232 posts in this topic

Posted

However, sources have confirmed that Pastor Maldonado has finally agreed to join the [Lotus] team, alongside Romain Grosjean.

Aw guys, seriously. What. The. Flibbertigibbet. Lotus have gone from being one of the better teams in my book to me hoping they drop back into the Sauber/FI/Williams midfield.

Posted

Signing Maldonado is a cry for financial help, nothing more.  They can sugar coat his signing by saying he's a proved winner but that was SO last year.

Posted

Mercedes AMG Petronas for 2014 (Y)

Posted

I hope someone looks at these paid drivers it is ruining the sport.

Hulkenberg should be in one of the top teams now. He has proven it year after year now. I was expecting Lotus but with the financial troubles they are having, they go for Maldonado. How do they expect to move up the field when you hire rubbish drivers.  Instead he is going to be stuck at Force India. Who seem to be going backwards.

Grosjean and Hulkenberg. That would have been a good team.

Posted

[tweet]https://twitter.com/F1Racing_mag/status/406453121779396608[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Lotus_F1Team/status/406453321109471233[/tweet]

Posted

Scary to think what Maldonado will do with a potentially race winning car under him :laugh:

2 people like this

Posted

A video of what is allegedly the Ferrari 2014 v6 Turbo F1 engine built into a road car:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3H6Jxisfk[/media]

Posted

[tweet]https://twitter.com/wtf1couk/status/406855451674820609[/tweet]

Posted

Updated the original post to reflect recent announcements and the season conclusion for car numbers for next year.

Posted

According to Spiegel.de (article in German) Nico H

Posted

According to Spiegel.de (article in German) Nico H

Posted

[tweet]https://twitter.com/clubforce/status/407889787001921536[/tweet]

Posted

^^

So [url=http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1184751-formula-1-world-championship-2014-pre-season-discussion/?view=findpost&p=596112563]Taki was right for once![/url] :P

Such a shame for Paul Di Resta though; it looks like Adrian Sutil's being kept on, so unless Paul gets the other Sauber seat, he'll probably be out of F1 next year. :/ If it happens, I reckon he'll probably go for a second DTM title then. Or maybe he'll follow Mark Webber into the WEC...

Posted

The race calendar's been revised for 2014...

[attachment=353621:Capture.PNG]

So no New Jersey, no Mexico, Korea's dropped, and Abu Dhabi's now the final race. Fucking hell, Bernie.  :/

Posted

I was just posting that! :laugh:

What a terrible way to end 2014 with Abu Dhabi. If everything came down to the final race. Think how boring it would be.

Get pole, you've pretty much won it. I suppose they got a bit of extra cash to have Abu Dhabi as the final race.

I don't think we'll see the New Jersey race happen.

1 person likes this

Posted

The race calendar has now been confirmed and no further changes should, in theory, be made.

http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-sport-council-3

16/03 AUS Grand Prix of Australia
30/03 MYS Grand Prix of Malaysia
06/04 BHR Grand Prix of Bahrain
20/04 CHN Grand Prix of China
11/05 ESP Grand Prix of Spain
25/05 MCO Grand Prix of Monaco
08/06 CAN Grand Prix of Canada
22/06 AUT Grand Prix of Austria
06/07 GBR Grand Prix of Great Britain
20/07 DEU Grand Prix of Germany
27/07 HUN Grand Prix of Hungary
24/08 BEL Grand Prix of Belgium
07/09 ITA Grand Prix of Italy
21/09 SGP Grand Prix of Singapore
05/10 JPN Grand Prix of Japan
12/10 RUS Grand Prix of Russia
02/11 USA Grand Prix of USA (Austin)
09/11 BRA Grand Prix of Brazil
23/11 ARE Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi

Posted

Posted

Not sure how to feel about that, but what I do like is this.

Drivers will be asked to choose their race number, between 2 and 99, for the duration of their career in the FIA Formula One World Championship. Number 1 will be reserved for the current World Champion, should he choose to use it.

If more than one driver choses the same number, priority will be given to the driver who finished highest in the previous year

Posted

I can live with the permanent numbers - the older ones among us will remember the numbering system up until the mid-90s, which was basically permanent.

But double points for the final race? What is this I don't even...

Posted

Isn't there another series (Formula EE i think) that allow viewers to vote on the driver to get a boost for the next race?

This double points thing reminds me of that. If a teams dominates through out the season. Then they deserve to win.

Not lose out because of the double points rule.

While watching Vettel win every race was boring. Red Bull has the best car and did the best job and deserved to win.

Posted

Driving in the middle of the desert with mile-wide run off areas is twice as challenging as Monaco (Y)

Posted

Isn't there another series (Formula EE i think) that allow viewers to vote on the driver to get a boost for the next race?

Yep, Formula E. They're using the "Push-to-Pass" system like in IndyCar and the ill-fated A1GP, only they're also allowing fans to vote via Twitter to give one of the drivers an extra "Push-to-Pass" for each race. Pretty big downer to what has the potential to be a good series. On the bright side though, no DRS. :p

Posted

The rule should be double point on the first few races. It would actually give a chance to middle team who developed a great car during winter put can't follow the development pace of the big team.

Posted

Someone over at F1 Fanatic went through every single season of F1 to see what would have happened if the double points final race rule were in effect...

1950: No change, champion Farina won the last race

1951: No change, champion Fangio won the last race,

1952: No change, champion Ascari won the last race

1953: Fangio would be champion instead of Ascari. Even though Ascari would still have scored more points over the season (46.5 vs 29.5+8= 37.5) The rule of the time of only the top results from each half of the season counting would mean Fangio would lead Ascari 36 to 34.5 due to winning the last race

1954: No change, Hawthorn won the last race, but this would not make up his deficit to Fangio, he would displace Gonzalez as the runner up though.

1955: No change, champion Fangio won the last race

1956: Moss would be champion over Fangio having won the last race, the score would be 35 Moss to 30 Fangio, instead of 27 Moss to 30 Fangio .Both had to discard points due to the rules, actual scores were 28 Moss vs 33 Fangio. Fangio would have had to ditch his second place at the last race if you count discarding his worst result as discarding his worst finish. If you say discarding his worst result would mean discarding the least points he would discard a victory, losing 8 but gaing 12 due to his double scoring second place at the last race. Still leaving him runner up at 35 to 34

1957: No change, Moss won the last race but this would not be enough to catch Fangio

1958: Moss would displace Hawthorn as champion having won the last race. The score would be Moss 49 vs Hawthorn 48 (55 for hawthorn before discarding points)

1959: No change, Bruce Mclaren won the last race but ended up only 6th in the standings Tony brooks would equal Jack Brabhams score of 31, but Brabham would still take the title on countback, having one more 3d place

1960: No change, Moss won the last race, but didn