Formula 1 World Championship 2014 Pre-Season Discussion

^^

Some more "proposals" on top of those...

The FIA has announced details of rule changes for the 2014 F1 season including fixed numbers for drivers throughout their careers, a new five second race penalty and double championship points awarded in the season?s final race. However, whilst these new rules have been accepted by teams and drivers, many proposed changes were rejected. Here are the new rules that will NOT be adopted next season:

- Loud music played in heavily branded room to cover stilted conversations amongst top three finishers.

- Post-race watches limited to diameter of no more than 60 centimetres.

- One championship point deducted every time a driver uses the words ?for sure? in a TV interview.

- Five championship points for any driver who passes Maldonado without sustaining bodywork damage.

- Stefano Domenicali limited to 100 TV appearances per race weekend.

- Christian Horner banned from starting the answer to any question by saying ?Yea no?.

- Raikkonen awarded one point for every time he manages to speak.

- di Resta awarded one point for every time he manages not to.

- Jenson Button to clear his throat.

- Drivers permitted to have sponsors? logos tattooed onto face and tongue.

- Racing to take place on interesting tracks that allow overtaking.

All change at Force India as Perez joins Hulkenberg

Force India have confirmed Sergio Perez will race for them in 2014 after signing a ?multi-year deal? with the former McLaren driver.

He will partner Nico Hulkenberg, whose signing was confirmed earlier this month, as the team changes both its drivers for the new season.

The news means both Paul di Resta and Adrian Sutil have lost their seats.

Source: F1 Fanatic

If they can give them a decent car. Force India could become quite a decent team next year.

Shame about Di Resta but he just didn't do enough this year to convince me that he is improving.

Sutil's joined Sauber.

Adrian Sutil will continue his F1 career with Sauber next season after being dropped by Force India.

Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn said Sauber ?have been wanting to work together with him for a while?.

?Adrian had already visited the factory at the end of September to have a look at the infrastructure. Adrian is not only very fast, but also brings a lot of experience, which is very important looking at the new regulations for next year.?

Should point out Sergey Sirotkin hasn't been confirmed by Sauber yet; he's still a developmental driver at the moment, so he may not be on the grid next season; probably the team's third driver. Sauber says they'll be announcing their second driver "at a later date".

Sutil's joined Sauber.

Should point out Sergey Sirotkin hasn't been confirmed by Sauber yet; he's still a developmental driver at the moment, so he may not be on the grid next season; probably the team's third driver. Sauber says they'll be announcing their second driver "at a later date".

Wikipedia is still saying that though, I've removed him for now. Also removed driver numbers since everyone is picking their own. There are some reveals as to who has gone for what already.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Q1UgQEQ.png

Also Eddie Jordan = God.

Wikipedia is still saying that though, I've removed him for now.

Yeah, it looks like that plan's fallen through. BBC's explained why. "They had initially intended to use 19-year-old Russian novice Sergey Sirotkin as a result of an investment deal with companies from his home country. But that plan was changed when they realised Sirotkin, a midfield runner in the Formula Renault 3.5 feeder series, was probably not ready for F1."

He's 18, so "probably not ready for F1" is a bit of an understatement. :P

Sauber are keeping Gutierrez alongside Sutil.

Sauber have completed their 2014 driver line-up by retaining Esteban Gutierrez.

The 22-year-old Mexican, who made his debut with the Swiss team in 2013 and had a mixed opening season, will partner German Adrian Sutil.

Russian Sergey Sirotkin, who Sauber had intended to promote, will be their reserve driver.

The 19-year-old, whose presence in the team is linked to an investment deal with Russian companies, was too inexperienced to earn an F1 licence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25475940

Also...

Kobayashi set for F1 return with Caterham
Kamui Kobayashi is set to return to F1 with Caterham after emerging as the most qualified candidate for the seat.

With rookie Marcus Ericsson likely to be in the other car the team has been keen to employ an experienced driver.

At the same time Tony Fernandes and his fellow shareholders are still reluctant to keep pumping money into the team, and thus the ideal candidate would have experience and a budget.

Heikki Kovalainen has been in the frame for months, and until recently was under contract to the team, but as is well known he does not have any sponsorship. The same applies to Paul di Resta, the only other experienced driver who competed in 2013 and is without a drive.

Although he last raced in F1 in 2012 Kobayashi is eminently qualified ? having compared well with Sergio Perez at Sauber ? and more importantly unlike Kovalainen, he has significant sponsorship. Sources told this blog that he has a budget of ?6m.

If confirmed Kobayashi?s return will be well received by both Bernie Ecclestone and Honda, owners of Suzuka, as it will be a major boost for the Japanese GP.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/12/20/kobayashi-set-for-f1-return-with-caterham/

• Like 1

Great move Caterham!

By great move, i mean terrible move. They wanted experience so they went with Kobayashi.. sure he is exciting to watch when he is on the attack. I wouldn't call him experienced though.

Should have gone with Kovalainen. Once again though it is all about the money.

The more i see these paid drivers, the more i want a spending cap.

Great move Caterham!

By great move, i mean terrible move. They wanted experience so they went with Kobayashi.. sure he is exciting to watch when he is on the attack. I wouldn't call him experienced though.

He isn't confirmed yet, still rumoured. Kobayashi has no money, remember how he looked to his fans to donate to keep him in F1 last year?

• Like 1

I really hope come the end of this month, we'll see something a little bit different than what they're predicting. It seems that Caterham has gone with that according to Scarbs but I can imagine at least McLaren going with something better, especially since they avoided the stepped nose in 2012.

Lotus to miss first 2014 Formula 1 winter test at Jerez

Lotus is to miss the first 2014 Formula 1 pre-season test at Jerez in Spain.

Just three weeks before the new 2014 cars are scheduled to run for the first time, Lotus has revealed that its E22 will not join the other outfits in the test that starts on January 28.

Lotus technical director Nick Chester said that the team instead planned to launch its car after Jerez, prior to it running for the first time at the subsequent Bahrain tests that begins on February 19.

"We're going to keep our car under wraps a little longer than some other teams," he said. "We've decided that attending the Jerez test isn't ideal for our build and development programme.

"We are likely to unveil the car before attending the Bahrain tests, and in Bahrain we should really be able to put the car through its paces in representative conditions."

Chester added that Lotus had passed some of the mandatory FIA crash tests with its new car and only needed to complete the nose crash test now...

Continued: Autosport

Great move Caterham!

Shoulda gone with Yuji Ide.