PS4 vs Xbox One: Battlefield 4 Comparison

All this screenshot science over video quality yet no one has started a thread fighting about AUDIO quality yet?

There's a whole other front in the CONSOLE WAR that has yet to be fought.

Give it time, your wish will be granted.

I would not compare 2 versions of a game using a youtube video. You need to play both versions on the genuine hardwares.

You can find youtube video where Witcher or Skyrim looks as good on console as on PC while in fact it's not even really close.

These guys do an excellent job with comparisons...

http://www.lensoftruth.com/

Since it's a little game shop in florida, you will have to wait for the official release to see any real comparisons. I used these guys when the PS3 ports were being released. 

The contrast level is quite different, XBox has higher contrast and less blur so IMO it looks better (sharper) overall, although the excesive contrast looks weird and a bit too unrealistically sharp sometimes.

It isn't looking impressive on either console anyway, not in a "wow, next gen gaming!" way.

Seems like a way to save face, tbh. "Our sources tell us", "everyone else had it wrong", "trust us" and the like.

the setting is in the dash to turn the full range RGB on or off. turning it on in the dash obviously didn't actually turn it on. its a bug. plus according to them, when its on, it will look even better.

The contrast level is quite different, XBox has higher contrast and less blur so IMO it looks better (sharper) overall, although the excesive contrast looks weird and a bit too unrealistically sharp sometimes.

It isn't looking impressive on either console anyway, not in a "wow, next gen gaming!" way.

I wouldn't turn to BF3 for realistic contrast, my memory of the game was a JJ abrams interactive Movie. Lens Flare central. Really detracted from the immersion for me. Felt like I was looking through a camera, not a characters eyes.

Exaggerated I know, but this sums up BF3 for me.

post-350302-0-94294700-1383081986.jpg

At first I thought the image on the right was the PS4 and I was thinking "man I didn't expect the PS4 to murder the Xbox One like that". Then I realized that that was actually the Xbox One! The image on PS4 is way too soft, it looks like they're using a poor quality upscaler to get from 900p to 1080p. It hardly matters that it's pushing more pixels if the detail gets smeared like that. This is especially obvious in comparison pictures with the PC.

That said the Xbox One capture suffered from limited-to-full range conversion issue so that should in good part explain the loss of fine color detail especially in the extremes of the spectrum - blacks and whites.

The resolution difference frankly isn't very noticeable - at first I thought the Xbox One actually had the higher resolution because of the sharper upscaler. It does show in some distant poorly AA'd scenery though.

Anyway, both look terrible compared to the PC version. Guess I'm not buying any consoles as usual.

• Like 1

Personally, I'll take native 1080p on the PS4 over upscaled 720p any day. Especially since the textures and blurriness can be fixed in a patch. You can't fix 720p.

This type of assumption is exactly why i laugh at all of these discussions.

Man, the Xbox One portion of that video is really not callibrated very well. Though it's probably the high contrats & crushed blacks that make it look better to some, I find it pretty hard to judge with such a borked video.

ps4 has less aliasing due to it being a blurry mess

j3LuLFUeaymSf.png

i must say, xbox even rivals the PC,which is running at 1080p on ultra

iNpbHMXyIny3J.png

Even in these shots the blacks on the Xbox One shots are really off.

the setting is in the dash to turn the full range RGB on or off. turning it on in the dash obviously didn't actually turn it on. its a bug. plus according to them, when its on, it will look even better.

Lets hope it gets better. I just find it odd, that according to Eurogamer apparantly every single website out there (except them, of course!) doesn't know how to do their job. :-)

j3LuLFUeaymSf.png

p3gf.png

iNpbHMXyIny3J.png

iqhk.png

Photoshop: Marquee around Xbox One > Ctrl+U > Lightness +8

How come the Xbox One is looking better than the PC in these shots? (At least in some parts, like the cheek, bit not the hat).

All this screenshot science over video quality yet no one has started a thread fighting about AUDIO quality yet?

Yup and I love your sig. Just right for this thread. PC user here :)

How would you measure quality I wonder? That'd be an interesting series of tests, and I wouldn't necessarily expect PC to win that particular battle at the moment. Maybe next gen AMD cards might do well...

If any of the 3 systems get in-game audio equivalent to this, I'd be impressed. 

Yup and I love your sig. Just right for this thread. PC user here :)

Lol, no way, we're the most divided, hate-filled group of the 3.  :rofl:

Lol, no way, we're the most divided, hate-filled group of the 3.  :rofl:

I tend to agree with that.  PC actually has divides among its own users.  There aren't any sub groups that fight about one console. 

On the pc, its open nature creates silly arguments over everything from software/OS to hardware brands like AMD vs NVIDIA

My graphics will beat any damn console and I'm proud  :sorcerer:  :p  :p

Prepare to defend to the death your choice of Video Card make, and even then, defend your choice of Video card among fans of that particular make. Defend your Processor choice, and then defend your choice to purchase that particular model of Processor, defend your RAM amount, RAM speed etc, defend your choice of keyboard and mouse.  :rofl:

It's be funny if a couple days later they say "Oops, we switched the labels.  The Xbox video is actually Playstation and vice versa."  :D

Prepare to defend to the death your choice of Video Card make, and even then, defend your choice of Video card among fans of that particular make. Defend your Processor choice, and then defend your choice to purchase that particular model of Processor, defend your RAM amount, RAM speed etc, defend your choice of keyboard and mouse.  :rofl:

post-56913-0-30605600-1383089195.jpg

Xbox one definitely looks better.  Better textures and better contrasts... I can change the color temp on my tv to alter the colors but wouldn't help the poor textures on the ps4

Yeah, I have to agree.  At times the XBox One had a much better draw distance as well...  And the PlayStation was really washed out...

Seems like to you can make arguments either way, depending on what company you prefer, I mean, kind of visuals you prefer

Personally, I don't think either look especially fantastic. 

I don't see any difference...maybe the X1 is brighter but that isn't really a difference is it...? I like the X1 for more than just gaming and I don't think anyone will really notice any difference while there getting raped by a 10 year old from Wyoming.

I definitely noticed the Xbox One edition seemed to have a longer draw distance, better textures and crisper visuals, whereas the PS4 version definitely had better shadows and had AA actually on.

Either way there isn't that much difference between them and considering this is a title across so many platforms, its nice to see some decent visuals being pushed out on both sides already.