• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 D!ABOL!C

D!ABOL!C

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One (M8) Android 4.4.3

Posted 29 October 2013 - 17:31

Hello there.

I'm having this weird video issue and I cannot figure out what exactly is causing the issue. Basically what happens is the computer will lockup and there will be these weird pixellation issues on the screen. The only way to get out of it is to forcefully reboot.

Troubleshooting steps: Clean Formats, Latest Drivers for Video, Memory Tests, Hard Drive tests (chkdsk)

It almost seems like a heat issue, which it may be, but I put a little desktop fan right on the side intake (side panel has fan) and the issue persists.

I'm kind of at a loss. The hardware will be 6yrs old minus the Video card in February. Any ideas on what the issue could be? I'm also attaching a picture of what the display looks like after it happens.

Here is my setup.

WIndows 8 OS, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Nvidia 560 GTX TI, Power Supply is a PC Power & Cooling 600Watt.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Here is the screenshotj3OGSQn.jpg

Best Answer +Zlip792 , 31 October 2013 - 21:23

Well, that was short lived. I just turned on my computer after getting home from work and the video went all psycho again. This time though I could actually read the message on the screen and I got a Windows 8 message that said the nvlddmkm.sys caused a problem and it did a memory dump.

I guess the card is kaput, gonna send it off I guess, unless anyone else disagrees.

Before sending back card, I suggest send your memory dump to ManuelG guy at nvidia forum or mail it describing your issue, linking this thread link at following email address:

driverfeedback@nvidia.com

You are not the only one facing this issue.

Only two things worked for me:

1) Using Windows 7 64-bit stick with 314.22 WHQL driver

2) Using Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit stick with latest WHQL. It does happen on Windows 8.1 as well but Microsoft has remarkably improved timeout device recovery functionality, I just get single white flash and then all OK and tooltip show that driver got error while sometime my mouse start lagging but I get enough time to restart and it all works.

All who thinks that it is specific to you, I have to say sorry you are not alone in this boat:

Figure out yourself: 

https://forums.gefor...3-see-page-17-/

Nvidia also provided test driver for people facing this issue yesterday:

https://forums.gefor...991422/#3991422

You can test them as other one reply comes from nvidia forum, they say with new WHQL driver 330.5 situation is not that much bad (at least for OS with better Timeout device recovery functionality). As I mentioned in point 2 I made with Windows 8.1 scenario.

Go to the full post

#2 FriendlyBully

FriendlyBully

Neowinian

Posted 29 October 2013 - 17:41

Your video card is the problem. I guarantee it. 

#3 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 29 October 2013 - 17:49

If it constant then it is your GPU otherwise even latest WHQL nvidia driver for me with GTX 460 1 GB also cause hard lock and similar kind of issues like purple screen and garbage on screen.

#4 flynempire

flynempire

It's called the bat and yes Mr. Wayne it comes in black :)

• OS: Windows 7 Pro SP-1, Windows 8.1 (RT) Android 4.1.2 Windows 8.1 Up1
  • Phone: Samsung Exhibit (Latest Model)

Posted 29 October 2013 - 17:53

It could be the video card, could be heat issue. Never really seen this before.

Is the video card compatible with Windows 8? If not you should consider one that will be. Also driver issue could be a cause maybe a prior version could help? Sometimes the latest drivers have issues and the safe best is to roll back to previous with no issue.

Wow I have not seen that before. Seen monitors go black or have lines but not boxes like that

#5 OP D!ABOL!C

D!ABOL!C

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 October 2013 - 17:59

If it constant then it is your GPU otherwise even latest WHQL nvidia driver for me with GTX 460 1 GB also cause hard lock and similar kind of issues like purple screen and garbage on screen.

It's not constant which is so strange. Basically how this particular incident happened was I started to watch this video, then I left my computer to go do something else. Then when I came back about half an hour later, i'm greeted with this. It does not do it everyday though. I shutdown my PC every night but the issue occurs perhaps 2 to 3 times a week.

It could be the video card, could be heat issue. Never really seen this before.

