Nokia sold 8.8 Million Lumia phones in Q3.

Nokia has once again managed to improve its Lumia sales figures worldwide. The latest Q3 earnings show another quarterly improvement, up to 8.8 million in the latest quarter. That's a slight increase on the record high of 7.4 million in the last quarter, and up from just 2.9 million in the same quarter last year. Up to September 30th, Nokia has sold 36.1 million Lumias in total since shipping its first Windows Phone device, the Lumia 800, in November 2011.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/29/5041666/nokia-lumia-sales-q3-2013

Of note, 1.4million of those were in North America, the most in a quarter to date.

It's quite amazing to think that the Samsung Galaxy S4 has sold more in six months than the entire Lumia range has in two years. You also have to bear in mind that the S4 is a premium handset, whereas most of the Lumia sales are coming from the budget range.

It's quite amazing to think that the Samsung Galaxy S4 has sold more in six months than the entire Lumia range has in two years. You also have to bear in mind that the S4 is a premium handset, whereas most of the Lumia sales are coming from the budget range.

And this is relevant to the thread, how?

And this is relevant to the thread, how?

It puts the sales figures into perspective - without that the numbers are meaningless. The S4 sold 10m in less than one month, which is more than the Lumia range did in an entire quarter.

Perspective ? 

3 years ago exactly ZERO Windows Phones where sold. Now Nokia is selling nearly 9 million in a quarter. that's perspective.

your perspective is rather meaningless in this mater and is only serving to compare apples to oranges to claim that oranges are better because they sell more. 

It puts the sales figures into perspective - without that the numbers are meaningless. The S4 sold more in one month than the Lumia range did in an entire quarter.

So, unrelated Product X sold more than Product Y, so what? That's not what this thread is about. It doesn't matter how many Galaxy phones were sold, you should be comparing last quarter's sales with these numbers, which show the Lumia's sales are still up from the previous quarter either way, which is a good thing. 

Lol calm down Microsoft zealots; while comparing to Samsung isnt particularly helpful, at its height it would be everyone else comparing to Nokia so it does show how far they have fallen. 

That said, constant growth quarter after quarter is a positive trend and Nokia devices do deserve wider recognition as they are the best out there. You have to wonder where Microsoft would be without them too as it is Nokia, not Microsoft, that is dragging Windows Phone into 3rd place in the market.

Everyone knows Samsung is selling a lot, why not compare these numbers to some of the many other Android OEMs though?

I remember when LG managed to finally sell over 10 million and it was talked up as something pretty great. I think it's interesting how the majority of phone makers don't sell as many as Samsung and Apple at this point.

That said, growing sales are growing sales, if some want to put a damper on the good news by comparing it to one of the top two right now then that's fine. It doesn't however change the facts that the Lumia line is growing and had Nokia posting a profit for the quarter.

Perspective ? 

3 years ago exactly ZERO Windows Phones where sold. Now Nokia is selling nearly 9 million in a quarter. that's perspective.

your perspective is rather meaningless in this mater and is only serving to compare apples to oranges to claim that oranges are better because they sell more. 

Come on hawk, you're both right. Your perspective is from one angle and correct, and tacfy's perspective is another angle and is correct. Which is more relevant? That's a matter of opinion. Despite the sales tacfy's take does show that it may not be as significant on the whole as it would seem looking at your perspective, coming from 0 to where it is today. tacfy's perspective is definitely one that devs look at when deciding how much money and effort to put into a platform. At the same time, your perspective shows the growth and potential of the WP platform.

When you talk sales, you open the discussion up to interpretation and all points of view. As long as the facts are correct, you can only debate which is more relevant. Neither is irrelevant.

Everyone knows Samsung is selling a lot, why not compare these numbers to some of the many other Android OEMs though?

I remember when LG managed to finally sell over 10 million and it was talked up as something pretty great. I think it's interesting how the majority of phone makers don't sell as many as Samsung and Apple at this point.

That said, growing sales are growing sales, if some want to put a damper on the good news by comparing it to one of the top two right now then that's fine. It doesn't however change the facts that the Lumia line is growing and had Nokia posting a profit for the quarter.

I'm not sure that matters since a developer can develop an app for all of those Android devices. That's where total market size comes in to play. Unfortunately, Nokia is the only truly relevant WP maker right now. I have a feeling HTC is done, though I'm still pining away for the unibody HTC One running WP that was promised.

So, unrelated Product X sold more than Product Y, so what? That's not what this thread is about.

They're not unrelated - they're direct competitors. If the Lumia was outselling the Galaxy range there's no way that people would be downplaying that angle.

It doesn't matter how many Galaxy phones were sold, you should be comparing last quarter's sales with these numbers, which show the Lumia's sales are still up from the previous quarter either way, which is a good thing. 

Of course it matters because it demonstrates consumer support for a brand. Quarter-on-quarter and year-on-year sales are important but the growth rate is way behind that of the Galaxy range for the same period in their lifecycle.

Samsung upped their shipments by over 22m units in 2013 yet its overall market share actually fell, so Nokia increasing its shipments by 1.4m for a quarter is woeful. As I said, my point is only to put the numbers into perspective.

I'm not sure that matters since a developer can develop an app for all of those Android devices. That's where total market size comes in to play. Unfortunately, Nokia is the only truly relevant WP maker right now. I have a feeling HTC is done, though I'm still pining away for the unibody HTC One running WP that was promised.

Who knows?  I mean Nokia is managing to grow it's share at a steady pace, if other OEMs wanted to put the effort into it they could do the same, unfortunately HTC doesn't do enough on the software side to support it's users like Nokia does and I'm a 8X owner.    There's a case to be made that if they did more with apps etc they'd sell more as well.    Either way, if we're talking about perspective here why not show what other OEMs do?   That way we get a better picture overall, and what I mean is that when I and others say how Samsung is eating everyones lunch when it comes to Android I mean the exact same thing that Nokia did to HTC on WP, they come out with the lions share on that platform while the rest fight for what's left.

Anyways, it'd be interesting just to see a better OEM break down.