, he did a time that was good enough for sixth on the grid, which is pretty impressive," said Whitmarsh.

Source: Autosport

#15 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,701 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 18:18

I like the sound of this.