Is the video card compatible with Windows 8? If not you should consider one that will be. Also driver issue could be a cause maybe a prior version could help? Sometimes the latest drivers have issues and the safe best is to roll back to previous with no issue.

Wow I have not seen that before. Seen monitors go black or have lines but not boxes like that

I have heard that too, I believe it's the 320 series drivers have issues. Oddly enough, the reason I bought this card is because it was newer so I could play some newer games without issues. I believe the card is compatible, I bought it last summer and haven't had any real issues with it.

I'm trying to avoid throwing too much money at this because if I purchase any new hardware, I might as well just rebuild with newer hardware all around.

#6 flynempire

flynempire

Posted 29 October 2013 - 18:09

I hear you. I don't like to throw money at the problem if I can help it. It does seem like a Video Card Issue though. The maker of the card should list if it is WHQL certified for Windows 8. If it is then you would be sure.

You could also have a card going bad. Unfortunately some hardware you buy can go bad quickly. See if you can try a different driver first and if that does not work can you check cooling?

Does the card have a fan or does it not have one? See if it gets hot in the machine after some time. If it does better cooling would help but there are several steps you can try. Again try a different driver and make sure it is WHQL certified or tested at least.

#7 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 29 October 2013 - 18:18

It's not constant which is so strange. Basically how this particular incident happened was I started to watch this video, then I left my computer to go do something else. Then when I came back about half an hour later, i'm greeted with this. It does not do it everyday though. I shutdown my PC every night but the issue occurs perhaps 2 to 3 times a week.

Try 314.22 WHQL driver which is only works stable for me and tell me later back.

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 October 2013 - 18:23

Graphics card or video cable(unless it's vga)

#9 OP D!ABOL!C

D!ABOL!C

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 October 2013 - 18:23

I'll try the older driver and get back to you all. Thanks for the replies.

#10 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 29 October 2013 - 18:28

I had a similar thing when my video card failed (as a result of it overheating after I overclocked it). Hopefully it's not permanent, though in my case it was.

#11 OP D!ABOL!C

D!ABOL!C

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 October 2013 - 18:41

I had a similar thing when my video card failed (as a result of it overheating after I overclocked it). Hopefully it's not permanent, though in my case it was.

I guess worse case is that I have a bad card. If it is, I consider myself to be incredibly lucky. I haven't had a major component fail on me in a very long time. I don't count Hard Drives in those, so I guess I had a good run.

#12 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 29 October 2013 - 19:08

I guess worse case is that I have a bad card. If it is, I consider myself to be incredibly lucky. I haven't had a major component fail on me in a very long time. I don't count Hard Drives in those, so I guess I had a good run.

Yeah, it sounds like you've been pretty lucky overall and it's still possible it's a driver issue rather than a failure. That type of distortion is usually caused by faulty memory on the GPU, which typically occurs due to overheating. It could be caused by poor ventilation, bad drivers (occasionally they set the wrong voltage or don't cool as expected) or simply the luck of the draw.

Best of luck with it.

#13 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 29 October 2013 - 19:19

This is video memory corruption. Check your gpu temperatures (GPU-Z), try the card in a different slot, of course make sure you're running the latest drivers. Usually though this means hardware failure and you need a new one. 

#14 flynempire

flynempire

Posted 29 October 2013 - 19:48

Get back to us once you try the older driver. That may indeed work but it also seems like others are saying overheating. If you have a spare card lying around you can pop it in and install the driver.

If nothing were to happen with that card then yes it is the existing video card. Also check for dust in the machine. Dust is notorious for chocking components and overheating them. I carry a leaf blower for customers and blow out all the dust when I see to much in their machines. May be extreme but it works.

I just dealt with a machine 2 weeks ago that once it was turned off I placed my hand in the middle of the case and that sucker was hot. Cant say enough about good cooling and proper ventilation!

#15 flynempire

flynempire

Posted 29 October 2013 - 19:50

By the way you are lucky. I have built machines for myself where everything lasted for awhile but eventually they go. Had two Antec towers from 2004 last me until last year and then did not work any more.